Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Reaper season 1 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
151 replies to this topic

#1 of 152 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 09:46 AM

The CW trots out their new show, Reaper, tonight at 9 p.m. EDT.

Sam (Brett Harrison, also Sam from The Loop) was born of parents who made a deal with the devil for his soul before he was conceived, and that means doing the devil's bidding, like tracking down souls that have escaped from hell and are on earth again. Ray Wise plays the devil, and Sock is his best friend (Sock is short for Wysocki). It's sort of like the male version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in spots. Kevin Smith directed the pilot episode that airs tonight.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 152 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 25 2007 - 10:19 AM

Why are they replaying this on Thursday after Smallville? Are they testing it as a replacement for Supernatural?

I believe Wysocki is Tyler Labine, who was amusing on Invasion. Still, I'm not going to try this one. The only supernatural show I wanted to see this fall was Babylon Fields, and it didn't get picked up.

#3 of 152 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 02:50 PM

I saw this a few weeks ago.

Very funny. and lots of fun.
Love the "Socks" character.

I'm curious to know how many different weapons Sam will be given to do battle with.

Sort of a Brimstone/13 ghosts of Scooby-Doo/Buffy

I hope his friends interact and help him out with the baddies...like in Buffy

DON'T MISS IT!!

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 152 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 25 2007 - 03:40 PM

I checked it out since I am a big fan of Kevin Smith. I thought the show had some funny stuff and it has a likable cast (Ray Wise was excellent as always). I assume Smith added some of his in-jokes like hockey and jokes about straight guys who are a little gay.

Overall, I'll watch this when I'm around on a Tuesday night.

#5 of 152 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:36 PM

I thought it was okay, but just not my thing. I'm not a fan of that kid either (the one from 'The Loop' who plays the main character).

#6 of 152 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:59 PM

Bre Harrison cracks me up, plus Missy Peregrym is an upgrade from the previously cast Andie.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 152 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,047 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 25 2007 - 05:53 PM

Definitely room for improvement. It's a show that doesn't feel like it's got the characters quite figured out yet, outside of Sock.

That said, it's a terrific premise and the characters are likable. It's not nearly as good as "Dead Like Me" but follows similiar territory in that the protagonists' lives don't really begin until their lives as they knew them were over. Christine Willes (the incredible Delores Herbig on "Dead Like Me") has a terrific cameo as the sassy horned DMV clerk.

I also like the Home Depot-esque setting. A lot of the tools they'll probably need would be found in a store like that.

Sock and the Devil are fun, well-crafted characters ably performed. The rest of the cast needs time to find the characters. Still, a very strong episodic format that could be sustainable for years. If the writing sharpens up, I could see this becoming one of my favorites.

#8 of 152 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,506 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 27 2007 - 01:17 AM

I enjoyed the premise and the show overall. I really hate Tyler Labine, though, and the Sock character may turn me off the show. I liked Bret Harrison and Ray Wise, though. And the first demon effects were pretty cool.

The ratings for the first ep weren't that great, even for the CW. They should pair this with "Supernatural".
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 152 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 27 2007 - 01:20 AM

I enjoyed this first episode. It was a little sit-comy in places, But fun.
I will watch for a while and see where it goes.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#10 of 152 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted September 27 2007 - 01:47 AM

I thought it was funny.. The sock character was freaking hilarious... The scene in the bathroom still cracks me up..

On a side note, are they killing off supernatural?
My DVD Collection

#11 of 152 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 27 2007 - 02:03 AM

I enjoyed it. Thought it was funny, liked the cast, Missy is hot....Season Pass.

#12 of 152 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 27 2007 - 02:15 AM

For the first time. I finally am going to watch a show on the CW. Posted Image

I just hope that since it is on CW, that they will give it longer than the big networks before yanking it.

I only wish my CW was in HD. This, and Survivor are the only shows I am watching that are not in HD. They look bad, now that I am spoiled.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#13 of 152 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 27 2007 - 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Y
On a side note, are they killing off supernatural?
Nah, that starts up again on October 4.

#14 of 152 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,855 posts

Posted September 27 2007 - 02:46 AM

The humor reminds me of another show killed before its time..."Special Unit 2".
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#15 of 152 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted September 27 2007 - 03:52 AM

I got around to watching this last night. A slight premise to be sure, and fairly mindless fun... but, I was entertained throughout! I'm in for the season! Posted Image
Gary

#16 of 152 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,047 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 27 2007 - 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
The ratings for the first ep weren't that great, even for the CW. They should pair this with "Supernatural".
The ratings, while not spectacular, were an improvement from "Veronica Mars" in the time slot last season (3.22 million versus average 2.5 million for "Mars"). More importantly, and the reason why the show has a good chance of sticking around even if that 3.22 million declines, is that it brought a massive influx of male viewers to a network that traditionally doesn't have many. The CW, and the WB before it, have long wanted a "male" show. Even "male" shows like "Smallville" and "Supernatural" tend to skew more female than they should.
The "Reaper" premiere drew the best ratings in the male demographics the CW has ever had -- 70 percent more men than "Veronica Mars".

#17 of 152 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 27 2007 - 04:53 AM

I loved the pilot, Sock reminds me of Jack Black when he's in between his most maniacal and most subdued lol.

The show has a mean streak too that sets it apart from the usual fare and it fits, but I didn't care for the dog meets car door joke, that was just wrong.

Did it occur to anyone else that this is the second new show this season to feature an exaggerated and parodied version of existing super stores? Chuck works at Buy More and Sam works at whatever the heck that store was called, can't recall it now lol.

Flame guy was very cool as well, i'm definitely on-board. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#18 of 152 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,922 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 27 2007 - 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I checked it out since I am a big fan of Kevin Smith. I thought the show had some funny stuff and it has a likable cast (Ray Wise was excellent as always). I assume Smith added some of his in-jokes like hockey and jokes about straight guys who are a little gay.
Smith mentioned in an interview that he'll be directing more episodes later this season.

Still hope his hoped-for Battlestar gig manages to pan out, too.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#19 of 152 Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted September 27 2007 - 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
Did it occur to anyone else that this is the second new show this season to feature an exaggerated and parodied version of existing super stores? Chuck works at Buy More and Sam works at whatever the heck that store was called, can't recall it now lol.

Sam works at "The Work Bench" (Home Depot), which is right next door to a "LargeMart" (Sam's Club/Costco.) I actually watched Chuck and Reaper back to back.
Rocky

#20 of 152 UngersPride

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 10:21 AM

A big surprise.

I didn't think I would like it, but it grabbed me with its very witty writing. Funny show and likeable characters. For once the critics were right.

A "Ghostbusters" type series.

I'll be sticking with this one. I hope they also develop the characters and make it less episodic as the series progresses.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow