What's new

Ugly Betty (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
That was a great pilot, I'll definitely be tuning in next week. America Ferrera is terrific. :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil_L

Second Unit
Ferrera really shines in this. Loved it and will be tuning in next week. Nice to see Vanessa Williams, too.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was okay, a little too formulaic, but it's hard to resist that big goofy smile loaded with a mouthful of braces. There are lot more ugly betties than pretty veronica's out there who'll tune in, so I suspect it'll stick around this season.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Anticipated outcome but still charming to say the least. I'm there next week. I have to admit her little brother actually adds to the show eventhough the role is small. I thought the scene when he wanted to see the fashion news show and his posturing was pretty funny.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The boy is actually Betty's nephew. :)

I just saw it on abc.com and thought it was great! Definitely a keeper. I agree with the critics, that this is one of the best pilots of the season.

That scene towards the end of the episode, with that mysterious lady sitting on the chair, with the face covered, made me think of her as the female Dr. Claw. :D

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
It wasnt as great as some of the critics have said. But that being said, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

A lot like "the devil wears prada", which I loved. Even down to the final song of the show.

Am I the only one who is oddly attracted to America Ferrara? Wow, was she racked out in that models outfit...as Borat, would say...niiiice

Jace_A

Second Unit
It wouldwould have worked better as a half-hour show. It opened and finished great, but sagged badly in the middle. It has real potential, though.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I only made it about 30 minutes, and then left it. And I was stuck in a hotel on a business trip. With nothing to do. I went back to Spider Solitare on my laptop. And I don't mean computer! Badoom Ching!

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Season Pass in perpetuity.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Might be a bad timeslot for you, but it got a healthy 16 million viewers. Definitely not bad. Unfortunately MNIE and The Office dipped to about 8 million each, and Smallville only 5.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Same here. Fortunately, ABC has committed to streaming the most recent episode at any given time full-length on their website: ABC Full Episodes
I liked it enough to go through the bullshit. Earl and Office are going to stay real time (if only because NBC comes through shit on my VCR), Smallville's going on tape, and Betty's going to be online.

I don't think the networks could have have a better pilot to bring English-language Hispanic television out of the George Lopez ghetto. Very, very promising start. Really liked Tony Plana, too. Had a sort of Kris Kristofferson/Danny Trejo thing going on.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

I don't know if this was just for the first episode, but it re-aired on ABC Family and the Soap Opera channel throughout the week. You may be in luck if the entire season gets the same treatment.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Just watched ep1 and ep2. I love it! Predictable, corny, but just so entertaining.

I hope this one sticks around.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I also thought the second episode was really good. The Editor looks pretty damn close to exactly like Apollo on Battlestar, though, which definitely threw me off tonight.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How much weight did America Ferrara lose between the pilot and the 2nd episode?

The background music is fast becoming intrusive foreground music, and it's just getting to be too much for my taste. It's like the fake laugh track that is supposed to tell the audience when to laugh.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's gonna be a little hard to market this show to american audiences as well as to hispanics because its based on a latin american 'novela' that was a HUGE success in latin america. So the hispanic viewers will be comparing it to the original 'Betty la Fea' and the american crowd will probably be comparing it to The Devil Wears Prada.

Hispanics will like the little in-jokes particularly if they've seen the original show. Americans might like the absurdity of some of the characters if they choose to follow the formula of the latin american show.

So far its been pretty good. We'll see what else they come up with.

Jace_A

Second Unit
I'm officially on board with the latest episode. Vulgar, campy and yet sweet without being cloying. Betty's family is actually believable and I love that little queen in training Justin. Best show of the season, by far.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
Another quirk that hispanics will notice....
Whenever they show a clip from the 'novela' that Betty's family always watches on tv, its full of cameos by very famous actors and especially actresses from latin american novelas.

For instance, yesterday's episode had a cameo by the very yummy Jacqueline Bracamontes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks