What's new

Best 55" - 60" HDTV around $2000 (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to get a larger TV to replace my Sony 34" CRT HD tv. I am thinking 55" - 60", and my budget is around $2000 or less. I would like 1080p, for playing my Xbox 360, and would like to get either an HD DVD or Blu-Ray DVD player sometime in the future.

I was on the verge of buying the Sony A2020, SXRD set, based on reviews here, and on seeing it at the store. Plus the prices have dropped recently too. Then the A3000 came out, and the picture does seem somewhat better. I found it online for $1999 for the 60" with free shipping and no sales tax. However, then I read some posts here about the color degrading over time, and now I am back to being confused.

What TV's should I be looking at in this price and size range? My viewing distance will be about 9 feet, though I can move my sofa closer as needed. I want a TV with very good picture quality.

Thanks!

Steve

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Our viewing distance is 9 feet, and we're very happy with our new Toshiba 65HM167, which was just over $1500+tax from Circuit City (using the AAA coupon). Games and movies through the PS3 are spectacular. If you're considering DLP, definitely put it on your list.

Check my thread from last month in this folder if you're interested in following my research and purchase adventure. :)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Aaron, I will check out that TV. Andrew, I sent you a PM, but for anyone else, I found it at vanns.com though they don't have the 60" in stock right now. With no sales tax and free shipping, it seems to be a good deal.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Also, consider whether you'll need to buy a stand in your budget. You can get something basic for around $200, but for $400 we got a really nice piece of furniture that's a little higher -- most of those stands are under 20" tall, and ours is 24", which for the 65" set at 9 feet is PERFECT.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ditto the situation on the Toshiba. I have the same set and it is fantastic for the money, especially with HD disks. Definitely the best size for the buck right now. I had no qualms about going with Toshiba because my last set was a Tosh and I loved it (still going strong BTW).

I also bought this stand (available only from Best Buy):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165609791326

It is piano black finish (like the TV), all metal with smoked glass shelves, built like a tank (it took two big guys just to carry the box in the house) and it matches the TV perfect in both finish and fit. I fit 2 17" components and a huge center speaker across the top shelf (the only one I found that fit this criteria). Everyone raves about it. It's also on sale for real cheap right now.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Sears has the Sony 60A3000 for 5% off 2199, plus $250 off if you use/get a Sears credit card. So, around $1840+tax. The 5% maybe ended yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks