Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Sopranos Season 6, Part II - April 2007

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1012 replies to this topic

#1 of 1013 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 04:25 AM

Saw an ad on HBO for the premiere of the Sopranos' last episodes, and could swear it said April 8 -- which is Easter. I also could swear it said 9 final episodes -- but all this time we've heard 8 is the number.

This is the latest bit of new I could find:
http://www.zap2it.co....news-headlines

Anyone know when the final season is really starting?

An April 8 start and 8 episodes puts the series finale at May 27 (which is Memorial Day weekend, so unlikely -- would be June 3). A 9 episode series puts the end June 3 or June 10 -- very late by TV standards.

#2 of 1013 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 05:13 AM

can't wait!
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#3 of 1013 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,345 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 10 2007 - 09:37 AM

Maybe HBO is calling it nine episodes because the last episode is double length and they're trying to say that that counts as two episodes? That's nothing but a guess though.

Assuming that Rome runs every week, it'll be over on March 18. So The Sopranos will start on either March 25 (unlikely), April 1 or April 8. My money is on April 8 since Easter is a night when people tend to be home and in front of the TV.

#4 of 1013 TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 10:09 AM

They recently added an episode during filming because they had some extra ideas while filming.

#5 of 1013 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,209 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 11:17 AM

It will be interesting to see how this does ratings wise. Part 1 of S6 was, in my opinion, a huge disappointment. I really hope they get back on track because it would be a shame to see this go off with a whimper as opposed to a bang (literally, as in Tony's eventual demise).

Any word on whether HBO is filming multiple endings to thwart any attempts to leak the last episode?
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#6 of 1013 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 02:29 PM

Wow. Considering I thought Part 1 of S6 was the best since S2, I will definitely be there. Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#7 of 1013 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
It will be interesting to see how this does ratings wise. Part 1 of S6 was, in my opinion, a huge disappointment. I really hope they get back on track because it would be a shame to see this go off with a whimper as opposed to a bang (literally, as in Tony's eventual demise).

I wouldn't count on that. David Chase is no fan of conventional storytelling, and I do not expect him to wrap the show up neatly at all. He has constantly turned convention on its head, so I don't expect any "crime doesn't pay" moralizing at the show's end, nor do I expect killing of top cast members.

Chase once commented that most shows on TV were meant to make you feel good about your authority figures, which is why there were so many cop shows, lawyer and doctor shows, military shows, etc. He said he has no interest in that. Keep that in mind when thinking about his show and how it might end.

#8 of 1013 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,209 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
I wouldn't count on that. David Chase is no fan of conventional storytelling, and I do not expect him to wrap the show up neatly at all. He has constantly turned convention on its head, so I don't expect any "crime doesn't pay" moralizing at the show's end, nor do I expect killing of top cast members.

Chase once commented that most shows on TV were meant to make you feel good about your authority figures, which is why there were so many cop shows, lawyer and doctor shows, military shows, etc. He said he has no interest in that. Keep that in mind when thinking about his show and how it might end.

I see what you're saying and agree with you. I don't care how Chase wraps up the series as long as he does so in an entertaining and riveting way. One of my beefs with S6 P1 was that it excessively focused on Vito which drug the storyline down and caused me to almost lose interest in the show as a whole. The other seasons I thought were excellent, even the oft maligned S3/S4.

Will Tony get jailed or killed? I don't know, but I always thought one ending would be to see a passing of the torch from Tony to AJ (a wimp turned tough). Like father like son and it would keep the theme of "Family".

There have been conflicting reports of whether the series will be followed by a theatrical production. I would prefer not. Besides the fact some of the the main cast is turning geriatric I think the series should be allowed to stand on its own and not become some Brady Bunch style parody of itself.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#9 of 1013 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 02:10 AM

One way it could end is last episode is sort of a coda, it's years later and Tony is the old guy who AJ just let's think he's in charge, like how Tony & Junior were.

#10 of 1013 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,345 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
One of my beefs with S6 P1 was that it excessively focused on Vito which drug the storyline down and caused me to almost lose interest in the show as a whole.
I know plenty of people had the same criticism but I never understood it. There was only ONE episode that focused on Vito and Jimbo (Johnny Cakes) being together that I could see someone construing as a time waster and it's not like the entire episode only featured them. All the other 'Vito being outed' episodes either had Vito fleeing New Jersey, heading back to New Jersey or being killed.

#11 of 1013 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,345 posts

Posted January 13 2007 - 02:41 PM

HBO says that The Sopranos returns on April 8 and there is nine episodes. David Chase is writing and directing the finale.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31237

#12 of 1013 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 01:23 AM

Wow, too bad they didn't just add a few more and call it a full season.

#13 of 1013 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 02:50 AM

I'd prefer not. This way there is a shot Pt1 and Pt2 end up in the same Sopranos box set Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#14 of 1013 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I'd prefer not. This way there is a shot Pt1 and Pt2 end up in the same Sopranos box set Posted Image

With HBO's pricing, you're probably looking at about $350 for the 21 episodes that will comprise parts 1 and 2. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#15 of 1013 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,345 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 05:25 AM

Yeah, you can bet that the nine episodes will be $100 MSRP when they release the DVD. You can also bet that there will be people who act surprised when that happens. Posted Image

#16 of 1013 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 02:38 PM

Its definitely 9 episodes. I read that about a month or so ago.

#17 of 1013 RyanTSI

RyanTSI

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 02:52 PM

The one thing I could see happening is tony being put into a position that makes him choose between his family and the mob. Like aj somehow gets himself involved and is gonna get wacked if tony doesn't roll. Something along those lines anyways

#18 of 1013 Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 03:38 AM

Teaser trailer which aired during Rome Season II: http://www.lbracco.c....6b01140701.WMV
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#19 of 1013 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 10:36 AM

A little ominous that the teaser ends w/Carmella saying "everything comes to an end".

Could just mean that the show is ending. Or could also mean the end of Tony's being the boss of the NJ Mafia. But if so, still several ways he could go out.
1. Death my natural causes or a true accident.
2. Being whacked.
3. Going to jail.
4. Going into witness protection.

#20 of 1013 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 12:40 PM

Watch that shot end up being the last image we see in the final episode. I can see Chase pulling something like that just to screw with everyone.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow