What's new

BETTY WHITE 99 TODAY (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Happy birthday Betty White. 99 years old today. The last of THE GOLDEN GIRLS to survive. It has been 35 years since we first had the pleasure of seeing THE GOLDEN GIRLS on tv. Seven golden seasons and all still hilarious when seen today. It is the only American TV series that I have in my 1000 plus dvd/bluray collection. Perhaps a bluray release of the series would be great to celebrate your centenary next year?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ahhhh, good news still exists.

Thank You cinemiracle for your upbeat post; and, most of all, Thank You Betty White for bringing us so many seasons of MTM and GG laughter. :thumbs-up-smiley:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What an amazing lady. She is awesome in everything she does and also appears to be the personification of grace.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Happy birthday Betty White. 99 years old today. The last of THE GOLDEN GIRLS to survive. It has been 35 years since we first had the pleasure of seeing THE GOLDEN GIRLS on tv. Seven golden seasons and all still hilarious when seen today. It is the only American TV series that I have in my 1000 plus dvd/bluray collection. Perhaps a bluray release of the series would be great to celebrate your centenary next year?
It's not on film.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I believe her birthday is actually this Sunday, January 17
That was the day that the post was made. Maybe a time difference between the country when listed and the USA. Also we can only have ONE birthday-all the rest are anniversaries of one's birth.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
She also is a regular on Match Game. Almost 400 episodes.
...and pretty much every iteration of Password ;). I thought she was great in Hot in Cleveland - including several reunions featuring surviving members of MTM (Georgia Engel joined the show as a regular) and The Carol Burnett Show.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
95112404-2C41-48EC-8FEA-35C535221CF0.jpeg

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I've been watching various episodes of her first sitcom Life with Elizabeth from 68 years ago (!)
Even then, there was a game show connection with Jack Narz as the announcer.

Trying to find an episode list of all 65 episodes but most sources have different episodes only totaling around 40 or so. Most sources don't agree what season the episode is in if it's stated at all, or agree what the titles are (sometimes more like descriptions than official titles). Decades shows it occasionally, but again only so many episodes. I have about 30 episodes on various PD sets with some duplicates. Wonder if all the episodes are available; wonder if Betty has a list herself?

Betty has stated herself she thought the lost episodes (live on a local station before it went national) were better and was somewhat surprised at seeing some of the filmed episodes available on a PD DVD set. Also have a few episodes of her later 1950s sitcom A Date with the Angels. After these two sitcoms she seemed to become more of a "personality" appearing on talk or game shows and didn't really get back into sitcom acting until Mary Tyler Moore.

Last edited:

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Throughout the sixties, she was indeed more of a all-around "personality" who seemed to be all over TV, but not in any one role. She and Lorne Greene were memorable as hosts of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC thoughout most of the 1960s and in addition to all the game show appearances, she did lots and lots of commercials for products for the home and kitchen, which is why the Mary Tyler Moore people were looking for a "Betty White-type" when casting the role of the Happy Homemaker.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Throughout the sixties, she was indeed more of a all-around "personality" who seemed to be all over TV, but not in any one role. She and Lorne Greene were memorable as hosts of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC thoughout most of the 1960s and in addition to all the game show appearances, she did lots and lots of commercials for products for the home and kitchen, which is why the Mary Tyler Moore people were looking for a "Betty White-type" when casting the role of the Happy Homemaker.
As late as 1971 in the four-hour TV movie "Vanished," with many current and future TV actors including Larry Hagman, Larry Linville, William Shatner, Tom Bosley and Robert Young (alongside star Richard Widmark) Betty White played herself as a newscaster alongside Chet Huntley!

Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall Fish
Betty's 1971 syndicated series, The Pet Set, was released about seven weeks ago on DVD and some streaming platforms. It's been renamed Betty White's Pet Set. The premise was Betty would interview her celebrity guests, like Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett, Jimmy and Gloria Stewart, etc. , who would bring along their pets. Then you'd have examples of the pet (say Mary Tyler Moore's poodles), from puppies to adults. There'd be an exotic animal on the show each week, as well, and more.

39 episodes were produced, and all are in this set on five discs. The sixth disc includes episodes of Life With Elizabeth and Date with the Angels, Betty hosting Password in a 1975 episode with Allen Ludden playing the game (from kinescope, apparently a source video of the show wasn't available), Betty on the panel of a 1964 edition of The Price Is Right with Bill Cullen, and a lot more.

A couple of people weren't happy with the pixilation in this MPI Video release. But, I had no problem with the video picture, figuring it's 1971 and has that early 70's video look, Two different sources, tapes from L.A.'s Paley Center and Betty's own archives, were used for this release. It's a real enjoyable DVD release, with Betty doing a great job as host. She has said in interviews that it's one of her favorite shows she ever worked on.

Yesterday, my web review/article on the Betty White's Pet Set DVD collection was published online. The link is below.

Thanks,
Marshall

Link to Betty White's Pet Set release web article/review

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks