Copyright Cops?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MatthewA, May 31, 2008.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
  2. bobbyg2

bobbyg2 Supporting Actor

How would they find if the files were pirated in the first place? You know, some people just use iPods to store their large CD collections.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I don't quite have the patience to read this entire thread, but I suspect that is the best thing said in it anyway. I don't think Kurt is condoning callous disregard of the law, but there are and have been many unjust laws. It is an undeniable fact that two of the greatest Americans of all time, MLK Jr. and Abraham Lincoln believed the same, and took action as a result. They both lost their lives and one spent many nights in jail, without complaint I might add, because breaking an unjust law is still breaking the law, but often a necessary step to positive change.
    I have been a real admirer of the basic Constitution for some 20 years and I think almost all of what is really necessary falls into the basic body of the law, as well as the Bill of Rights.
    I think two areas are most pertinent. First, the Fourth Amendment, which reads... "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." It is quite clear, to me anyway, that it is not proper or legal to search an iPod, for example, just to find out if there is infringing material on it.
    Second is my favorite Amendment of all. If only a few more people were aware of and respected it. It is the Ninth, and reads... "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." This is clearly the most important law the U.S has. In essence, one person cannot exercize any right which causes infringement on the rights of another.
    I'll just wrap up, as a person who produces copyrighted material for a living, that I soundly disagree with virtually everything one poster has said here. It is my job to protect my copyrights and material, not the government's. It also makes no difference if the copyright holder is a "corrupt" organization or a "non-corrupt" one.
    BTW, sorry this post addresses some issues several pages back. My purpose was to disagree with someone early on who seemed to be condoning some rather extreme government actions in order to catch copyright violators.
    Also, thanks to Yee Ming for the excellent post a few posts back.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
  5. bobbyg2

bobbyg2 Supporting Actor

It will probably only be used in a lawsuit against youtube, or maybe the users who posted the videos. I doubt they'll go after the people who watched them, what kind of case can they make against millions of viewers?

6. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

^^^^
    So much for the American constitution and Bill of Rights.

8. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    I have been at the shore for the last week and was completely unplugged (which was both easier and more enjoyable than I thought it would be). Reading this thread has provided me with almost as much amusement as my holiday at the beach! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have been reading about ACTA for awhile now and I really don't see this being a concern for 99.99% of folks. The ability to check every MP3 player, computer, phone, and any other device that can store or play digital media is pretty impractical. Let's face it - the folks who handle airline security can barely handle that task - doing the MPAA and RIAA's heavy lifting is not going to be too high on their list..........
    I just came across this which adds some very interesting food for thought....

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    bump, just a reminder how despicable these laws are:
    http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2012/pre-1976
    And how hard it is to get reform:
    http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/19/gop-committee-causes-stir-by-posting-pulling-paper-on-copyright-reform/