What's new

My Home theater Page (1 Viewer)

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I am slowly writing up my home theater and articles that ouline the decisions I used to come to my final arrangment. I am doing it all with an eye to kepeing the ocsts reasonable. That is why I call my page cheapdaveshometheater.com.

I have written reviews on the individual components and I am working on posting more pittures of my system.

So if it is Ok to put a link to it here it is:
Cheap Dave's Home Theater

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
Ok I have added some pictures of the construction of my HT. (mainly links)

A blurry picture from LOTR
home theater picture

My projection room:
Projection Room
projection%20room.jpg

My cool HT couch:
couch2

More picture links
Cheap Dave's HT pictures

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I am getting ready to build a platform for my rear seats and I am planning to incorporate a sub into it.

I am probably going to use 2 15" drivers and a plate amplifier. That should add some extreme low end boom to my room. It will also free up my in-wall subs for the less demanding stuff and I will take some of the bottom end out of my front Left Right and Center speakers to try to make the dialog a little more clear.

I am also trying to get a little bit of the "butt kicker" effect in those rear seats. Should be fun for the kiddies.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I am looking at doing a secondary system in my living room. It is a very large room but it won't be my main system so I won't try to do the whole HT experience.

I am looking at the Vizio 50" plasma, and Klipsch speakers. ANybody have any suggestions.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
One if the really cool things about my HT is that at the back of the room I have a 5' x 16' projection room. It runs the whole width of the HT. I have all my equipment in here. There is plenty of room for a component rack set sideways so I can get to both sides of my components.

There is even room back here for a desk and computer, mini-fridge, microwave and all of my movies.

The extra wall also acts as a double sound wall (it has rockwool insulation in it) to give more sound separation to from the rest of the house.

I use a RF remote extender to control everything.

It is cool when you get to build from scratch, you can do it however you want!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
David

I like what you have done with the screen speakers, but there way to close to the floor. Now if that is a perforated screen place those screen speakers about 2/3 of the height of the screen, and the sub bass below the centre channel.

Not too sure if you have constructed a (THX baffle wall) here but at least you have got the front loudspeakers matching where most others mismatch the concept.

Also the width of the image and the positioning of the screen speakers should be kept within the (scope frame) W/S films don’t correct too easily has they do in the cinema has this is done on the vertical instead of the horizontal, but just so you know get those loudspeakers up where they belong.

“You haven’t heard anything yet...”
Al Jolson, “The Jazz Singer” 1927 the first talkie to use sound Vitaphone and JBL.

You might what to look into active crossovers units for the screen speakers, and EQ with 1/3 octave, and multiple surrounds.

When it comes to surround information I decided to employ the JBL control 1, for my home cinema, up till now I have installed around x8 JBL control 1, x2 on each sidewall and x4 on the back wall, with a further x8 more to install.

Now forget dipolar and bipolar loudspeakers waste of time and money giving there performance, I have tried with bipolar, and decided the results where far less than surround, with to many holes in the sound, I surly wasn’t going to shell out on other pair and so on, not at there silly prices.

Anyway that’s history now, and with x5 JBL control 5 placed at the front and a one 18” THX approved JBL 4645 with a newer 18” sub bass driver 2242H, which I have been running for the past 9 years sounds like cinema sub bass, and not that honky phoney sound that you get with those whippy size home cinema subs, although I do own one, the Eltax A R-12, but the JBL 4645, is light-years ahead, and when the U.S.S. Enterprise goes to warp 2 the feel is wonderful or the Millennium Falcon going to hyperspace, with a jolt of 115dbc, the max level I have played it back at was 120dbc on the afterburners where turned on, the SR-71 black bird in “Final Approach” WOW!

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
My front speakers are as close to the bottom of the "screen" as they can be. I am using the white wall as the screen. AS this room was purpose built I made sure that wall was very flat and has no texture. So it works great as a screen. (the in-wall speakers do have directional tweeters and I have aimed those towards the listener)

The subs are in-wall NHT subs and I installed them per their recommendations. So close to the front corner and the second one is about 2/3 of the way dwon the right wall.

My rears and sides are mounted on the wall as I didn't want to cut into these sound insulated walls as I figure that would defeat the purpose.

Using my projectors many modes I can usually get the most normal picture and come pretty close to filling the vertical height of the screen area. I have a power zoom on the projector so for extreme widescreen I zoom out until it fills the height. So it is really wide screen (not letterbox).

Thanks for the tips.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I am not the biggest NFL football fan but it looks so good in HD on the big screen that I may watch a lot more of it this year.

I think a lot of people overlook the capability of these projectors to throw a really great HD picture. With more content coming out all the time, and Blu-Ray and HD-DVD here now don't underestimate how much time you might spend just mesmorized by HDTV on your HT.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Nice looking setup. It is great to see someone else who used the idea of a pitched ceiling. I saw something similar in a store once and fell in love with the look.

The only thing that I would add is some sort of black border around the projected image. That would really make the image stand out on your painted white wall.

Parker

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
Thanks. I had kind of a strange sloped ceiling in that room (half a cathedral ceiling). So while I was framing I made it peak in the center. We also did stars on the ceiling, which is a cool effect.

I have black at the top and bottom. But I use the zoom to adjust for aspect ratio so I can't do it on the sides. My plan is to have curtains (with a built in hard, straight edge). So I will adjust my screen just like the movie theater.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
All of the electronics for my system were less than $2,000 total (including $1,200 for the projector). I never figured the cost of the room. I needed to finish that anyway ;-)

the carpet was about $800 and the seats were $1500.So less than $5000.

The room is 16' x 17' with a 5' wide projection room running the full width at the back. This acts as a sound buffer to the rest of the house (and a little office too).

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Where did you make your webpage at? Also please post more pictures as you change or update things. I enjoyed checking out some of your site and your set up.

Thanks

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
A friend of mine set up my web page. He is a real wiz*. He hosts it for me too. It is very easy to update and add articles.

I need to add more pictures. My next big project is a rear riser/subwoofer.

You can see more of his stuff at http://gwally.com

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
David. Very nice work, but don't advertise your frugality. If my wife ever finds out, she'll be asking me why I can't keep the costs down a bit more. Bad for everyone here. :laugh:

Seriously. Nice setup. Congrats!

Gunny

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I know that many on this forum are not my "target" audience. I like the screen that you made. Oviously you didn't spend $2000+ as you would have on a high end screen. I assume you saved money on the screen to buy more BHS (Big Honkin' Speakers).

My thing is just that you should decide where you want to spend your money. (don't let some radio shack geek tell you that you need $125 HDMI cables).

Thanks for looking and sharing your HT.

One question, why didn't you hang your projector?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks