My Home theater Page (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I didn't originally build the room out with a projector in mind. I started with a 65" Mits 65809. When I added the projector, I just didn't feel like cutting into the ceiling. I am a technical creature. I have zero drywall skills.

Gunny

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright

WHo said anything about drywall. You can get a mount. Then you just need some lag bolts or something anchored into a joist. Or you can build a shelf. I have done it both ways.

To mount from the ceiling you need the projector upside down.

Of course I am one to talk, I haven't put in my permanent shelf in this theater yet. I do all kinds of crummy adjustments with wads of paper.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
My next project in my home theater will be a rear platform/subwoofer. I will be doing research here for ideas. I may make it a low riser to put a couch on. Or I may make it the seat so I have that whole volume for the sub. Probably 2x15" drivers.

There are lots of things to think about. Folded horn? Ported or sealed. powered or passive.

I want some low bass 20-40hz. But I also want to get the "butt kicker" effect for the back row. So I will probably violate some of the basic subwoofer rules. IE I want vibration instead of the usual super dead subwoofer.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
After tonight's movie (Heat) I really want a little more ohmph in my system. I want sneaky bass. The kind that isn't there all the time. But when something blows up you almost jump.

I did have that kind of reaction watching King Kong. The is one seen with Kong where he slams his fist down so hard that you jump.

So that was good I just want it a little more often.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I would want all of my cable to run throuth the ceiling, so I figured that would involve drywall work. As it stands, I'm happy with what I have. Since my room is primarily dedicated to movies [and football] I wasn't overly concerned with the aesthetics.

PS - My SVS PB12 Plus has all the bass I could ever imagine needing, sneaky or otherwise.

Happy viewing!

Gunny

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I want my sub to combine really tight bass with a ride at Unversal Studios. Move along folks nothing to see here and then WHAM!! Out of the blue you get hit by a mack truck. I want the really deep, deep bass to rock your world. So as opposed to a really dead enclosure I might want a little more buzz.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

But the sub is my back row. So you sit on it. Big, boom, bang and a comfy seat.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Uncle Hulka?

I took a look at your web site but could not find any pics of your setup. Did I miss them?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Awesome theater!!! So you specially built a room for your components and projector? How do you interact with the components that you need to see? On screen displays?

Gunny

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I finally got PS3. I was waiting for the hd-dvd vs blu-ray battle to be over. I had picked the winner early but was still waiting for blue prices.

It looks awesome. The only movie I have watched so far is Spiderman 3 (came with the PS3). My one word review "yuck".

I already bought Fifth Element, but we have to wait for Friday to watch it. Company is coming over. Still that is my favorite HT movie.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
So I use a RF/IR repeater to make my regulare remotes control the components in the projection room. It wokrs OK for everything but the projector. So to set up the movie aspect ratio and zoom I have to go back there. But usually you only do that whne you start the movie.

I also have a logitech universal remote and now the PS3 controller is bluetooth and works fine with through the wall.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
Thanks, I framed that in myself. The basic plan had a half of a cathedral ceiling. So it would have been like a shed roof. So I split it and made it have a peak in the center.

We also did stars on the ceiling. When the projector is on you can;t really see them. But when you have a dark scene in a movie they come out. Really cool in space movies, like Star Wars.

The projection room is a nice feature. I can have the lights on in there, pick movies set everything and then go into my dark theater and enjoy. It also acts as a sound buffer to the rest of the house.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I am aving a good time trying out the PS3 games on my HT. So far I have had Lair and Rachet and Clank. It is really cool to see how the surround sound works real time. If you have a steam vent in front of you and you move left the sound moves right or you pass it and the sound moves to behind you.

Also the soundtrack on these games is getting really goood. This aint Space Invaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks