What's new

Best Home Theatre Setup? Speakers, Receivers etc. (1 Viewer)

jashan17

Auditioning
Real Name
johan arnold
I already have a PS3 and am very soon getting an Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector. I also bought a BOSE Lifestyles 28 series III home theater system but heard that it is pretty bad for a home theater system and am planning to sell it since it was on sale and not under warranty... or is it good? it apparently has like no receiver or anything... do you guys have any suggestions for speakers and a receiver and how to set it up? I'm very new to home theater and need lots of advice on what is compatible with what receiver and which receiver has a lot of inputs.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That disappoints me. When you said best, I was going to recommend a set of 7 Eggleston Ivy speakers. That would run you around $350,000. A set of 7 Krell amps to power them would be another $150,000.

Now that I have the first constraint, what size speakers do you want? Floor standers? Bookshelf? Tiny ones like the Bose you don't like? Sub - How much room can you spare for a sub? What size space is all of this going in? Is it a sealed room or open? What type of movies/music do you listen to? How loud?

-Robert

jashan17

Auditioning
Real Name
johan arnold

is that a joke? haha.... anyway, yeah. I wouldnt mind getting big speakers, i have lots of room in the basement since it is completely dedicated to home theater. a pretty big sub too. basically the best setup i can get for 2500ish$ doesnt matter the size, i just need all the parts though, sub, speakers, receiver. I listen to mainly rock music/bassyish stuff.. actually i listen to everything and fairly loud too. it is sort of a sealed room, you basically walk downstairs and there is the room, the basement, with no door. I watch a lot of movies, nothing specific, i will be watching in blu ray though, and pretty loud as well.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I'd look at svsound.com edesignaudio.com or AV123.com for the speakers/sub, then probably an Onkyo (at least a 606) or Yamaha receiver (at least a rx-v663). All of those choices will be a real good bang for the buck.

jashan17

Auditioning
Real Name
johan arnold

Okay thanks a lot! do you have any specific recommendations for the speaker and sub for my price range? like specific model.

jashan17

Auditioning
Real Name
johan arnold

sorry about the double post but what about the company B&W? I heard a lot about them for speakers, but i dont know which models of speakers and subwoofers they have that i should get. :crazy:

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
B&W is great (they make some of the best available) but not bang for the buck. You'll get a lot more for $2500 from an internet-direct company like I posted before.

Like say these for the front Elemental Designs and center Elemental Designs and rears Elemental Designs

this subwoofer (this is the best one you're gonna get on your budget) http://av123.com/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

Then use the rest of the money on a good receiver, cables, etc, or add 2 more speakers for the back. Or you could do this system and get $100 off on the sub http://av123.com/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

Either would make you really happy.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those prices are not a joke. Eggleston loudspeakers

Aaron gave you some great advice. Anything that he is recommending will blow away brick and mortar competitors at twice the price. Customer service from those companies is also beyond great. I have seen people post to this and other forums about problems or questions and the owner of the company will respond. You will not get that with a larger company. Ron (SVS), Ben (eD) and Mark (AV123) are all passionate about audio like the rest of us.

And a few sub only companies you should also check out are epiksubwoofers.com and hsuresearch.com.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks