What's new

Suggested titles for Warner Archives future selections (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Now I know I'm not the first one to bring this title up. But if Warners can release Mr. Limpet on BLU RAY, I can't see why the archive collection can't finally give us what was one of the highest selling video releases of its time. First time on DVD: Just in time for its 20th Anniversary-
Tiny toon Adventures - HOW I SPENT MY VACATION
imagine how that THUD sound system promo would play on our HD/surround systems.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
What I wish is that they would take their print of WEST OF ZANZIBAR and re-scan it at 2K or, hell, even at 720p with or without any restoration work done and give us a watchable DVD/R rather than the 1980's video scan they're selling through the Archives now for twenty bucks. I expect this horrid image cheap release from Alpha Video not from the Archives, for Christ's sake. Of the Chaneys they're offering now this one is the most infamous. Every kid who ever read Famous Monsters of FilmLand magazine back in the day has heard of it and seen the stills. Respect the classics you're selling us, at least a little bit. They CAN re-transfer their prints at Warners, can't they? They already own a couple machines to do it with, too, right? The rest don't look this awful, so maybe somethings up. Anyone got a clue?

I think there needs to be a thread * Suggested Warner Archives that should be on Blu Ray / DVD / Pressed discs*

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One title I'd love to see out is A Man Called Dagger with Paul Mantee, Terry Moore, and Jan Murray. There were many Bond-type spy films in the 60s, and the Archive should do a set of whatever spy films from the period they have. Also, Last Summer - directed by Frank Perry and starring the still-active trio of Richard Thomas, Barbara Hershey, and Bruce Davison.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I want to know when we will get the next Andy Hardy. I was hoping the whole series would be out by Christmas. WB said it was a big seller. I was not the only one asking that question which they also told me

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Ellis /t/284134/suggested-titles-for-warner-archives-future-selections/210#post_3923678
One title I'd love to see out is A Man Called Dagger with Paul Mantee, Terry Moore, and Jan Murray. There were many Bond-type spy films in the 60s, and the Archive should do a set of whatever spy films from the period they have. Also, Last Summer - directed by Frank Perry and starring the still-active trio of Richard Thomas, Barbara Hershey, and Bruce Davison.

I like that idea. Do Warners have rights to The Liquidator starring Rod Taylor and directed by Jack Cardiff? I would love to see this released. This is a Bond spoof based on a novel by John Gardner, who later continued the James Bond book series. Cardiff and Taylor collaborated on Dark Of The Sun, which was released by Warner Archive last year.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
THE LIQUIDATOR is MGM, so if Warner doesn't have it, it might find its way into the MGM Limited Edition Collection.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
LIQUIDATOR recently aired on TCM, so I would guess the Archive would have access. Coincidentally I mentioned MAN CALLED DAGGER on a prior thread and someone (can't recall who) replied that MGM no longer holds rights to it, which would explain its decades-long AWOL-ness. (He also called it cheezy -- and I agree, but as a '60s spy-film completist I delight in even the cheezy ones...).
These disappeared films often are tied up by heirs. Of course, I've no idea if that's the case with DAGGER, but the heirs who DO sit on rights, holding out for some illusory Bigger Better Deal, are truly clueless....

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
On the WB archive facebook wall WB is saying that they just finished remastering The Liquidator and it will surface at some point in the Archive .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks