Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Highest Recommendations)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 ONLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 11 2008 - 10:45 AM

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 679 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted October 12 2008 - 12:24 AM

I sure hope the films become available separately. I dislike cartoons, and thought the third film was just bad. Anyhow, thanks for the review, and will look forward to buying the first two movies separately.
My DVDs

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 01:22 AM

I enjoyed the total package and like all 3 films each in their own way. A real keeper for me. I hope they do LOTR in the same manner when it comes out. Thanks for the review
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Butler

Mark Butler

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 02:46 AM

Nice Review. I am thinking of ordering this but I was wondering if you could check something out on the discs for me. Some of Warners (Harry Potter, Batman Begins etc.) discs have alternate language menus in them. For example if your blu-ray player is set to default to a display its menus in Japanese, if the disc has an alternate Japanese menu on it, it will load up that menu with available audio and subtitles for that language. Those language options are hidden unless your player is set to display that language. It is something that I discovered by accident. I rented I am Legend here (Japan) and when I put my disc in my PS3 it came up with an English menu. But none of the Japanese language or subtitle options were there, every thing was in English. I checked my PS3 to see what the problem was and noticed that it was set up to display menus in English. I changed it to display menus in Japanese and started the disc again and the Japanese menu came up and all the audio and subtitle options were there but some of the ones that were available on the English menu were gone. So if you could check this out I would be very grateful as the set is much cheaper ordered from the states and it comes out here in December. Thank you in advance
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be."

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 03:01 AM

They're releasing a 10th anniversary edition of the original Matrix next year, but I think this may be the only way to own either of the other two for a while.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#6 of 27 ONLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 12 2008 - 05:27 AM

Hi Mark. I changed the BD Menu language to Japanese and the disc menu language showed the change to that language. But not everything was in Japanese, for example "Special Features." As you drill deeper into the menus also, it's a mix of Japanese and English. I understand there's generally a mix of Japanese and English in use in Japan, but I'm curious how it's decided what gets which language.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Butler

Mark Butler

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thank you Cameron. As long as there are Japanese subtitles and/or language available for the movies that really is all I care about. Thank you again.
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be."

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,876 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 03:52 PM

I loved one, liked 2, am ambivalent about 3, but liked the Animatrix. And I've only purchased the original DVDs as they came out (so I have the original The Matrix DVD, not the remastered/reissued one). So this will be a no-brainer purchase for me.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Jari

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 02:59 AM

Any chance there being Finnish subtitles also? I'd really appreciate if anybody could check that out. it would be way cheaper to order from States. Thanks! Posted Image

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,695 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 13 2008 - 01:38 PM

What a massive box set and fantastic review!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,282 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 01:07 AM

Yes!! Fantastic review!!Posted Image
Steve Simon
Home Theater Forum
Retired Administration

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Jari

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 03:58 AM

Answering to myself. Someone at the AVS forum posted disc info and there's only Japanese language option in addition to the back cover specs. Still ordered the boxset from amazon since they dropped price to $74.95! Posted Image

Thanks Cameron for your great review!

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,772 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2008 - 05:00 AM

I was going to hold off on this release for awhile, but that Amazon price got me, too. Posted Image

Thanks for the great review, Cameron.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,694 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 07:28 AM

I was gonna hold off on this, but Best Buy's $74.99 price got me, especially since my wife gave me a BB $50.00 gift card recently. I went with the in-store pickup option (there's a store near my house), so I'll grab it on my way home from work tonight. The Animatrix in 1080p? Can't wait to see it. Great review, Cameron!

#15 of 27 ONLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 14 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I hope you enjoy the collection!

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,730 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 09:13 AM

Nice review. If I can find these for a good price I'll finally pick up this box set. I skipped the HD DVD set because of WB's failure to produce The Animatrix in HD. Glad to see that oversight has been fixed for the BD version.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 10:07 AM

This is a great set. Nifty packaging too (nice and frickin' simple). I agree about the Osiris short, Cameron. It looks nice and all, but it doesn't have the razor-sharp 3D look that people might expect from CG animation like this.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted October 14 2008 - 04:19 PM

Great review. In fact, so good it's nudging me to buy the set when I had no intention to do so! As is my recent habit, I watched the DVDs just before the BDs came out to decide if I "need" the BDs. I decided I only "needed" the first two BDs, but now I'm thinking what's the point of the first two parts in hi-def without the completing third part...

#19 of 27 ONLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 14 2008 - 04:25 PM

I haven't seen "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" on BD but I'm curious whether it has the same quality. It's pretty much like getting up close to something in a video game and seeing that the texture is really just a skin with drawn on texture.

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,876 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 06:17 PM

Just watched all three and loved the A/V quality but I have a new pet peeve: Not being able to make my PS3 choose the highest bit rate track by default. These movies (most Warner BDs actually) kick right into the movie choosing DD by default. I have to manually choose TrueHD. Otherwise, great looking and sounding set!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)