-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Coming in November on HD-DVD...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,352 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 06:49 AM

Word has been leaked that Warner has plans to release new HD transfers of the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty, a 65mm anamorphic production, as well as Forbidden Planet (CinemaScope) in November.

Apparently additional unused footage has been found and may appear as an extra for FP.

BD discs will follow in early 2007.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 52 Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 06:56 AM

Great news thank you. I love Mutiny on the Bounty.

#3 of 52 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Forbidden Planet (CinemaScope)
DROOL!!!
We have been waiting for a re-release of this title on SD DVD, for what, SEVEN YEARS!!!
A lossless multi-channel directional soundtrack & music only track, PLEASE!!!

Did anyone watch the import version of this title?
Cool cover!
HORRIFIC transfer! :-0

As always, thanks RAH!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#4 of 52 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 07:46 AM

Re: Forbidden Planet

I hope there will be an opportunity to get both the additional footage and the Robby the Robot toy with the HD disc. Must. Have. Robby.

I haven't bought my HD DVD player yet, but this might just do it. It is a throw away for me for my SD discs, cause I only have component and can't upconvert (or does this upconvert to 540? I'm so confused.) Anyway, as the flag hasn't been activated to prevent my High Def discs from being worth buying the player I may just do it for FP.

#5 of 52 elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 09:00 AM

Why are so many old-school black and white movies coming out on HD-DVD? "It's not just people over 60 who like to own the latest technology!"

You guys KNOW what movies need to come out on HD-DVD to "succeed", and these aren't them.

#6 of 52 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elMalloc
Why are so many old-school black and white movies coming out on HD-DVD? "It's not just people over 60 who like to own the latest technology!"

You guys KNOW what movies need to come out on HD-DVD to "succeed", and these aren't them.
Umm, FP is in COLOR!
Maybe because some B&W films are CLASSICS!!!
If you had read the previous posts, you would have seen that one poster already say's they will enter the format because of one of theses titles.
So your WRONG.
Also see the threads on GN&GL.
Good night & good luck, to you!!! ;-)
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 52 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,325 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 07 2006 - 09:58 AM

Quote:

Which black and white movies are you talking about, since I only know of one that's been released which was a AA nominated film from last year?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 52 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 10:32 AM

Forbidden Planet. OMG. This will make me smile from ear to ear it's entire running time!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#9 of 52 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 07:43 PM

I am smiling from ear to ear! Marlon Brando, Richard Harris and Trevor Howard in high definition. These classic films are definitely geared to the home theater enthusiast rather than the gaming community. Both will be part of my growing HD DVD collection in November and both of my HD-A1s are hungry for more. Thank you Warner Brothers

#10 of 52 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 08:00 PM

These two great movies would make a nice addition to my collection. Finally something in HD that I am very eager to get a hold of.

Thomas Eisenmann
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#11 of 52 Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 08:41 PM

I'm almost certainly not in elMalloc's demographic (though I understand his POV, even if I disagree with it); but the presence of movies like "Robin Hood," "The Searchers," "Spartacus" and, now, "Forbidden Planet" are ABSOLUTELY the reason I decided to go with HD DVD, rather than Blu-ray.

#12 of 52 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,580 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 11:24 PM

Wow!

I was about to order the new SDVD release of Mutiny (I did order Julius Caesar), and for some odd reason delayed that...
Like others I was waiting for this movie to finally appear on DVD, and a HD version is absolutely fantastic.
The movie itself has some weaker points, but I always liked it and indeed this is a perfect candidate for a HD version.

FP would be very interesting in HD too. I wonder what that does to the 1956 special effects. There's a 2-disc 50th Anniversary SE for pre-order (I didn't order that one yet, so I'll happily wait now), this film is not bad at all. And, besides, it's rather special to see a young Leslie "Naked Gun" Nielsen, playing it straight.
And yes, FP is in (Eastman) colour.

Cees

#13 of 52 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 01:48 AM

Quote:

I freely admit that I am over 60. And even though I am perhaps going senile at such an advanced age, I can’t find the B&W movies to which you refer. Doubting my ability to recall all of the releases, I looked over Robert’s lists and can’t find them there either.

About all I can think of is that you have confused Forbidden Planet with some of the B&W, silent versions of The Tempest made even before I was born.
¡Time is not my master!

#14 of 52 MarcoAD

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 02:10 AM

I'm 27 and I'm excited about these! After seeing what they did with "The Searchers", "Grand Prix" and "Robin Hood' I can't wait. I think these types of releases will be ones that help one camp or another to be honest. The older crowd are the ones with the expendable money not the barely 20 somethings.

Either way this is good news....
Hitachi 50SV810 LCD/Onkyo SR803 Receiver/Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player/Infinity Primus 360 Towers, 160 rears & C25 Center/Velodyne DPS12 Subwoofer/Monster Power HTPS2600 Power Station and a Harmony 880
HD-DVD Supporter!

#15 of 52 Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 03:56 AM

While I love older movies it's not hard to see what elMalloc was driving at: new titles are the big sellers not catalogue re-releases. While these rumours are great for us movie lovers they're not likely to drive these new formats towards mainstream popularity the same way Pirates of the Caribbean would.

#16 of 52 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 04:28 AM

Mutiny on the Bounty, Forbidden Planet and King Kong for free with the 360 addon all in November!

GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#17 of 52 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,580 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
You guys KNOW what movies need to come out on HD-DVD to "succeed
Batman Begins, King Kong, Superman Returns, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fast & Furious, Riddick.
Perhaps a few more. That would be news!

Quote:
they're not likely to drive these new formats towards mainstream popularity the same way Pirates of the Caribbean would
Wrong studio, Rob! They refuse to bring out on HD DVD (unlike Warner Bros. to mention one).

Cees

#18 of 52 Johannes S

Johannes S

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_L
I'm almost certainly not in elMalloc's demographic (though I understand his POV, even if I disagree with it); but the presence of movies like "Robin Hood," "The Searchers," "Spartacus" and, now, "Forbidden Planet" are ABSOLUTELY the reason I decided to go with HD DVD, rather than Blu-ray.

"The Searchers", "Robin Hood", "Grand Prix" or "Blazing Saddles" were the most impressive HD-DVD releases I have seen so far. Ok, movies like "Serenity" or "Aeon Flux" are nice and entertaining time waisters to show off the format's quality, but I am impatiently waiting for Universal to release some Hitchcock classics, like "Vertigo" or some Jimmy Stewart Westerns of their library, for example...

"Forbidden Planet" and "Spartacus" is GREAT NEWS!

#19 of 52 Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Wrong studio, Rob! They refuse to bring out on HD DVD (unlike Warner Bros. to mention one).
Yeah, I realised my snaffu after scanning the thread again. Pirates just seemed like the only truly huge movie that seemed likely to be released on an HD format anytime soon. King Kong, Batman B, and the rest were successful, though not as impressive earners as WB and Uni must have hoped. Though to be honest I've never really paid much attention to which studio owns which movies - until this format "war". Posted Image

#20 of 52 dannyboy104

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 12:26 PM

So for a HD-DVD like Mutiny on the Bounty, which was shot on 65mm Super Panavision, will the transfer be taken from a 35mm copy, and will we lose any resolution in the process. Regarding the aspect ratio, will this be 2:35:1 or 2:76:1 ?
On the audio front , I hope we get the 70mm 6 track.
If this expected release looks anything like Grand Prix HD-DVD, this should be well worth looking forward to.

thanks Danny

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow