What's new

Component vs HDMI (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It really depends how both are implemented on your display (and video source for that matter). If you have a CRT, component may be a bit better. On a digital display, more likely HDMI.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
I have a DLP TV, and is it ok to use Component for HD sources, is there much loss in signal compared to HDMI?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Main thing you lose in almost all cases is the ability to upconvert SD DVD's.

HDMI also gives you advanced audio options that the RCA audio or digital audio may lack though if you have 5.1/7.1 analog outs it can offset that issue

In most other cases of which looks better HDMI or Component, I have found little way to predict other than trial and error. The Rule of Thum of HDMI looks better on Digital sets and Component is better on CRT is a very spotty from what I've seen.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Like Dave H said, it comes down to how HDMI is implemented in the player and display. Theoretically, HDMI will give you a better picture because you avoid the digital-to-analog and back again conversions with component. See if you can find reviews of the player and display where they comment on HDMI vs component video quality. For example, Secrets always tests this for DVD players.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I've got an older Mits 65809. Can I go HD (probably Blu-Ray PS3) with just component? I don't have HDMI inputs.

D

DAN NEIR

I've got the old Mits46807(which only supports 1080i, not p) and I do HD w/ components.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the information, so it seems almost a personal choice plus a trail and error approach.

micah323

Auditioning
Real Name
micah
I also can not run hdmi. Tv and receiver both do not have it. I am going to run a hmdi->dvi from my player to the tv. How does this rate vs. hmdi or component?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks