• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 of 129 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,215 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 20 2008 - 11:52 AM

MPAA Says No Proof Needed in P2P Copyright Infringement Lawsuits | Threat Level from Wired.com

Here's more proof of the industry's disregard for due process of law.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#122 of 129 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted June 20 2008 - 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
According to this article, there is an international effort to make it so governments can legally invade your iPods and destroy them if they find pirated music. How they are going to prove the files are copyrighted is another matter:

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always believed the greatest threat to our liberties came from the mass media and its thugs.

These people must be stopped. I do not condone piracy, but I believe such matters should be civil matters, not criminal ones. This is just plain evil and possibly unconstitutional.

How would they find if the files were pirated in the first place? You know, some people just use iPods to store their large CD collections.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#123 of 129 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted June 20 2008 - 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtEP
I wasn't commenting on the abuse of copyright. I was commenting on your assertion that advocating a violation of the law is craven and condemnable, while obeying is praiseworthy. A lot of bad things tend to happen when people slavishly adhere to attitudes like this.
I don't quite have the patience to read this entire thread, but I suspect that is the best thing said in it anyway. I don't think Kurt is condoning callous disregard of the law, but there are and have been many unjust laws. It is an undeniable fact that two of the greatest Americans of all time, MLK Jr. and Abraham Lincoln believed the same, and took action as a result. They both lost their lives and one spent many nights in jail, without complaint I might add, because breaking an unjust law is still breaking the law, but often a necessary step to positive change.

I have been a real admirer of the basic Constitution for some 20 years and I think almost all of what is really necessary falls into the basic body of the law, as well as the Bill of Rights.

I think two areas are most pertinent. First, the Fourth Amendment, which reads... "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." It is quite clear, to me anyway, that it is not proper or legal to search an iPod, for example, just to find out if there is infringing material on it.

Second is my favorite Amendment of all. If only a few more people were aware of and respected it. It is the Ninth, and reads... "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." This is clearly the most important law the U.S has. In essence, one person cannot exercize any right which causes infringement on the rights of another.

I'll just wrap up, as a person who produces copyrighted material for a living, that I soundly disagree with virtually everything one poster has said here. It is my job to protect my copyrights and material, not the government's. It also makes no difference if the copyright holder is a "corrupt" organization or a "non-corrupt" one.

BTW, sorry this post addresses some issues several pages back. My purpose was to disagree with someone early on who seemed to be condoning some rather extreme government actions in order to catch copyright violators.

Also, thanks to Yee Ming for the excellent post a few posts back.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#124 of 129 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,215 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 03 2008 - 09:37 AM

BBC NEWS | Technology | Google must divulge YouTube log

This frightens me to no end. Once again, proof that the media conglomerates have too much power.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#125 of 129 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 01:14 PM

It will probably only be used in a lawsuit against youtube, or maybe the users who posted the videos. I doubt they'll go after the people who watched them, what kind of case can they make against millions of viewers?
"Bobby is and idiot"

#126 of 129 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 11:21 PM

Quote:
Border security policies recently disclosed by the Department of Homeland Security state that officers may "detain" laptops and other electronic devices "for a reasonable period of time" to "review and analyze information." This may take place "absent individualized suspicion."
This article does not mention copyrighted materials in specific, but talks about border searches for anything. Laptops may be detained at border - Washington Post - MSNBC.com

#127 of 129 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 05:01 AM

^^^^

So much for the American constitution and Bill of Rights.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#128 of 129 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,501 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 10:32 AM

I have been at the shore for the last week and was completely unplugged (which was both easier and more enjoyable than I thought it would be). Reading this thread has provided me with almost as much amusement as my holiday at the beach! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I have been reading about ACTA for awhile now and I really don't see this being a concern for 99.99% of folks. The ability to check every MP3 player, computer, phone, and any other device that can store or play digital media is pretty impractical. Let's face it - the folks who handle airline security can barely handle that task - doing the MPAA and RIAA's heavy lifting is not going to be too high on their list..........

I just came across this which adds some very interesting food for thought....
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#129 of 129 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,593 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 19 2012 - 03:03 AM

bump, just a reminder how despicable these laws are: http://web.law.duke....y/2012/pre-1976 And how hard it is to get reform: http://www.petapixel...pyright-reform/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow