Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ugly Betty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 01:09 PM

That was a great pilot, I'll definitely be tuning in next week. America Ferrera is terrific. Posted Image

#2 of 67 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 01:11 PM

Ferrera really shines in this. Loved it and will be tuning in next week. Nice to see Vanessa Williams, too.

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,968 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 05:32 PM

It was okay, a little too formulaic, but it's hard to resist that big goofy smile loaded with a mouthful of braces. There are lot more ugly betties than pretty veronica's out there who'll tune in, so I suspect it'll stick around this season.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 03:13 AM

Anticipated outcome but still charming to say the least. I'm there next week. I have to admit her little brother actually adds to the show eventhough the role is small. I thought the scene when he wanted to see the fashion news show and his posturing was pretty funny.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,196 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 04:35 AM

The boy is actually Betty's nephew. Posted Image

I just saw it on abc.com, and thought it was great! Definitely a keeper. I agree with the critics, that this is one of the best pilots of the season.

That scene towards the end of the episode, with that mysterious lady sitting on the chair, with the face covered, made me think of her as the female Dr. Claw. Posted Image

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - December
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#6 of 67 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
The boy is actually Betty's nephew. Posted Image

Thanks for the clarification, yeah that was an interesting character at the end.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 05:37 AM

Bad time slot. I tivo Smallville and My Name is Earl/Office.

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   JoshRas

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 11:03 AM

It wasnt as great as some of the critics have said. But that being said, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

A lot like "the devil wears prada", which I loved. Even down to the final song of the show.

Am I the only one who is oddly attracted to America Ferrara? Wow, was she racked out in that models outfit...as Borat, would say...niiiice

#9 of 67 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 09:30 AM

It wouldwould have worked better as a half-hour show. It opened and finished great, but sagged badly in the middle. It has real potential, though.

#10 of 67 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 10:53 AM

I only made it about 30 minutes, and then left it. And I was stuck in a hotel on a business trip. With nothing to do. I went back to Spider Solitare on my laptop. And I don't mean computer! Badoom Ching!
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 11:06 AM

Season Pass in perpetuity. Posted Image

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 02:52 PM

Might be a bad timeslot for you, but it got a healthy 16 million viewers. Definitely not bad. Unfortunately MNIE and The Office dipped to about 8 million each, and Smallville only 5.

#13 of 67 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,513 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 01 2006 - 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
It was okay, a little too formulaic
Have you ever heard of TELENOVELA?Posted Image That was downright innovative and restrained compared to what it spawned from.
Quote:
but it's hard to resist that big goofy smile loaded with a mouthful of braces.
She was the most emotionally grabbing of the four storylines in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" by far and she continues those same qualities here. There's just something innately loveable and sympathetic about her that makes her perfect for this role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate
I have to admit her little brother actually adds to the show eventhough the role is small. I thought the scene when he wanted to see the fashion news show and his posturing was pretty funny.
Very, very well played. The role is written to be very over-the-top homosexual, but the kid underplays it enough to bring it back to reality. Not the obvious decision, but the right one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRas
A lot like "the devil wears prada", which I loved. Even down to the final song of the show.
Very much so; it's what I thought of immediately as well. Better lead in this, thoughPosted Image
Quote:
Am I the only one who is oddly attracted to America Ferrara? Wow, was she racked out in that models outfit...as Borat, would say...niiiice
I think more than any sort of physical attraction, she plays the kind of people I'd like to have in my life. Kind, optimistic, selfless heart-on-her-sleeve type people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_Cooperman
Same here. Fortunately, ABC has committed to streaming the most recent episode at any given time full-length on their website: ABC Full Episodes
I liked it enough to go through the bullshit. Earl and Office are going to stay real time (if only because NBC comes through shit on my VCR), Smallville's going on tape, and Betty's going to be online.

I don't think the networks could have have a better pilot to bring English-language Hispanic television out of the George Lopez ghetto. Very, very promising start. Really liked Tony Plana, too. Had a sort of Kris Kristofferson/Danny Trejo thing going on.

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit

• 422 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted October 02 2006 - 10:42 PM

Quote:

I don't know if this was just for the first episode, but it re-aired on ABC Family and the Soap Opera channel throughout the week. You may be in luck if the entire season gets the same treatment.
Everybody relax, I'm here. -Jack Burton

#15 of 67 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 06:49 PM

Just watched ep1 and ep2. I love it! Predictable, corny, but just so entertaining.

I hope this one sticks around.

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,513 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 06 2006 - 06:59 PM

I also thought the second episode was really good. The Editor looks pretty damn close to exactly like Apollo on Battlestar, though, which definitely threw me off tonight.

#17 of 67 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,968 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 03:26 PM

How much weight did America Ferrara lose between the pilot and the 2nd episode?

The background music is fast becoming intrusive foreground music, and it's just getting to be too much for my taste. It's like the fake laugh track that is supposed to tell the audience when to laugh.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   Felipe S

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:32 AM

I think it's gonna be a little hard to market this show to american audiences as well as to hispanics because its based on a latin american 'novela' that was a HUGE success in latin america. So the hispanic viewers will be comparing it to the original 'Betty la Fea' and the american crowd will probably be comparing it to The Devil Wears Prada.

Hispanics will like the little in-jokes particularly if they've seen the original show. Americans might like the absurdity of some of the characters if they choose to follow the formula of the latin american show.

So far its been pretty good. We'll see what else they come up with.

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 09:18 PM

I'm officially on board with the latest episode. Vulgar, campy and yet sweet without being cloying. Betty's family is actually believable and I love that little queen in training Justin. Best show of the season, by far.

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   Felipe S

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 07:43 AM

Another quirk that hispanics will notice....
Whenever they show a clip from the 'novela' that Betty's family always watches on tv, its full of cameos by very famous actors and especially actresses from latin american novelas.

For instance, yesterday's episode had a cameo by the very yummy Jacqueline Bracamontes.

Posted Image

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow