What's new

As promised, the Top 12 Movies I Hate But Everyone Else Seems to Love (1 Viewer)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
DSmith1984 said:
First, if you don't take me seriously, fine. It's your right to take me seriously or not. But why even post in a thread started by someone you don't take seriously? I thought this website didn't have trolls and that is what it appears you're doing. Secondly, the word "dreadful" appears in this thread a total of 3 times. Two by me and once by you. The word "drivel" appears 2 times. Once by me and once by you. The words "absolutely dreadful" appear 2 times. Once by me and once by you. The words " utter drivel" only appear once you posted them. You may notice that this thread revolves around movies that I hate. The word hate is an extreme and I wouldn't put these films in this list if I didn't have very strong opinions about them.
Either offer an opinion on the topic at hand or find another thread to post in. I've no time or patience for trolling.
You may disagree with my listing and reasons and if so, I welcome a counter-argument. I'm pleased with the discussions on here so far even if I disagree with some of them. Otherwise, stay out of my threads unless you have something legitimate to contribute.
Chill, man!
Check that dude's reg date and post count...Colin knows what he is talking about.
Generally, when new on a board, it might be good to just hang out a while and feel the atmosphere before posting, and post in the vein normally used on the board, but that is just my opinon, and advice, of course, you are free to ignore that as well ;)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
And even trailer scene falls apart when you put even the slightest amount of thought into it. Even ignoring the absolutely idiotic character actions that got them into the situation in the first place are you trying to tell me that the windows in the trailer, that is designed to be used in a Safari/Game environment, mind you (I forgot if the tech guy actually knew for sure that the island was inhabited by Dinosaurs) are made of ordinary plate glass? Or that the three characters who are hanging on for their lives over the side of the cliff would make hacky, fast food jokes. Then the scene cruelly and quite graphically kills the tech guy, the one person who had nothing to do with causing the situation (and I tend to think that any director other than Spielberg would have had trouble with the MPAA in maintaining a PG-13 rating over that death scene.)
Completely agree with you about the trailer scene in JP The Lost World, but even with how bad it was, it was the one highlight in an otherwise awful film. Julianne Moore, whom I've never really cared for was "dreadful" (#3 for the word counters) in Lost World, totally out of place and not the right actress for the part.
Keep hearing rumors about JP4, but it could be years or it may never happen at all. But Jurassic Park is another Hollywood cash cow so I'm quite sure it will be made eventually. Read an article from Australia a few weeks ago that said it will be made within the next two years, but not holding my breath.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
DSmith1984 said:
The AFI's 2007 version of the top 100 films list considers the original Star Wars to be better than such films as High Noon, Godfather Part 2, 2001, Bridge On The River Kwai, Maltese Falcon, North By Northwest, 12 Angry Men
DSmith1984 said:
I am of the opinion that The Dark Knight is the finest American produced film ever made
So you are saying that The Dark Knight is better than High Noon, Godfather Part 2, 2001, Bridge On The River Kwai, Maltese Falcon, North By Northwest, 12 Angry Men? Films you identified with on the AFI list.
Not to mention Citizen Kane or Vertigo? The top two American films according to the Sight&Sound list.
Or Duck Soup, The Bride Of Frankenstein, Its A Wonderful Life, The Adventures Of Robin Hood, Notorious, Rocky, The Sting, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Great Escape, The Searchers, The Grapes Of Wrath, The Philadelphia Story, Ben Hur, Network, The Wild Bunch, Stagecoach, Sullivan's Travels?
To each his own, I guess.
David

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
To quote David Cronenberg (a modern master):
"I don't think they are making them an elevated art form. I think it's still Batman running around in a stupid cape... [A] superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, "Dark Knight Rises" is, you know, supreme cinema art, I don't think they know what the f**k they're talking about."
I love TDK. Great flick (though, I think Inception is superior). But, Cronenberg is mostly spot on.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
/t/322917/as-promised-the-top-12-movies-i-hate-but-everyone-else-seems-to-love/30#post_3963209
Chill, man!
Check that dude's reg date and post count...Colin knows what he is talking about.
Generally, when new on a board, it might be good to just hang out a while and feel the atmosphere before posting, and post in the vein normally used on the board, but that is just my opinon, and advice, of course, you are free to ignore that as well
Thanks, guys. I guess the OP takes everything to the extreme. Don't like his extremism? He'll be extreme in his response!

It is kinda fun to be called a troll by someone with all of 76 posts to his credit. He got me - I signed up here 12 years ago and posted 4800 times just to lull the HTF to sleep as I waited for the day when I'd reveal my true nature. I'm a troll - TO THE EXTREME!

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by WillG /t/322917/as-promised-the-top-12-movies-i-hate-but-everyone-else-seems-to-love/30#post_3963114
...Avatar was to me cranking up technology that we all have seen before to 11...

I gotta say, I was thinking this too. What really is AVATAR's revolutionary impact? It made breakthroughs in 3-D and motion capture, is that right? Now here we are, 2-3 years later, and people aren't exactly clamoring for more. Will they take it occasionally as part of a big event picture? Sure. Does it seem like we are near a point where audiences demand every movie be in 3-D? I don't think so. It's probably more likely that one day the 48 fps frame rate becomes standard and THE HOBBIT is looked at as the revolutionary picture (although that doesn't look particularly promising either, lol).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Thanks, guys.  I guess the OP takes everything to the extreme.  Don't like his extremism?  He'll be extreme in his response! :laugh:
It is kinda fun to be called a troll by someone with all of 76 posts to his credit.  He got me - I signed up here 12 years ago and posted 4800 times just to lull the HTF to sleep as I waited for the day when I'd reveal my true nature.  I'm a troll - TO THE EXTREME! :rock:
When I read the mostly negative posts about some of the biggest and most popular franchises in movie history, I got the feeling there was some trolling going on, but it wasn't from you. I know this thread is about movies he didn't like, but I find it interesting how many of the ones he didn't like are well regarded by most movie fans. "Back to The Future" an atrocity? Star Wars panned? Jurassic Park dreadful (although I sort of agree with him on that one).
"The Dark Knight Rises" is the finest American produced film ever made?
Huh?! :confused:. I haven't seen it yet. I suspect that it is a good film but better than "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Apocalypse Now" or dozens of others that could be named? I really doubt it.
I doubt that he is actually trolling. It just comes across that way when you read negative comments about almost every hugely popular movie in Hollywood's history., including "The Wizard of Oz" for Pete's sake. There was also other comments about whole genres of films that also could lead one to think the worst. **cough** 99% of musicals are....**cough**

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, of course, all this is a matter of taste and perhaps, in some ways, even chronological age. Must say, I agree with Doug on all of his choices except O BROTHER and MAD, MAD WORLD, both of which I adore. In fact, the former is to me the only watchable film the Coens ever made. When I saw it in theater, people actually stood and applauded. I thought the original STARS WARS was something of a piece of tripe (those awful blathering robots), but did love the following one. Did really like JURASSIC PARK, too. But, then, I think that DR. STRANGELOVE is a smarmy self indulgent unwatchable piece of garbage, but that SPARTACUS is a timeless and thoughtful romantic masterpiece that is actually 40 minutes too SHORT. Of course, I'm one of THOSE who love everything DeMille and treats THE TEN COMMANDMENTS as comfort food, And the only way I'd make it though THE DARK KNIGHT is at gunpoint with a set of those metal eye openers on me like Alex in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (which I liked).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Quentin said:
To quote David Cronenberg (a modern master):
"I don't think they are making them an elevated art form. I think it's still Batman running around in a stupid cape... [A] superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, "Dark Knight Rises" is, you know, supreme cinema art, I don't think they know what the f**k they're talking about."
I love TDK. Great flick (though, I think Inception is superior). But, Cronenberg is mostly spot on.
+1
Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Colin Jacobson said:
Thanks, guys.  I guess the OP takes everything to the extreme.  Don't like his extremism?  He'll be extreme in his response! :laugh:
It is kinda fun to be called a troll by someone with all of 76 posts to his credit.  He got me - I signed up here 12 years ago and posted 4800 times just to lull the HTF to sleep as I waited for the day when I'd reveal my true nature.  I'm a troll - TO THE EXTREME! :rock:
I would not worry about it colin. I dont think you are a troll either. I might not agree with your reviews all the time. you do run a great dvd/blu ray site.
Jacob

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's a matter of taste, but generally being negative about a lot of the most popular movie franchises in film history creates a perception, not necessarily a reality. In my own case, there is only one indicator that I truly "hate" a film. My indicator is that I turn the film off before it's over or leave the theatre.So far, I can only think of two films that meet that criteria: MILLION DOLLAR HOTEL with Mel Gibson and MEET THE SPARTANS. I might not think a film is very good (ex. ACT OF VALOR) but I know I didn't absolutely hate it if I make it to the end credits.
I cannot really put a finger on why I hated MDH so much, because normally I like Mel Gibson flicks: however, I just thought the film was awful and definitely not worth spending more any more time with than the 30 minutes that I watched. MTS was just awful. Brutally pathetic.
Jurassic Park I found watchable as long as I was able to fast forward through it and get to the good parts: dinosaurs rampaging. Fast forward prevented me from hating the film. It is just one I have never had any desire to revisit.
I disagree with his comments regarding O Brother Where Art Thou and the comments about the Coens in general. They have certainly made more than one good film. FARGO, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and THE BIG LEBOWSKI are all good films in my book. I also disagree with his comments about Clooney. Clooney is actually one of the better actors working today. Like all actors, sometimes he makes a good film and sometimes a bad one. They can't all be winners. THE AMERICAN is a film that a lot of people didn't like, but I thought it was a decent film, regardless of it's somewhat lethargic pacing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
"The Dark Knight Rises" is the finest American produced film ever made?
Huh?! :confused:. I haven't seen it yet. I suspect that it is a good film but better than "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Apocalypse Now" or dozens of others that could be named? I really doubt it.
It doesn't really alter your question but he did say The Dark Knight (the second one) and not Rises. :) I've seen all three and you can rest easy because none of them are better than Lawrence Of Arabia or Apocalypse Now or many other movies. As someone who didn't really like the first two Nolan Batmovies, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the third one though so I'd recommend checking it out when you get a chance.
Clooney is actually one of the better actors working today.
Yeah, outside of the Ocean's movies, I can't really think of any movie of his that I hated. Some are better than others but as an actor, the guy can always be counted on to deliver a solid performance and he's proven himself to be a talented director too.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
DSmith1984 said:
....mentioned in the same breath as films like Casablanca, LOTR trilogy, Godfather, Seven Samurai, is literally stomach churning......
Seeing the LOTR trilogy listed with Casablanca, The Godfather, and Seven Samurai is making my stomach churn.
Scott Calvert said:
...the hell?
Ya. Me too.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I'll throw my own list out there too:
Vertigo- though I love just about every other Hitchcock film
Scarface
The Boondock Saints
For the record I've never really taken offense if I like a movie (or even music) and someone else doesn't- I've always felt it's a matter of personal taste.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Ri said:
I'll throw my own list out there too:
Vertigo- though I love just about every other Hitchcock film
Scarface
The Boondock Saints
For the record I've never really taken offense if I like a movie (or even music) and someone else doesn't- I've always felt it's a matter of personal taste.
That's a list I can agree with.
300 - Never even saw it until a few months ago, but even with all the hype and publicity, boring beyond belief. Had seen clips so knew to expect the cheesy video game blood, but that film was a snooze fest.
Vertigo - Not terrible, but Hitchcock did many other much better films. North by Northwest, The Birds, etc. Have never understood the obsession so many people have with Vertigo.
Scarface - Not a big Al Pacino fan so that didn't help, but I thought it was one of his worst performances (he should consider taking lessons from Meryl Streep about how to do accents) and so ridiculously violent it was almost a campy comic book story.
Boondock Saints - no comment since I've never seen it, but will give it a try.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Stan said:
Vertigo - Not terrible, but Hitchcock did many other much better films. North by Northwest, The Birds, etc. Have never understood the obsession so many people have with Vertigo.
Scarface - Not a big Al Pacino fan so that didn't help, but I thought it was one of his worst performances (he should consider taking lessons from Meryl Streep about how to do accents) and so ridiculously violent it was almost a campy comic book story.
Completely agree. I always felt that Hitchcock's best films were (in addition to the ones you mentioned) were Rear Window, Pyscho, Strangers on a Train- even Dial M for Murder I consider better than Vertigo.
In terms of Scarface, it's the over the top violence that turns me off. I completely agree that the character is almost a caricature by the time the movie is over. I have no disrespect for Pacino though, he's one of my all time favorites.

Dan M

Second Unit
DSmith1984 said:
they're really unpleasant to look at. I'm sure that speaks to the job that the makeup people do in these films, but they're just absolutely unpleasant to look at.
ummm...isn't that kinda the idea?
Bryan Ri said:
Absolutely. Which is why I can watch a movie like Plan 9 From Outer Space and be thoroughly entertained while not giving a damn what someone else thinks.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Dan M said:
Absolutely. Which is why I can watch a movie like Plan 9 From Outer Space and be thoroughly entertained while not giving a damn what someone else thinks.
I feel as though sometimes we get caught up in plot holes, etc when sometimes we should just ask ourselves "Was the last 90/120 minutes entertaining and fun?"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bryan Ri said:
I feel as though sometimes we get caught up in plot holes, etc when sometimes we should just ask ourselves "Was the last 90/120 minutes entertaining and fun?"
Definitely. Which is why I've been able to enjoy films like Battleship and Total Recall this summer while others are ripping them apart.

Users who are viewing this thread