What's new

Impending Swan Song For 3D Projection (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I finally found an Epson LS12000 in the wild yesterday and drove 50 miles to see it. I felt the overall image was outstanding and concluded I could probably "live with it." When I returned home I dug deep into some online reviews and they collectively confirmed what I already knew. While the LS12000 is a tremendous achievement at its price point, it definitely makes some serious compromises to get there. The obvious one for me is the lack of 3D support but there are others such as it's handling of HDR and it's underwhelming black levels. After going back and forth for awhile, I realized I simply wasn't willing to compromise at this point in my life. I've ordered the JVC NZ7, the projector I wanted from the start.

Stay tuned for my upcoming short story:

How To Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - While Remaining Married

*** OR ***

My Wife Said I Couldn't Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - I'm Going To Miss My Wife

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was going to say, you’ve lost some weight this week. :D:D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I finally found an Epson LS12000 in the wild yesterday and drove 50 miles to see it. I felt the overall image was outstanding and concluded I could probably "live with it." When I returned home I dug deep into some online reviews and they collectively confirmed what I already knew. While the LS12000 is a tremendous achievement at its price point, it definitely makes some serious compromises to get there. The obvious one for me is the lack of 3D support but there are others such as it's handling of HDR and it's underwhelming black levels. After going back and forth for awhile, I realized I simply wasn't willing to compromise at this point in my life. I've ordered the JVC NZ7, the projector I wanted from the start.

Stay tuned for my upcoming short story:

How To Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - While Remaining Married

*** OR ***

My Wife Said I Couldn't Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - I'm Going To Miss My Wife
Jelly, as the kidz used to say :)

NZ7 will be great. I'm ready to upgrade after four months with the NX7. ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
NZ7 will be great. I'm ready to upgrade after four months with the NX7.
I've heard about the sync times and fan noise associated with the NX7 but in terms of native contrast, it actually beats the NZ7 and matches the more expensive NZ8. You have the mid-tier model in the NX line whereas I'll have the entry level model in the NZ line.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard about the sync times and fan noise associated with the NX7 but in terms of native contrast, it actually beats the NZ7 and matches the more expensive NZ8. You have the mid-tier model in the NX line whereas I'll have the entry level model in the NZ line.
Didn't you have a new arrival today?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve got the user-adjustable pupil. You’ve got laser dimming. I think my native black floor is generally better for a fixed, dark scene. But the HDR experience with the NZ7 is will be better as a rule.

Plus sync time and lower fan and a bit more light are quality of life improvements.

I’m not racing out to buy a new NZ7. But if I could swap my NX7 for an NZ7 for a modest price, I’d do it without hesitation. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No one could get an explanation from Fedex as to why the AVM70 has been stuck in NC for the past 3 days so Audio Advice was nice enough to overnight me another one. Within a couple of hours of them doing so, Fedex finally responded with updated tracking for the original unit. Now I have two units expected to arrive tomorrow! Dealing with carriers is one part of our hobby I really detest.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the Canadian pricing for.an Anthem AVM70. 4 grand before taxes. While.looking at that I noticed a Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1. It's an impressive looking piece of kit. 15000 Canadian before taxes. :laugh:

If I had the money to burn on this hobby and a proper room to put it in, I would look at that line.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I was looking at the Canadian pricing for.an Anthem AVM70. 4 grand before taxes. While.looking at that I noticed a Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1. It's an impressive looking piece of kit. 15000 Canadian before taxes. :laugh:

If I had the money to burn on this hobby and a proper room to put it in, I would look at that line.
Really? Why is a Canadian company charging Canadians more than they do in other markets?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a conundrum that seems to be uniquely Canadian. Canadian companies seem to think it is okay to gouge Canadian consumers. Canadians are apathetic when it comes to complaining about price gouging, except when it comes to telecoms. Their are plenty if Canadians that complain about the cost of cell phone data plans, but the telecoms in Canada have a vice.grip on the market and compliant regulators so complaints go nowhere. Data plan costs in Canada are some of the highest in the world. For unlimited data and in Canada calling I am paying close to 100 a month and that was on a promotional 3 year plan.

Exchange rate differentials also have a.lot.to do with it, since so much stuff is imported here. For example, the PSVR2 helmet in the US is around 600 US for the Call of the Mountain bundle. Here it is 820, almost all.of.it due to exchange. With 7% PST and 5% GST it ends up being just shy of.1000.dollars Canadian.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Exchange rate differentials also have a.lot.to do with it, since so much stuff is imported here.
That was what actually prompted my question. The AVM 70 obviously doesn't need to be imported so I'd expect lower prices.
What did you pay from it in the US?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right now it is actually "on sale" in Canada for 4139 until the end of March. The regular price is -4800. C$4139 IS around US3040 when converted at XE.com.

What amplifiers are you using since it is only a prepro? Anthem had a 5 channel Amp for around C$4400 IIRC.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Right now it is actually "on sale" in Canada for 4139 until the end of March. The regular price is -4800. C$4139 IS around US3040 when converted at XE.com.

What amplifiers are you using since it is only a prepro? Anthem had a 5 channel Amp for around C$4400 IIRC.
D-Sonic and Outlaw, mostly. I also have an Emotiva mono Class D amp for the center and an old Harmon Kardon powering one of my height channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks