What's new

Most surprising DVD release (1 Viewer)

Venice-H

Agent
Forgive me if this topic has come up; I didn't see anything like it when I searched.

What do you think is/are the TV show(s) that you wouldn't think would make it to DVD that have, or will?

I have three nominees:

1) All-American Girl - Not the ABC reality series, of course, but the Margaret Cho star vehicle of a decade plus ago. I didn't think it had that much going for it - it wasn't recent when it was released, it wasn't a ratings blockbuster, it didn't last that long, it wasn't much of a fan favorite/cult classic at the time, and Ms. Cho hated the show. There are probably some interesting stories about why this show was picked over hundreds (or thousands) that seemingly had more going for it.

2) Here Come the Brides - This one did last for two seasons, and has some names that were famous... 30 years ago. But the question is much the same - why this, as opposed to others? I have heard some nice things about the show, so I'll have to check it out sometime.

3) Grosse Pointe - Not that big of a surprise, but it sure made me smile when it was announced - kinda like this :D :D :D

Thanks for reading.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
All of S'more Entertainment's releases . . .

Mister Peepers (Wally Cox comdey series from the 1950s)

Good Morning World (1960s sit-com about two disc jockeys; early Goldie Hawn, pre-"Laugh-In")

Lotsa Luck (Dom DeLuise sit-com from the 1970s)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
1. Saturday Night Live Season Sets - Music issues
2. Sesame Street - While I knew they had best of releases, I never really thought they would release complete episodes of older shows for some reason

Paul

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Brady Bunch Variety Hour
Match Game 1970s
Miami Vice
, just because I thought the music would keep it off forever. It didn't.
Pink Lady & Jeff (I bought this, and it is as bad as they say. I can't believe Larry Hagman turned down a chance to host SNL but accepted a guest shot on this show)
Saturday Night Live S1, and without butchering to boot
Sesame Street: Old School
Tabitha
That's My Mama
(especially considering all the successful shows owned by Sony that are still MIA on DVD, and considering how badly this release was screwed up, even for Sony)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Ditto on Match Game. I figured game shows were an extreme long shot. If it sells well, look for a wave of other 'Best Of's' to hit shelves.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Carole and Paula in the magic garden !If the rumour that this is coming to dvd is true, then anything can come to dvd, no matter how obscure a tv show it is.Im actually looking forward to it.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK- I'm really surprised that recent flops like The Comeback, Conviction, Fat Actress< and the just-announced Lucky Louie have gotten DVD releases, while there are scores of proven TV classics from the 50s-80s have yet to see the light of day as far as DVDs are concerned!

Do these executives really believe that more people want to see the above shows instead of say, The Untouchables, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., or The Fugitive? Gimme a break!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Charles, it's the quick, easy buck that can be made on those flops. The releasing companies want to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak, while these shows are still in the minds of TV viewers. A year or so from now they'll be distant memories, while people will still be clamoring for the classics that you mention. Of the three, I believe that "The Fugitive" will see the light of day first. "U.N.C.L.E." is, apparently, a problem due to a dispute of ownership rights and may take a while, but there certainly is worldwide fan interest. Of the three, I'd guess that "The Untouchables" is the most questionable for a release anytime soon but, on a positive note, it's owned by Paramount which, among the major studios, has the best track record for releasing black & white shows from the 1950s and 1960s.

Josh_LaF

Agent
Real Name
Josh
For me the most surprising DVD release was Ned And Stacey. It just really bugs me that they didnt release this as a complete series set with 6 discs as opposed to just the first season. I have a feeling Sony will never release the second and final season of the show.

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Josh -
Ned & Stacey was a happy surprise release for me and I too was upset that they didn't just release both seasons at the same time.
I did find the complete set at **************** but no one has answered me when I asked if this site was a legal site selling legitimate sets.

Robin

Brian Wolman

Auditioning
I'd bet its an illegal set being offered on that web site. Also, do you honestly think they will reply to you with "no, we are selling illegal sets"

Mary_P

Second Unit
They're selling complete series sets of "The Wonder Years" and "WKRP in Cincinnati." That oughta tell you something right there.

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i find it surprising that "survivor" and "the amazing race" get releases.

i like the race but after you know who wins, why watch it again?

i'd be absolutely dumbfounded if any "big brother" got released.

Josh_LaF

Agent
Real Name
Josh
Big Brother 3 was released as well as a best of set for BB4. I would never buy any season of a reality show except maybe Project Runway.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think SNL in season sets is arguably the most surprising ever, because it was something that seemed humanly impossible. There have been countless obscure series to come out, but I don't think any of them were of the "never ever" variety as SNL.

All American Girl probably came out due to Margaret Cho's cult following who supports all her stand up movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks