What's new

Nikon 18-70mm wanted (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am buying a Nikon D50 digital camera and I am looking to get the Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens to go with it.

This is the lens that normally is sold with the D70 kit. If anyone has a good used one for sale or knows of one at a good price pelase let me know. I am looking at eBay and there are lots of them available there and I may go that route if necessary.

Thanks,
Glenn

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Before you buy one off eBay, you might want to check out Nikoncafe.com to see if anybody is selling one over there. You might end up w/ a better deal over there or one in better condition perhaps.

You might also enjoy the general community over there, if you were looking for a camera/photography forum site w/ a slant towards Nikon. :D

Happy shooting...

_Man_

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The prices have come down recently as a lot of people are selling them off to make way for the new 18-200 VR.

Ultimate Nikon lens bargain though is the 50mm 1.8D. Killer sharpness and low-light ability.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, if you don't mind used and can get it for $150-200, I hear the Nikon 70-210 can be a great bargain too for a tele zoom.

I have the 50 f/1.8. Yeah, it's a good bargain, but I'm not too crazy about this focal length (on a DX body anyway) and rarely use mine. Most people use it (or the 50 f/1.4) for formal portraits and maybe certain kinds of indoors (semi-)action photos -- I've used it on occasion for the latter myself. If you don't shoot such, you might be better off spending the $$$ on something else, maybe even the 60mm f/2.8 micro or Sigma 50 f/2.8 macro, if you like shooting macros at those focal lengths. OR maybe an SB800 speedlight -- or a good diffuser for the speedlight.

Personally, even if I want to shoot portraits, I'd rather go w/ something a bit longer like 85 f/1.8 (or f/1.4 if you can afford it). :D Or if I'm shooting candids indoors, I'd prefer the 35 f/2 most of the time.

_Man_

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I will probably buy a 50mm 1.8D just for general use. Then later maybe I will buy a larger zoom, I will look into the 70-210 to go along with the 18-70.

Thanks,
Glenn

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Glenn I have the 'D' version of the 70-210. I boughht it off eBay for £230 and will get a similar price when I sell it in the near future.

Nice lens. Sharp and fast to focus but personally I find it heavy and a bit clunky to use. When I get my hands on the 18-200 it'll go up for sale.

I love taking the 50 1.8 out because it's dead light, dead sharp and I find the fixed length (admittedly a tad long, as Man says) helps me to think about composition a bit more. I've also just got the Tokina 12-24 but haven't had chance to really do much with it yet. It'll get a good workout when I'm in Glen Coe next month.

I'd love to get the 85mm. And the 60 macro (or 105). And the 70-200 VR :)

Man - how do you find the 35mm F2? I've heard good things about it but then the Sigma 30mm 1.4 came out. Your thoughts on that one?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, Rob.

I don't have the 70-200VR, but I do have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and find it good enough for my needs in most instances. Yeah, there are times when I wish I have VR, but so far, I have not been able to justify the much higher price tag (and the extra cost associated w/ upgrading). Yeah, like all(?) Sigma lenses, it does have a bit of yellow cast and softer contrast than roughly equiv Nikon counterparts. Maybe someday I will bend and take the plunge for the upgrade -- almost did a couple times. :D

I like the 35 f/2. I'd say it's about as sharp as my 50 f/1.8. It's a tad heavier and about the same size (and can use the same lens hood for DX bodies). I use a clip-on Nikon hood for it (and the 50 f/1.8) -- it's designed for 50mm lens and might cause vignetting if shooting the 35mm on a FF body (ie. film). Edges are a bit soft when the lens is opened wide much like my 50 f/1.8. I got it maybe a year before the Sigma 30 f/1.4 came out. Haven't seen the Sigma in action, but I suspect it's a bit softer than the Nikon 28 f/1.4 at or near wide open w/ a bit of yellow cast thrown in (as I pointed out above about Sigma lenses). I might consider upgrading to that at some point since the street price seems much lower than I expected.

I was also considering the Sigma 20 f/1.8 before, but maybe they will come out w/ something better for APS-sized digital bodies like they did w/ the 30 f/1.4. In the meantime, I still use my 18-70DX when I need to go wideangle. I did also consider getting the Tokina 12-24, but I'm not sure I really need to go *that* wide.

Yeah, I agree that using a fixed focal length lens does help train oneself to see better for composition. And actually, I very often use a fixed focal length lens as my walkaround. :D

Are you getting the 18-200VR? I told my sister to get one for her D50 since she doesn't want to lug around extra lenses (or a pod). I'll probably get to check it out when she finally does -- but that might not happen til summer.

_Man_

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I will be getting the 18-200 definitely. It looks to be a very promising lens and the VR will help a hand-hold kludge like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks