Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

how to test a speaker without actually hooking it to a receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 12:57 PM

I'd like to know if there is a way to test a speaker to see if it functions properly without actually hooking it to a receiver. Is there a speaker test device which will do this?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question.

Regards,
orestes

#2 of 9 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:05 PM

NO

#3 of 9 Greg-ST

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:24 PM

I don't believe there's any tester for a finished speaker (including the crossover). Parts Express sells a woofer tester, but it's designed to test the bare speaker by itself.

#4 of 9 orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:52 PM

BTW, I am asking this question because I bought a pair of used speakers from ebay (due to arrive tomorrow), and I want to test them.

Regards,
orestes

#5 of 9 RichardH

RichardH

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:15 PM

I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires. I suppose if you could find one of those, it could be a test. But, it might sound the same even if a woofer is blown, so I don't think that's a good way to test a speaker for the purposes of buying it.

#6 of 9 Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:33 PM

"I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires."

This can be done with a battery by simply touching the speaker wires on the positive and minus of the battery. This will create a sound allowing you to identify speakers but as was said before you cannot tell if a speaker is totally sound without hearing it as intended.

#7 of 9 DavidSGT

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 07:03 PM

Dry cells thru' the speaker cables but I don't think it will show anything except that the driver is still working.

Not much help here.

Regards.
David

#8 of 9 DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 02:11 AM

I'm guessing you are looking for a way to test so that if they are damaged you do not harm your receiver? If so, I would use a multi meter to check that there is not a direct short across the input terminals. Assuming that checks out OK, anything else that might be wrong with them would be unlikely to damage your receiver.

-Dave

#9 of 9 David Payne

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 01:59 PM

Depending on what you want to check out, using a signal generator to input test tones to the speaker might be a good idea. I'm not sure how much they cost though.