What's new

The Mist (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But I never said I like it...just that it seemed to provoke strong reactions in people.

Personally, I thought it was a cheap device to give the film a certain weightiness that it didn't have (or, IMO, need).

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Watched the black and white version this afternoon, and I think it does add a good deal to the atmosphere. I understand what Darabont was trying to do with the ending, but when I watch the (really good) doc on the second disc and hear some of the principles comment on how it's probably how the story would end in real life, I tend to think none of them have children of their own. Still, ending aside it's one of the best horror films in recent years. Darabont really succeeds at making the human monsters in the market even more frightening than the actual monsters, without ever letting it seem implausible.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

See my quickie Review in the SD area, it's like a whole nother movie, much better atmosphere.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Why all the Hatred toward a medium we all embraced for years, did the appearance of HD suddenly mean all DVD's are trash, will all us DVD Lovers with our Special Edition Criterions be now Labeled Joe Six Pack.

I watched this on My PS3 which upconverts films nicely and it was a pretty good transfer and looked quite nice on my 1080p set. I don't get all this HD Elitism of late.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Why these people Saw what the Monsters can do, they had no indication that getting out on foot and trying to make a run for it would help, the Mist seemed to be world wide, I can see the 4 making that choice.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Another plus to the black and white version - the CGI is not nearly as noticeably low-budget in black and white. The creatures FX are all much more effective.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Except that that's not the attitude they'd had for the first (running time - ten minutes) of the film. That's why a lot of people, myself included, think the ending doesn't work; it requires a 180-degree shift in the characters' behavior that we don't think the movie had really sold us on.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Nevertheless, that may do nothing to change your opinion of the movie and its ending. Someone alluded to the fact that it may be pointless (hopeless ;)) to try and change one's opinion of a movie, and while I am not necessarily trying to do that, at least discussing the movie is more interesting to me than rehashing the same old topics as we are prone to do here time after time.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

It's not that they're trash, by any means, but I'm not one to ever enjoy settling for "good enough". Trust me, it was a bitter pill to swallow as an owner of over 1,550 DVDs but, for me, when I took one look at Blu-ray, all 1,550+ DVDs in my collection immediately lost their luster. They'll do in a pinch but now they've become the technological version of the chick who looks hot as hell with a couple six packs in you but the next morning...eh, not so much...

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Wait a minute...black and white?

Yes - there was a black and white version of the film created for home video (similar to how Mad Max: Fury Road just recently did a 'Black and Chrome' edition).

I'll add my recommendation for this film. It's very good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes - there was a black and white version of the film created for home video (similar to how Mad Max: Fury Road just recently did a 'Black and Chrome' edition).

I'll add my recommendation for this film. It's very good.
Are these black and white versions included on the blu ray or separate releases or...?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I like this film a lot too.

One of the best King adaptations and a top tier horror movie in general IMO. I still think to this day it's the last horror film I was totally blown away by.

A lot of people seemed to have a problem with the ending but I think many of them are missing the real twist of it which was...

that Mrs. Carmody was right all along. As soon as the child and the "whore" was sacrificed, the mist lifted

King went on record saying he preferred Darabont's ending to his own.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of the best King adaptations and a top tier horror movie in general IMO. I still think to this day it's the last horror film I was totally blown away by.

A lot of people seemed to have a problem with the ending but I think many of them are missing the real twist of it which was...

that Mrs. Carmody was right all along. As soon as the child and the "whore" was sacrificed, the mist lifted

King went on record saying he preferred Darabont's ending to his own.
I sure do have to disagree with your spoiler comment about Carmody.

I ascribe the tragic ending to the fact that sometimes, many times, life is not fair. I grew up on the monster flicks in the 50's when the scientists always figured it out in the end and everybody lived happily ever after, so the ending was hard to accept.

I've just watched the movie and liked it a lot, but Mrs. Carmody really got on my nerves, a lot. I find the tale it told to be very topical and relevant to today. Won't say more to stay within the rules.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have not read the King novella the movie is based on, so I'm wondering about all the monsters. Where they in the novella too? I found all the effects to be quite good, acting very good, no glaring points where you could see the artifice. This one makes it into my personal Hall of Fame of Horror.

A place where this movie could have fallen short was the kid. Fortunately he was very, very good.

I enjoyed the Thomas Jane character getting in a comment about bad, cheap disc covers right there at the beginning. Surely every HTFer must smile watching that scene.

I started to listen to the director's commentary last night. It sounds like he enjoys doing commentaries but there's way too much of this actor is fabulous. True he's got a very good cast, but I'm really tired of that kind of commentary. I made it as far as Carmody commenting on taking a squat with the commentary. Will the commentary get better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks