how to test a speaker without actually hooking it to a receiver?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by orestes, Apr 5, 2006.

1. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I'd like to know if there is a way to test a speaker to see if it functions properly without actually hooking it to a receiver. Is there a speaker test device which will do this?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question.

Regards,
    orestes

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    NO

3. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

I don't believe there's any tester for a finished speaker (including the crossover). Parts Express sells a woofer tester, but it's designed to test the bare speaker by itself.

4. orestes

orestes Second Unit

BTW, I am asking this question because I bought a pair of used speakers from ebay (due to arrive tomorrow), and I want to test them.

Regards,
    orestes

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires. I suppose if you could find one of those, it could be a test. But, it might sound the same even if a woofer is blown, so I don't think that's a good way to test a speaker for the purposes of buying it.

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

"I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires."

This can be done with a battery by simply touching the speaker wires on the positive and minus of the battery. This will create a sound allowing you to identify speakers but as was said before you cannot tell if a speaker is totally sound without hearing it as intended.

7. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Dry cells thru' the speaker cables but I don't think it will show anything except that the driver is still working.

Not much help here.

Regards.
    David

8. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I'm guessing you are looking for a way to test so that if they are damaged you do not harm your receiver? If so, I would use a multi meter to check that there is not a direct short across the input terminals. Assuming that checks out OK, anything else that might be wrong with them would be unlikely to damage your receiver.

-Dave

9. David Payne

David Payne Stunt Coordinator

Depending on what you want to check out, using a signal generator to input test tones to the speaker might be a good idea. I'm not sure how much they cost though.