Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV upgrade confusion!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Bepaof8

Bepaof8

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 02:33 PM

I just upgraded my 5.1 setup, and am now gathering information to upgrade to a bigger/better HDTV when I move to my new house in 6 months. Unfortunately, thus far the info is getting me very confused, and searching for answers is just making it worse. Could some kind soul please help?

HDTV's under consideration right now: Sony KDS-R60XBR1, Samsung HLS6188, Toshiba 62MX196. (I may consider others eventually, but my budget allows only a max of $3k to $3.5k)

Expected use: DirectTV - which I know nothing about, and upconverted DVD viewing. (I can't upconvert now - my current RPTV has no HDMI input. Upconverting importance: with 440 DVD's in my library, I will not abandon them for HD DVD - no matter how good the picture is!)

Questions:
1. DVI, HDMI, DVI/HDMI, etc. I understand HDMI. It's a type of input connection like component. But what the heck is DVI, and how is it related to HDMI? This really confuses me!

2. How does DirectTV connect to a HDTV for the highest detail? HDMI? Component? DVI?

3. Do the HDTV's at this price level do any upconverting, or would all of that be done by an upconverting DVD player?

4. SD. If a HDTV has a not-so-good SD picture as I've read that some do, why would anybody buy it? It doesn't make sense to me - unless the HDTV upconverts everything to 720p and better.

5. Some HDTV's have multiple HDMI inputs, some have only one. Why would someone need more than one HDMI input on their HDTV? I have a brand new Yamaha RX-V559 receiver, so I'm not about to buy another one to help merge multiple HDMI connections into one. Is there any other device that does this?

Many thanks for your help with this!
Pete

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
1. DVI, HDMI, DVI/HDMI, etc. I understand HDMI. It's a type of input connection like component. But what the heck is DVI, and how is it related to HDMI? This really confuses me!

Think of DVI as HDMI without audio. As a matter of fact, an HDMI out can be connected to a DVI in (and vice versa) with just a DVI->HDMI cable. There are a couple of maximum throughput differences with the standards, but essentially they are the same except for audio.

Quote:
2. How does DirectTV connect to a HDTV for the highest detail? HDMI? Component? DVI?
Any of the above, depending on the box. The differences between the three are minor, with some giving the edge to HDMI.
Quote:
3. Do the HDTV's at this price level do any upconverting, or would all of that be done by an upconverting DVD player?
All non-crt based TV's will scale to their native resolution, but whether that scaling is superior to the DVD player scaling is up to you to decide.
Quote:
4. SD. If a HDTV has a not-so-good SD picture as I've read that some do, why would anybody buy it? It doesn't make sense to me - unless the HDTV upconverts everything to 720p and better.
Because the HDTV/DVD picture is what matters most to these people. If your stereo sounded great with modern high definition musical recording but sounded lousy with 78 RPM vinyl from the 30's, you'd only be concerned about it if you collected many 78 RPM vinyl records, right? IMO, no new technology should be judged on how it handles old standards if the old standard is going away. Besides, the new technology does not have "a not-so-good SD picture", it's actually the SD picture that is not-so-good and the HD displays, because of their superior quality, show a lot more of SD's flaws.
Quote:
Some HDTV's have multiple HDMI inputs, some have only one. Why would someone need more than one HDMI input on their HDTV? I have a brand new Yamaha RX-V559 receiver, so I'm not about to buy another one to help merge multiple HDMI connections into one. Is there any other device that does this?
I think you answered your own question. More HDMI inputs means more flexibility for the future. As HDMI becomes the standard, your current capabilities of your receiver/TV may outgrow the HDMI sources you aquire. More HDMI ins means more sources for the future, without having to buy a cumbersome switchbox.

Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)

Forum Nav Content I Follow