Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Mist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted March 13 2008 - 12:13 PM

Just wondering if anyone can tell me why there isn't a release of this, alongside the standard def version, in a few weeks time. Thanks.

#2 of 49 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted March 13 2008 - 09:09 PM

"The Weinstein Company" doesn´t release Blu-ray-titles at this point. But let´s hope that they´ll soon.

Read this thread:
http://www.hometheat....company-2.html

Dutch-company "Dutch Filmworks" has "Mist" on their release-schedule (I believe), but you never know. It has released (on both Blu-ray/HD DVD) some good titles in Holland.

So if you really want "Mist" now, you´ve to get the SD DVD-version..

#3 of 49 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 07:10 AM

The two disc SE on standard def will also have Darabont's preferred black and white cut of the movie, along with what are supposed to be some really good features. This is gonna be a hard one for me, as I would prefer to rent and wait for the BD, but all stores around me and both online rental services have a bad habit of only renting out the single disc versions of movies.

#4 of 49 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Graham
The two disc SE on standard def will also have Darabont's preferred black and white cut of the movie, along with what are supposed to be some really good features.

I'll be honest, I haven't heard of anything about Darabonts preferred black and white cut... could you elaborate anymore on that? Thanks.

#5 of 49 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 09:39 AM

No spoilers, please. I haven´t seen the film. Thanks.

#6 of 49 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 19 2008 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Graham
The two disc SE on standard def will also have Darabont's preferred black and white cut of the movie, along with what are supposed to be some really good features. This is gonna be a hard one for me, as I would prefer to rent and wait for the BD, but all stores around me and both online rental services have a bad habit of only renting out the single disc versions of movies.

anything on the b&w version from anyone?
facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 49 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 19 2008 - 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
anything on the b&w version from anyone?

DVD Beaver: The Mist

Beware: there are some screen captures you may want to avoid if you haven't seen the film.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 49 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 02:24 AM

Damn it! I am officially intrigued enough with this film to go 'slumming' with the SD DVD release. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#9 of 49 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 19 2008 - 02:41 AM

i have really enjoyed the previous 2 King films he has done and also liked
The Majestic.

i already have this at home and i'm toying with the idea of turning color down to watch it.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 49 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 03:20 AM

Well I have viewed the colour version and it's a fantastic film. I also have the B & W version too, which I am toying with to watch. On the introduction, FD says this the B & W is the definite version, a directors cut as it where, and he goes on to explain why he feels this. The DVD is fantastic - I'll admit it's a tough call wether to get this or wait maybe a year for the blu-ray... great extras 5/5!

#11 of 49 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 19 2008 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
i already have this at home and i'm toying with the idea of turning color down to watch it.
I was thinking of doing the same thing (I assume I won't find the B&W version for rent). Isn't turning the color 'off' that basically what the DVD does anyway?

#12 of 49 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,357 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 08:54 AM

A struggle for me too. Loved the movie.

Ah who I am kidding - I'll end up getting the SD and BluRay versions!Posted Image
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#13 of 49 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 19 2008 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma
A struggle for me too. Loved the movie.

Ah who I am kidding - I'll end up getting the SD and BluRay versions!Posted Image

Gee, Lou...I believed you. Okay. Well, no, I didn't really.

I knew you'd get them both, too! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#14 of 49 OFFLINE   willh51

willh51

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 03:41 PM

This movie is fantastic, I just got the 2 disc and can't wait to watch it at home. It's just one of those that some people just couldn't handle in the theater.

The special features are extensive and FD introduces the black and white version (this was on aintitcool a month or two ago, too), apparently he wanted to release it like this but the studio nixed that. It's just the same movie in B&W, which IMO will be great, since it has an old horror movie feel in some scenes anyway.

#15 of 49 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,357 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 12:10 AM

Here is a great interview with Darabont by CHUD that goes into the B&W version being included and how the look was achieved.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#16 of 49 OFFLINE   DeanR

DeanR

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 02:44 PM

I wish they didn't show the aliens or whatever they are on the commercial advertising the DVD. They certainly didn't show them before they released the movie in the theater. They also showing the undead in the DVD ads for I Am Legend. Why?

#17 of 49 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 21 2008 - 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanR
I wish they didn't show the aliens or whatever they are on the commercial advertising the DVD. They certainly didn't show them before they released the movie in the theater. They also showing the undead in the DVD ads for I Am Legend. Why?

I agree on both of those counts, Dean. The BD of I Am Legend is on its way to me (as a blind buy). I feel like something's been taken away now that I've seen that DVD ad. The pre-theatrical release trailers of The Mist were extremely effective because you DIDN'T know "what was out there." Big advertising bungle, in my opinion.

#18 of 49 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 03:30 AM

After going happily Blu, with the desire to never look back, I find myself in the lamentable position of buying not just one SD disc this week (THE MIST) but two (LOST HIGHWAY). Last week, I had to settle for the SD of SOUTHLAND TALES. I'd pay through the nose for the days of exclusive SD releases to pass.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#19 of 49 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 22 2008 - 05:14 AM

Considering the (lack of) box office return for The Mist, I'm not surprised that they changed their advertising strategy for the DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#20 of 49 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 02:12 AM

Just watched this last night, it was fantastic and easily one of the best Horror films of the past 20 years. What a refreshing change of pace for a tired genre.

I'd love to pick this up if it were on BD but as for the DVD I'm still keeping to my "new films on High Def only" policy for now. I'll wait it out and if this doesn't get a BD release by this October I might just pick it up on SD, if I can get it cheap.
Death before Streaming!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow