Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will This Work With A Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 12:38 PM

I'm looking to get a new DVD burner and Best Buy has this Pioneer for sale. It doesn't list it as being Mac compatible, but is that a problem?

http://www.bestbuy.c....=1172277307871

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 02:03 AM

Should work just fine, although personally I prefer Firewire for my external devices (higher sustained speeds, which is important for burning). Plus on the Mac FW is faster than USB2 anyway.

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 03:41 AM

The drive will work fine. I agree with Christian - Firewire is a better choice for speed, but are hard to find in that price range.
BTW - Pioneer DVR-112 internal drives are around 30-35 bucks if you need something for a Desktop Mac (G4/G5/MacPro,etc)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 03:51 AM

No, it's for a laptop. I've been using USB 2.0 for awhile with my drive and it's been fine. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works out.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted August 31 2007 - 07:43 AM

I have been using external Pioneer DVD drives for about 4 years with no problem. The system will recognize it automatically. BTW, for full functionality with apps like iTunes and iMovie you may need to install PatchBurn, which I have also used for years. Start without it, but if you ever find you can't do something with the drive, install it and it should be fixed. The fact is, I just install it by default.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.