Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best 55" - 60" HDTV around $2000

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Steven Larson

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 08:17 AM

I am looking to get a larger TV to replace my Sony 34" CRT HD tv. I am thinking 55" - 60", and my budget is around $2000 or less. I would like 1080p, for playing my Xbox 360, and would like to get either an HD DVD or Blu-Ray DVD player sometime in the future. I was on the verge of buying the Sony A2020, SXRD set, based on reviews here, and on seeing it at the store. Plus the prices have dropped recently too. Then the A3000 came out, and the picture does seem somewhat better. I found it online for $1999 for the 60" with free shipping and no sales tax. However, then I read some posts here about the color degrading over time, and now I am back to being confused. What TV's should I be looking at in this price and size range? My viewing distance will be about 9 feet, though I can move my sofa closer as needed. I want a TV with very good picture quality. Thanks! Steve

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,106 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 16 2007 - 05:56 AM

Our viewing distance is 9 feet, and we're very happy with our new Toshiba 65HM167, which was just over $1500+tax from Circuit City (using the AAA coupon). Games and movies through the PS3 are spectacular. If you're considering DLP, definitely put it on your list.

Check my thread from last month in this folder if you're interested in following my research and purchase adventure. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   AndrewW

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 09:22 AM

Where ya find the 3000 for that price? PM if you will. Thanks.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Steven Larson

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Aaron, I will check out that TV. Andrew, I sent you a PM, but for anyone else, I found it at vanns.com, though they don't have the 60" in stock right now. With no sales tax and free shipping, it seems to be a good deal.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,106 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 18 2007 - 04:39 AM

Also, consider whether you'll need to buy a stand in your budget. You can get something basic for around $200, but for $400 we got a really nice piece of furniture that's a little higher -- most of those stands are under 20" tall, and ours is 24", which for the 65" set at 9 feet is PERFECT.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 06:49 AM

Ditto the situation on the Toshiba. I have the same set and it is fantastic for the money, especially with HD disks. Definitely the best size for the buck right now. I had no qualms about going with Toshiba because my last set was a Tosh and I loved it (still going strong BTW).

I also bought this stand (available only from Best Buy):

http://www.bestbuy.c....=1165609791326

It is piano black finish (like the TV), all metal with smoked glass shelves, built like a tank (it took two big guys just to carry the box in the house) and it matches the TV perfect in both finish and fit. I fit 2 17" components and a huge center speaker across the top shelf (the only one I found that fit this criteria). Everyone raves about it. It's also on sale for real cheap right now.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted October 21 2007 - 03:07 AM

Sears has the Sony 60A3000 for 5% off 2199, plus $250 off if you use/get a Sears credit card. So, around $1840+tax. The 5% maybe ended yesterday.
Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human beings if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelings about nuclear combat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users