Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

how to test a speaker without actually hooking it to a receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 12:57 PM

I'd like to know if there is a way to test a speaker to see if it functions properly without actually hooking it to a receiver. Is there a speaker test device which will do this?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question.

Regards,
orestes

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:05 PM

NO

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Greg-ST

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:24 PM

I don't believe there's any tester for a finished speaker (including the crossover). Parts Express sells a woofer tester, but it's designed to test the bare speaker by itself.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:52 PM

BTW, I am asking this question because I bought a pair of used speakers from ebay (due to arrive tomorrow), and I want to test them.

Regards,
orestes

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   RichardH

RichardH

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:15 PM

I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires. I suppose if you could find one of those, it could be a test. But, it might sound the same even if a woofer is blown, so I don't think that's a good way to test a speaker for the purposes of buying it.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:33 PM

"I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires."

This can be done with a battery by simply touching the speaker wires on the positive and minus of the battery. This will create a sound allowing you to identify speakers but as was said before you cannot tell if a speaker is totally sound without hearing it as intended.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   DavidSGT

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 07:03 PM

Dry cells thru' the speaker cables but I don't think it will show anything except that the driver is still working.

Not much help here.

Regards.
David

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 02:11 AM

I'm guessing you are looking for a way to test so that if they are damaged you do not harm your receiver? If so, I would use a multi meter to check that there is not a direct short across the input terminals. Assuming that checks out OK, anything else that might be wrong with them would be unlikely to damage your receiver.

-Dave

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   David Payne

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 01:59 PM

Depending on what you want to check out, using a signal generator to input test tones to the speaker might be a good idea. I'm not sure how much they cost though.