What's new

The Mist (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I did breakdown and buy this on SD DVD because Lord only knows the The Weinstein Co. will begin releasing on Blu-ray Disc, and I can just see the B&W version getting the shaft if/when it is.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I bouqht this as a blind buy this week. I really liked it. I watched the BW version. The director said he was going for a cheap 60s movie feel. In the same vain as Night of the Living Dead. Well, to me it felt more like a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. On the ending... I was waiting for a TZ like ending. You know, the whole town is on another planet. I just had this feeling once he grabbed the gun off the hood of the car, that i knew what was going to happen, and i was right. I didnt HATE the ending. But, could never, ever, kill one of my kids. I would take a chance, thinking, we made it this far. Dad ultimately took the chicken shit way out, and he paid the price. He had ben so strong, and made the right choices, until this point. Now he would WISH that he was dead!
This movie, and The Decent, are two of my favorites in years. I will be watching it again soon!

Like you Paul, this is a rare movie in SD DVD buy. Usually i would just rent, wait for a Blu-ray. Like you, who knows when we will see it on Blu, and its been a light year for DVD, and Blu, for me anyway. So i figure, what the heck. Glad i got it.

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the movie was ok but the ending was terrible. It made me groan it was so bad.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Why? What exactly made you groan.

It was a brave choice and is an excellent in your face to the crap Hollywood ending that the recent I Am Legend is saddled with.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I loved it up until the end. As much as horror movies are supposed to be grim,
the way everyone just gives up when they run out of gas, to the point of suicide, was hard for me to believe after they've been so determined, and then, right away, gotcha! it's over!

It struck me as being a different cliché than the one that usually gets maligned, but still lame compared to how good what had come before was.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I've said it before, but watching this again reaffirms the fact that I think The Mist is the best horror movie in 20 years.

It's flawless in my eyes.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I don't know how some would consider the ending "lame". But whatever
to each their own, such is the uselessness of discussing conflicting views with movies on internet messageboards. You just can't make people see the light now matter how wrong they are. :P ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
- I think it was just too quick and complete a change from what we've seen from this group before, and the gotcha ending just highlighted that.

Great up until then - really fantastic, I was ready to come out of the theater raving that this was one of the best movies in years - but that ending just sat wrong in every possible way it could sit wrong.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
your beliefs don't make the ending lame, it makes the ending disagreeable to you because of your beliefs.

i thought it was a very good ending, it was horrible, but this was a horror film.
the ending should be horrific.

they must have been driving for hours and who knows how far they drove and all of the terrible things they saw they we weren't privy to seeing.

this movie was classic twilight zone and if this was a TZ ep the end would be thought of as one of the best of the series.

i watched the last 30 minutes or so with the color turned off and i think that added to the mood that i had for the last part of the film.

for me this would have been a perfect horror film if there was a bit less of the woman calling this the end of days and god was watching her and anyone
who became a follower.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This may be true, but having characters' decisions based upon events that are unseen and unmentioned is bad storytelling.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not bad storytelling, different, i think it makes the story better , the imagination.

plus i thought it was pretty clear that they were driving for hours and had seen things in addition to what was shown.

either way you have your opinion.
for me i don;t usually allow what i believe in,
with life and god and anything else influence my thoughts on what people in movies should do.

movies like Gone Baby Gone and Reservation Road, have characters doing things that i may not have chosen.
i still thought Gone was a great movie, Reservation Road, not so much.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After my son and I saw the film in the theater, we spent an awful lot of time talking about the ending.

This, for me, is put in the category of "while you may not agree with it, it sure is a powerful ending to have gotten so many people worked up and talking about it." It plays with your emotions, your personal beliefs, your understanding of the character's motives. And certainly makes you "think about things" after you've watched it.

Some may pooh-pooh that philosophy...but it's hard to disagree that it was powerful in the way it touched people both positively and negatively.

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

I completely disagree, I found it laughable and not powerfully in the least but I am glad others liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks