Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Superman The Movie / Superman II (Theatrical) on BD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 03:52 AM

I think it is safe to say that there will be no further Superman releases on BD until the franchise is relaunched, rebooted, or rewhatevered.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#22 of 34 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,340 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 26 2009 - 08:05 AM

Posted ImageBoth versions of "Superman-The Movie" & "Superman II" in a deluxe BD box set with all the extras would be my choice for a Warner cross-promotion with the next theatrical movie in 2010!

#23 of 34 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 10:00 AM

I think it's really doubtful a new film will be released next year. There hasn't been any information about it. In fact, it's not even sure if it will be a sequel to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, or a reboot Superman.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#24 of 34 OFFLINE   Joe_G

Joe_G

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, as far as I know, there isn't gonna be a new Superman film for awhile, at least not next year. Last I heard, WB is going back and rebooting the franchise, ala Batman. Did we ever find out why a deluxe Superman box set wasn't released on HD-DVD/Blu-ray? There were plans initially to do it, but it only ended up happening on DVD only.

#25 of 34 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,137 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 26 2009 - 10:29 AM

I have S:TM, SII: the Donner cut and SR on HD DVD, and see no reason to double dip to BD, since the same encodes for video were used. I don't see the point of Warner going to the well again until the next Superman film comes out.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#26 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,484 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 11:22 AM

The only two versions of Superman & Superman 2 that I own are on HD-DVD. I have sene the big Superman tin that they release awhile back on SD-DVD. And I would have to say that I feel that video transfer on HD-DVD is noticable better that then 06' SD-DVD. I would very much like to see a new transfer for Bluray and lossless audio, especially since the HD-DVD only provided a Dolby Digital Plus track. I would very much like to see a Dolby True HD track on Bluray in the near future.

Also what is going on with WB not releasing Superman 3 & 4? Granted they may not be the strongest films out of the 4 but why not make them available? WB did the same thing with Lethal Weapon by only releasing the first two and then not releasing 3 & 4.

Hey WB whats the deal ???? Posted Image Posted Image

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#27 of 34 OFFLINE   John Stuart

John Stuart

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 26 2009 - 02:46 PM

Will the original track from SM: The Movie be included this time? Posted Image
"While technology progresses at the speed of light, it's implementation is filtered through the speed of bureaucracy."

#28 of 34 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 08:32 AM

So they're rebooting a reboot?

[BTW "rebooting" and "reimagining" have become the most over-used cinematic terms of the new century (and I know, I'm guilty as charged too! Posted Image ]

It doesn't sound like a new SUPERMAN is coming for quite likely years to come. I would hope it doesn't take WB that long to bring us the original movies like II and I's theatrical cut on BD.

#29 of 34 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 09:41 AM

Apparently Warner hasn't decided yet if they do a sequel to 'Returns' or indeed a reboot of the franchise. While I think a reboot is better ('Returns' wasn't well received) Singer promised an action loaded sequel to his film. Of course you could argue that since 'Returns' was a sequel as well he could've put more action into the thing in the first place, but never mind that. But a fresh new start might be better, as long as they don't use Luthor again.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#30 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,878 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 03:21 PM

Well, considering Superman Returns had a production budget of 300 million dollars you can't blame the film for breaking even. They could have crafted a film that equals it for half the cost, and the studio would have been plenty satisfied with the profits. I enjoyed Superman Returns when I watched it in the theater. But if someone gave me $20 if I'd watch it again, I'd probably turn down the offer. Absolutely zero rewatchability for me.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#31 of 34 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,137 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 27 2009 - 04:17 PM

Of course, that budget figure is based on all the aborted starts in the 90s and their pay-or-play contracts. Kevin Smith, Nic Cage and Tim Burton made an awful lot of money for versions that never got made.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#32 of 34 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 06:56 AM

Two words: Superman's kid. Nobody but Bryan Singer wanted to see that, and I would pass on a RETURNS sequel simply because I have no interest in seeing that scenario play itself out. I'm sure someone, somewhere liked it, but the great majority of viewers hated that unnecessary addition to the plot. It's like Superman's not interesting by himself, so let's give him some baggage and make him "modern" and "relevant" or something. Either way that soured RETURNS for me. It'd be like Christopher Nolan having Batman be a single dad. No thanks!

#33 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,878 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 07:26 PM

That was about 90% of what I hated about it. The rest was the clunky pacing of the film.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#34 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,289 posts

Posted May 02 2009 - 05:00 AM

I agree with everything that's been stated about Returns. The movie often felt like a boring, poorly paced, made-for-TV drama series strung together in some sort for a 2.5 hour movie. For the hell of it, I tried watching Returns a second time, but had to turn it off after a bit. If another Superman movie is made, I'd like to see a much different approach and not a weak attempt to semi-copy some of the original movie (and music)....which should just be left alone. Let's see something actually new. They should take a lesson from Nolan in this regard.