What's new

Reaper season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I can tell you that, as a Canadian, the store set is a "Canadian Tire" (Home Depot like, but with less building more automotive).

Really enjoyed this show and can't wait for more...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That would make me tune out. That's why I lost interest in the second half of "Supernatural" last season. They moved from the episodic urban legend type of shows into more of a serialized soap opera.

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad

I understand how you feel. People have different tastes.

However, I like the serialized type of shows, and less the "monster of the week" type ones.

Serialized shows are also better when viewed on dvd, such as Heroes, Lost, Dallas, Sopranos, etc...

Cheers!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Other than the repeated "he can't make me do it" bit, I thought it was exceptionally solid. Probably the best second episode of a new series this year. The writing and direction held up remarkably well going into this episode. The bit with Sock mocking Sam behind his back while standing in front of a full body mirror was hilarious. I also loved his names for the beers: "Dr. Cuervo, Dr. Jack, and Dr. Captain Morgan ...he has two titles." The Prius being a chick car.

Ray Wise makes this series, though. He's so good to Sam, but he takes such delight in being awful to everybody else. The show makes him likable but also makes him clearly untrustworthy.
I was thrilled to see Christine Willes back as Gladys, the portal keeper to hell. If they had to poach any cast member from that other show about reaping, she's the one who fits in best here. I love her banter with Sock. The parents also add a quirky, off-tempo vibe. I'm still not sold on Missy Peregrym, but she was far more tolerable than last week. I hope Sock's ex that works at the D.A. sticks around too.

Looking back on my comments from last week, most of my complaints were addressed. From a scripting standpoint, this was a much more polished affair than the pilot.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I enjoyed this second episode and it didn't disappoint.

I was also glad to see that Gladys the portal keeper to hell returned. And hope she keeps on showing up.

So far my favorite quote by Socks

Next week's bug infestation episode looks great.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This show is fast becoming the single most solid hour of pure entertainment as far as the new shows go, edging out Chuck by a mile and coming in an extremely close second to Journeyman.

The ideas for souls can be unlimited if the creators keep their brains in gear and next week looks to make my skin crawl...I hate bugs!

For some strange reason the past couple of souls reminded me of that guy with the body armour and flame thrower at the very beginning of Lethal Weapon 4, just very wierd and sort of there to feed the funny banter between Sock and Sam.

But in a good way lol.

You nailed the description of Ray Wise, Adam, so deliciously evil yet with a strange affection for Sam, he really did Sam a solid there at the end by making sure he was put on gardening duty even though it didn't seem so at the time. But like you said he is Satin afterall and cannot be trusted.

Perfect casting all around here.

Sock rocks! :cool:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I do see one recurring theme. The other friend Ben (the hispanic guy) seems to get injured every episode. Last week he was burned. This week he was shot by a nail gun. He is becoming the "Kenny" of the series.

Oh, and them finding clothes and equipment to help catch the bad guy.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

Yeah, looks like next week with the bugs, they have all the bug equipment they need in their store.
Maybe Ben will get Bug sprayed:)
Wondering what the vessel might be. a roach motel?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This wasn't an entertaining episode, and it did drag. I'm hoping they right the ship because they need to punch it up in terms of either characterization, or backstory of the folks getting hunted down by Sam. Now, Ray Wise was born to play his part, though.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, wash rinse repeat, same as first episode. I hope Sam takes on his role next week and gets into it. The I don't want to be a bounty hunter was done in the pilot. They need to start giving the escapees(sp) more backstory or it just a krypto freak of the week smallville episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm okay with krypto-freak of the week bad guys if the stories going on with the main characters have more substance. "Dead Like Me" for instance never focused much attention on the reaped souls but it didn't matter because the storylines involving the reapers were interesting enough.
Now that Sam's on board for the whole reaping thing, it leaves room in the episode for the character relationships to develop. Even without that development though, I'm enjoying it solely on the level of light entertainment.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The devil with the repeated thumbs up at the end at the college killed me. Good eps so far, I'm in.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Each episode has been smoother than the last. This week had Sam whining, but not really resisting. That was very plausible to me; anyone who gets to live at home at his age is obviously spoiled and thus a whiner. It's reached a low enough level where it doesn't impede the flow or bother me. For the first time, Andi was a real character with real hopes and fears. I'm starting to like that relationship as something more than simply perfunctory. Sock and Ben at the bench remind me of Randall and Dante respectively from Clerks. The negotiation over Ben's order at the drive through is what made me thing of it. I also liked the misdirection about the Reap of the Week, that it wasn't the man after all — and that the Vessel wasn't actually damaged until they fixed it. I also loved the cancer dream scene between Sock and his ex. They've had great chemistry off the bat. I enjoyed Valarie Rae Miller in "Dark Angel" as well.Best laugh out loud moment of the episode.:emoji_thumbsup: The shit-eating grin with the thumbs up after the asbestos revelation had me absolutely dying from laughter. On a more intense note, I loved the "you call this coddling?" scene. Ray Wise brought the right darkness to his "You have no idea" response. All the Devil has done is help Sam, and Sam's bitching? It's the fucking devil. He doubtless carries out unconscionably horrible things.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Another fun episode.

Best scenes for me was Sam and Sock accessing the computer and giving Sam that info about Sock calling his "junk" Grumpy.
and the Drive-thru salad ordering scene.

and the broken toaster/bug zapper was like a Ghostbusters moment when they wheeled the toaster out and sparked the bugs.

So, the vessel wouldn't have worked properly(in order to trap the soul) until Sock smashed it and then Ben "tried" fixing it?
I know when the Devil sends the vessels, it's always vague but I was also somewhat tired.
I'll have to go back and watch that scene.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No. Sock smashed it because it was sparking like crazy. But it was supposed to spark like crazy to kill the bugs. Sock just put a few dents in it. Ben fixing it made it no longer a bug zapper. That's why same shoved the coat hanger into it; to break it and bring it back to functionality he recieved it as.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought this week's episode was much more balanced and entertaining as Sam looks for a way out of the contract, while also finding a way to capture the soul of the ornery magician, and dealing with his feelings for Andie and the lack of a vacation plan in the pact with the devil.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am curious how the parents can sell the soul of someone else? Even if its their firstborn. A few things also...

-Anyone have the feeling the devil is his "real" dad?

-I wonder if we ever will see the other team (ie-god, angels)?

-I think its time to tell Andi.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IIRC, they established in the pilot that the "sale" was made before they had any children. His soul was proimised in advance of his existence. The parents were going to welch on the deal by not having any children, so The Devil tricked them into conceiving by manipulating a doctor into telling them that they were not fertile. It appears that his parents really are his parents.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks