What's new

JVC DM85UXR vs. Epson 5030UBe (Pros and Cons) (1 Viewer)

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Hi Folks: I have read for over a week trying to decide what to do with this decision. I hope some of you more familiar with these systems can give me some advice. I will post a picture or two if I can figure out how.

My home came with a Optoma Projector system installed in about 2007. It is a very nice install and we have about 110" (diag) of open space before the speakers are mounted flush (we could easily get 140") if "needed" but would cover the speakers. The Optoma has been a PAIN and seems to always have some issue. Regardless, when our cable company upgraded us, the new box has HDMI only output, but, the projector only has component video! The install is very professional and the cables are really burley, and the ceiling is 12 feet tall, so getting to it is not real fun. The room also has an entire east facing wall of windows and is connected to an open dining room and kitchen, so, we can really only use it "well" after dark. It is projecting onto a textured wall with normal flat white paint. I just got a Yamaha TRS7790BL from CostCo and have 5 speaker Infinity Speakers.

It seems to me I have only a few choices here for upgrading the TV. I can get a new projector like the Epson and run the component + wireless HDMI + get a screen with high light refraction - or - I can get the 85" JVC from CostCo. The JVC is $5k and I figure the Epson + screen will sent me back $3k or so. With the current projector, we are around 96" diagonal, so we will loose 11" to go with the JVC. I think our couch is around 12-13 feet from the screen, but could go back a bit. The other consideration is that I mounted (just over 1-year ago) a 65" Samsung LED (top of the line from CostCo) in our dinning room (so essentially 90 degrees from the projection) so we could watch TV from the kitchen or dinning room with ambient light (in fact, it is "darker" on that wall than the one where the project image goes).

I am really torn on what to do. I do not think running an HDMI wire up to that projector is going to be easy, it seems the component video wires are likely "stapled" or otherwise immobile. I also read the wireless HDMI is not that reliable. The component video works like a charm, but I hear the converters from HDMI to component are not reliable, so I have no way I can figure to get the cable box HDMI output over to component.

I would REALLY appreciate some advice here, the kids are driving me CRAZY. I should have added that the dinning room system has no cable currently, just DVDs and wireless netflicks.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• Desert Splendor (34).JPG
    Desert Splendor (34).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Desert Splendor (33).JPG
    Desert Splendor (33).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Desert Splendor (38).JPG
    Desert Splendor (38).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Desert Splendor (41).JPG
    Desert Splendor (41).JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Desert Splendor (28).JPG
    Desert Splendor (28).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 120

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Of course the cheapest solution would be to move the 65" from the place in the photo above (picture was hanging then) to the place with the projection location. It also seems kind of excessive to have a 65" and 85" in nearly the same area. Please help me decide. Thanks again

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi! I'd be happy to throw in my two cents, with the caveat that I'm not an installation expert (though we do have a few of them here).

I've got the Epson 5030 (but not the wireless version). I love it. And it's got multiple viewing modes including a couple intended for daytime or brighter room viewing. I don't have a light controlled room either. I'm not home a lot during the day so it's usually not an issue, but whenever I am, it's never been a problem using the projector during the day. It obviously looks better when it's dark but it's not unworkable with some light.

I've heard the wireless attachment is pretty good if it's got a line of sight from the PJ to the emitter. If you decided to run a wire, yeah it might be a pain to do (can you hire someone to come in and do it?), but you only have to do it once, so I say it's worth the pain. And you can always add the screen later on - if you've been using your wall and it works, why not stick with that at least short term? If you're more DIY inclined, you can build your own screen or paint the wall with a special paint.

A large TV is certainly simpler all around, but once I got hooked on projection, I couldn't go back. I tried - I had a few years in between having my first and second projector, and I missed it every time I went to watch a movie on the TV. You mentioned you have a 65" TV that works - you could try using that short term to see if you miss having a projector or not before making a purchase decision.

There's really no wrong choice here, so whatever you choose, don't second guess yourself and enjoy whatever you end up with.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Thanks guys. I would love to get a few more opinions, but so far, 100% (n=2) are saying projector. Overall, I do agree too. Just fearful of how to get the CAT6 up to the projector. Who would I even call to ask about something like this? A general contractor?

Thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the prior owner/installer was smart, they ran the component in conduit.

If they did, attach cat to one end(tape, zip cord...whatever) and pull the other end.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
schan1269 said:
If the prior owner/installer was smart, they ran the component in conduit.

If they did, attach cat to one end(tape, zip cord...whatever) and pull the other end.
Thanks, but I have very serious doubts. I tugged on the lines and they felt stapled to the wood..... I can try pulling harder of course....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...

Did you remove the projector mount? Look under(well, above) it.

I don't know where you are, but code here in Indiana is...

Wall plates must be used. Meaning, if plates were used...remove those and the actual in wall component is its own cable. So...there are three...

Source(s) to wall.
In wall to the projector mount.
Along the projector mount.

So...how is yours done?

If your answer is "I don't know"...

Call in an installer.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
No, I need to get out my 10' ladder to check this out, but it is within my plans. I will pull it apart and get some pictures. Thanks!

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
schan1269 said:
Well...

Did you remove the projector mount? Look under(well, above) it.

I don't know where you are, but code here in Indiana is...

Wall plates must be used. Meaning, if plates were used...remove those and the actual in wall component is its own cable. So...there are three...

Source(s) to wall.
In wall to the projector mount.
Along the projector mount.

So...how is yours done?

If your answer is "I don't know"...

Call in an installer.

I pulled it apart this weekend. There is no conduit and the three wires seem to be run across (above) the wooden framing in the ceiling, but, there is only a foot or two between the ceiling and the roof in that room, so no "crawl" space opportunities. I cut one of the ends off a component video cable and attached a nylon parachute cord with some electrical tape, but it hung about 1/2 way through the pull. I think this would equate roughly to where the horizontal goes vertical (transition from ceiling to wall). The ceiling in that room is 12 feet tall and outside the house this is an area that "sticks up", so the place where the transition happens would be an outside wall at the top. My guess is that it that the cable is going through a wooden beam and my hope is that if only one wire was left it would be less tight and I could pull through a new wire.

But, i am vastly confused what wire to use. I think there is no hope for an HDMI cable with the ends in place, so you mentioned CAT6. Should I just get a small roll of this? Is one CAT6 cable enough? What ends do I use to get into my HDMI slots?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
schan1269 said:
Cat is for...

HDMI cat extenders.

Also...HDBaseT might make it to a few projectors.
Thanks - the challenge I believe exists then, is that I need TWO CAT6 wires fished through the walls versus one HDMI. I think it is very unlikely that the two CAT6 wires will go through here. One, maybe, but two I think is MOST unlikely. What do you recommend?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why would you need two cat?

And two cat are thinner than 1 HDMI anyway. By the way, cat is ran...once in the wall, then you terminate the ends(even if using cat plates). Meaning you buy a bulk spool of cat. A bag of connectors. Connector tool.

What "wires go where" in the connector is irrelevant...as long as both ends match.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Wow, thank you. I was looking at the "HDMI Cat extenders" through Google and they all appeared to have two CAT "sockets" going to one HDMI. Why is that? Since I probably can only get one CAT6 through, I assume I should go for CAT6a - do you have any specific recommendations on the type of wire I should get? Thanks so much, this is exactly the info I need.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Gregg Loewen said:
Some CAT extenders require dual runs.
So, this is my greatest worry. If I need a dual run, why not just take an HDMI - cut off one end, fish it through, reattach the end. I think I am missing the boat on this somehow. Why run twin CAT6 (or even one CAT6) if HDMI will work?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cause nobody makes a "home do it yourself" HDMI cable.

Cat(without the RJ45) is thinner than HDMI. Which even two runs of cat is still thinner than HDMI.

But...there is absolutely no reason, at all, in your case to use a twin cat balun.

And, lastly, it has been PROVEN time, and time again...and again, that cat is more reliable than HDMI over 30ft. Been proven for 9+ years.

Fact. Cat carries 4k, HDR, 60fps up to 500ft.

The best Redmere capable of same is 100ft.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
From 2 years ago...(which was even "late")...

Most single cat extenders use HDBaseT tech. Sure, you can still find some that don't. HDBaseT is what we should have had from the beginning. HDMI should never have existed.

Single cat is preferred even when using prior to HDBaseT tech. Why?

Less chance of cable faults. However...

I recommend running two cat and using a single cat extender. Why?

In case the one cable develops an issue, the other one is already there. I can not imagine how a component cable is there now...that there isn't room for like 5 runs of cat.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Wanted to take a moment to thank everyone, especially schan1269. I pulled out each of the three component video cables separately. On the the first one, my stringer came off somewhere inside the wall. On the second, the outer "skin" of the component video wire tore and I also lost the stringer. On the final one, I stripped the component video shielding off to expose the "core" and I carefully "threaded" it with the CAT6 - success!!!

Hooking up the HDBaseT the only issue was my own install of the RJ45. What seemed logical to me for wire order was not correct. The correct configuration was found on-line and once I switched the order of the wires, it worked great. I should have stated that I started with a pre-ordered CAT6a with ends in place, so I just cut off ONE end and left the other in place.

Once the wire order was sorted out, it worked right out the shoot. I am very happy. The Yamaha receiver sounds great and the Epson 5030 looks amazing. I went with a Silverticket screen, also happy with that as putting it together was pretty easy. I am sure there are far better components out there, but i am very happy.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks