What's new

GPS (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Shane
I was wondering what type of GPS everyone was using in their car.

MotoNav

I just got this one (right) the other day and its great. Loving the compact size so i can take it with me and keep it in my pocket. Also love some of the features on it like displaying the speed limit and lane guidance that tells me which lane I should be in.

if you want the full specs and more pics its on motorola.com/motonav

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have a Magellin Maestro 4250. It's a pretty barebones GPS system but it does the one thing I bought it for well. Prevents me from getting lost.

What the hell is a map?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 260W tonight. But I've found it doesn't have my home address (none of the neighborhood, actually) so back it goes tomorrow.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Just to add because of the last post.

Most people recomend that you never store or use your actual home addess with any navigation unit. In case you lose it or it is stolen, then whomever then posseses the unit will not have your actual home address. Depending on WHAT is lost or stolen with that navi, you could find yourself with someone who knows where you live, a way to get there, and a way to get in.

Just a thought!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My point is its not that important I dont believe if your navigation unit does not have your home address. Its suggested you just store a close cross street as your home location - I mean hopefully, you will know how to get home from there.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
DaveF, just a thought (I don't own a car GPS unit, but a handheld one), did you make sure you have the latest mapset in the GPS, a chance that it might be too new from the dataset that Garmin has?

CRyan, maybe one should get the address of town's police station and label that as "Home". :laugh:

On my way to work this morning, I saw a TomTom 125 being advertised as under $100...

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have the latest map update. I'm trying to contact Garmin tech support to inquire further (but their support contact page seems broken). I'm in a new neighborhood, but the address has shown up this year in the onine map systems and is in TomTom's GPS.

At my wife's recommendation, I'm going to keep it. This is an impulse buy, at a good price; and I don't want to take the time to return this and buy a TomTom and hope that it does have my home address as well. This will be fine

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A couple of years ago a friend of mine gave me a Caliber P-3600 as a gift. It's very easy to use but quite often it can't find the satillite or thinks I'm somewhere I'm not making the driving directions kinda useless.

I bought a TomTom for my brother this year and while at the store I picked up an Omnitech. It's another off brand but after rebates, it was only $81. Not bad for a GPS with a 4:3 screen, if it works.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For GPS users: does your GPS accurately locate residential addresses? If you navigate to a specific house address, does the GPS get you to the right driveway?

I've found my Garmin nuvi cannot correctly find house addresses. I've tried three houses about 120 miles apart and it's off by 300 ft to 0.1 mi and does not locate houses correctly. And it's not just my unit; my mom has the same model and it behaves the same. I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I should return the Garmina and buy a model that works completely.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On a whim (and as a backup Christmas gift) I picked up a $80 Sony NV-U44 that has TTS at Sears a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it, though it's probably the least expensive GPS unit that offers TTS that I've come across lately. Anyone have any experience with this model? I've read some reviews, most weren't impressed at the original $249 MSRP price point, but for $80, it might be worth a gamble.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
My wife got me a TomTom for Christmas and I was checking it out locally yesterday. It has my house on the wrong end of the street. This is not new though. Other maps on the internet also start the numbering on the other end. I wonder if the local government or post office screwed up paperwork somewhere. :frowning:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I just bought my wife a Garmin nuvi 360 for Christmas. We were trying it out yesterday driving to a few places, and it seems to be very accurate on street addresses. It was 3 for 3 yesterday.

My very old Garmin Streetpilot III is also very accurate.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I bought my wife a Garmin 255w for Christmas. We noticed that if we do a "where am I" from house, it shows the address of the empty lot next door. Google maps and Live maps do the same thing, meaning that if I enter our address, it puts the bullseye on the empty lot next door.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Seeing the comments, I checked the three addresses that the Garmin goofs on with MapQuest. Same results. Mapquest gets them wrong in the same way Garmin does. I need to check with NavTech, the map maker, but it may be a systemic map problem, and not Garmin specifically.

Jason44

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I dont own a GPS device besides my iPhones maps function which works great for me haha and I always have it with me!

-Jason

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately, the iPhone can't do turn-by-turn directions, so it's of no use to those of us using a GPS while driving.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Bought the in-laws a Mio Moov 500 and it does not have their home mapped correctly (off by 2 house), but it was able to locate 3 other POI accurately in a town with a pop of just 4000.

Great for the price and has TTS and supports TMC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks