Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Currently available Paramount and Dreamworks Blu-ray titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 03:22 PM

With the recent announcement that Paramount and Dreamworks will no longer be supporting Blu-ray (discussion here) and rumors that current releases will no longer be made available past their current stock levels, I was thinking some members may find it beneficial to review the list currently available releases. Therefore I have compiled a list of all currently available Paramount and Dreamworks releases to date. I'm sure I've made a few errors in this listing, so if you find any please let me know and I'll correct the original post. These titles should be listed in order of newest to oldest by release date.

I understand that some Blu-ray supports are calling for a boycott of these and other offerings from Paramount and Dreamworks. If that is your goal/intention then I respect your decision and wish you well. At the same time I hope that you will do the same by respecting the decisions of others to acquire these titles while they are still available.

Quote:
  • Aeon Flux (Paramount)
  • Babel (Paramount)
  • Black Rain (Paramount)
  • Black Snake Moan (Paramount)
  • Coming to America (Paramount)
  • Disturbia (Paramount)
  • Dreamgirls (DreamWorks)
  • Failure to Launch (Paramount)
  • Flags of Our Fathers (DreamWorks)
  • Four Brothers (Paramount)
  • Freedom Writers (Paramount)
  • Hustle & Flow (Paramount)
  • The Italian Job (2003) (Paramount)
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Paramount)
  • The Manchurian Candidate (2004) (Paramount)
  • Mission: Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection (Paramount)
  • Mission: Impossible (Paramount)
  • M:I-2 (Paramount)
  • Mission: Impossible III (Paramount)
  • Nacho Libre (Paramount)
  • Norbit (Paramount)
  • Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut (Paramount)
  • Reds (Paramount)
  • Sahara (Paramount)
  • Shooter (Paramount)
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Paramount)
  • Sleepy Hollow (Paramount)
  • Trading Places (Paramount)
  • U2: Rattle and Hum (Paramount)
  • The Untouchables (Paramount)
  • The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut (Paramount)
  • We Were Soldiers (Paramount)
  • World Trade Center (Paramount)

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,040 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 20 2007 - 05:04 PM

Chris,
This thread might be shutdown if format discussion occurs in it, but the following link lists all BR titles released by studio.

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=237841

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 06:49 PM

I have Blades Of Glory on BD preordered. I'm not gonna cancel it. I'm gonna just sit back and see if it does ship as a swansong. I have both formats, so, in the end I really don't care how I get the film.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S

I understand that some Blu-ray supports are calling for a boycott of these and other offerings from Paramount and Dreamworks. If that is your goal/intention then I respect your decision and wish you well. At the same time I hope that you will do the same by respecting the decisions of others to acquire these titles while they are still available.

Can some one explain that to me? What does that prove? I know it's based on a principle, but it only would cement Paramounts decision. How could they prove that their titles weren't picked up base on a boycott versus a bad market on Blu-Ray?
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 20 2007 - 07:09 PM

I went and bought five titles on BD to show Paramount the $$$ they will be losing.

Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 3
Sleepy Hollow
The Untouchables
U2: Rattle and Hum

I might pick up Dreamgirls and Nacho Libre sometime in the future, but they weren't a high priority. Fortunately those were the only Paramount titles I cared about. I'll sort of miss the Jack Ryan films this Fall, and a few here and their, but the other studios are already making me broke.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   norrisMc

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:06 AM

Are there any Paramount / Dreamworks titles that ARE "must buys" on Blu-Ray...

because the Blu-Ray version is significantly superior in extras and/or PQ / AQ ?

Thanks.
Norris

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Chris,
This thread might be shutdown if format discussion occurs in it, but the following link lists all BR titles released by studio.

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=237841

Understood and hopefully we can avoid any war talk. My hope was that this thread would inform and assist those still looking for these titles.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisMc
Are there any Paramount / Dreamworks titles that ARE "must buys" on Blu-Ray...

because the Blu-Ray version is significantly superior in extras and/or PQ / AQ ?

Thanks.

As was customary with Paramount releases they did indeed use different encodings for Blu-ray and HD DVD. For a good comparison of the AV quality of these titles I would recommend checking out the reviews on HighDefDigest.com. In the end I don't know of any that are considered unequivocally superior.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
This thread might be shutdown if format discussion occurs in it...

How about we start punishing the people breaking the forum rules instead of everyone by punishing the threads...

Anyway, Chris, I appreciate what you're trying to do here. I think anyone that wishes to buy these should feel free to do so without being chastised. However, I already have all the Paramount Blu-ray Discs I want. I'm certainly not going to be buying titles to prove point, as it is clear to me that none of the studios have the consumer's interest in mind any longer. Editied to add: Not that they ever did, but whatever dillusion I was under is apparently gone. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   John Kwong

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 03:23 AM

Thanks Chris for the "heads up". I was just thinking about this and if there are any discs I need to buy ASAP.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael B
I have Blades Of Glory on BD preordered. I'm not gonna cancel it. I'm gonna just sit back and see if it does ship as a swansong. I have both formats, so, in the end I really don't care how I get the film.

From what it sounds like however Blades Of Glory is cancelled on BD all together.
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Boycotting TDB Ever Since June 2nd 2007

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Little
From what it sounds like however Blades Of Glory is cancelled on BD all together.

I'm keeping my Amazon preorder. If it gets released in limited quantity to satisfy preorders and is rare, I want a copy. I'll proably end up with an HD-DVD of it in the end, I suspect.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 21 2007 - 07:11 AM

There's sure to be some leaked copies of the BD Blades of Glory. It'll be interesting to see what price they garner on eBay.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 07:34 AM

I already own 13 of those titles (on HD DVD).
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
I already own 13 of those titles (on HD DVD).

Um, yay for you?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
There's sure to be some leaked copies of the BD Blades of Glory. It'll be interesting to see what price they garner on eBay.

Does anyone remember the Ed Wood debacle--release was aborted twice with a handful of copies actually getting out and ending up on eBay? I suspect the same will happen with BG on BD.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I'm certainly not going to be buying titles to prove point...

Nor will I. But I'm starting to wonder, as the format war drags on will we see these titles appreciate in the secondary market the same way that other OOP titles have done?

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
Nor will I. But I'm starting to wonder, as the format war drags on will we see these titles appreciate in the secondary market the same way that other OOP titles have done?

Ah. So we're speculating? Posted Image Honestly, I think I'd rather just stick that money in my 401K and call it a day. Posted Image

The Jackal

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 03:49 PM

I wouldn't read into that question more than is actually there. If this war has taught me anything it's that speculation on what the future holds is futile.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 21 2007 - 06:24 PM

can you put the list into alphabetical order in the first post
facebook.com/whotony

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow