What's new

BR: Short Circuit May 20th (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
"Number 5...alive!!"

Thanks to Dave Lambert's TV Guide blog and a notice from Blu-ray.com !

About time! We finally get an anamorphic release of this great film. Between this and Wargames, I was so into Ally Sheedy!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ally Sheedy....what a little honey.

The scene at the end of the Breakfast Club right after she rips off Emilio's varsity patch, and takes a few steps back she give such a cute little smile.
She is gorgeous:)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yeah, it makes sense they'd release Short Circuit around the same time as Pixar's Wall-E, wherein the robot pays homage to Number 5 and the Mars Rover.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Yeah, I might just have to get this too.
I REALLY hope this is a decent transfer

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
If I recall correctly; this was one of the first titles to be released on VHS, and I think I paid like $50 bucks for it or something insane (along with my $500 Akai video player).

A fav for sure and a no brainer!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
$10.95 from Amazon by the time it shipped. Just finished watching it.

It's a fine and accurate transfer, but most of the so-called reviewers won't think much of it. Why? Because it's a fine and accurate transfer.

The film was shot in the mid eighties, using slow anamorphic lenses (check out those flares) and then-current FX technology. The result is a fairly soft image with a fair amount of visible grain (and, in some darker scenes, more than a fair amount). The Blu-ray faithfully recreates this look -- none of it has been DNRed away. To me that's great. But to most "reviewers" it's bad because it's not bright and sharp and clear and grain-free -- or, as I like to put it, because these "reviewers" are generally clueless about film. :frowning:

The supplements appear to be ported over from the previous Image DVD. The audio is DTS-HD MA, which is sort of a joke, given the limited fidelity of the soundtrack. Still, for those who insist on lossless, you got it!

A bargain, and a nostalgic treat.

M.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I get mine from Amazon.com tomorrow.

Hearing what Michael has to say makes me happy.
Now just give us Short Circuit 2 on Blu-ray.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The new War Games release is Standard only, right? I preordered it about a week ago.

Anyway, thanks for posting about Short Circuit. I've almost pulled one of those out of the bargain bin about 100 times. I'll grab this better release instead. This also reminds me I still need a lot of 80s flicks in my collection, like The Last Starfighter.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Not a bad disc, with some very dated extras. Nice commentary.

I couldn't help notice the stuttering video, as if it were rendered from an alternate source. Not complaining bittterly considering the price, but it is only a slight annoyance.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Can you be more specific? Is this something constant or occasional? I'm asking because I didn't notice it, which doesn't mean anything, because I miss things all the time.

M.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
It tends to exhibit stutter akin to a PAL to NTSC transfer, being static two or 3 times per second, or possibly from an interlaced source. This was as exhibited on my desktop, not yet tested on my CRT television (which has HDMI but is 1080i, not 1080p). I wish I could more accurately describe this. I'm not that technically savvy.

It is more obvious during scenes with a lot of movement or tracking shots, and resembles the jitter of some television commercials that just don't look "fluid".

Maybe something like this?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'll be interested to hear how it looks on your CRT, because I saw nothing like this on my setup, which is a Panasonic BD10 outputting 1080p over HDMI to a Samsung 72" DLP.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks