What's new

Dricore vs. Acoustic Mat (Owens Corning) (1 Viewer)

Eddie C

Auditioning
I am undecided on which product to choose. Has anyone used these products?

Please share your experiences and recommendations. Thanks

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I've installed DriCore in my basement. I won't know how it sounds for another month yet and won't be able to compare much to Acoustic Mat.

What I can tell you is that DriCore is incredibly easy to install and it adds a great deal of warmth (my secondary reason for installing it) in my basement. Stepping in bare feet from DriCore to bare concrete is quite a shock.

The only thing to keep in mind is local building codes and if the addition of either will offset any rise between floor level and any steps/stairs leading to that level. Code in Wisconsin restricts variences between steps to less than 3/16". I only had to modify two steps between the floor and a transitional platform and was able to do so by a bit of measuring, some trial and error and a friend with a nice 13" planar. ;)

If you are in the Wisconsin area, you are welcome to come over and listen/feel for yourself in a month or so, once my home theater is completed.

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at Dricore myself and it is on sale this week at Menards. Where about in Wisconsin are you? I am right by the southwest corner of your state..

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Not too far, I live in Dubuque.

Dricore is the way to go for me in my present situation. Wish they had some free samples...like 80 of them!

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Well, as far as improving audio it remains to be heard. I have a few areas where there is a ever so little gap between the DriCore and the concrete. I had used the leveling kits to adjust for this, but it seems with the change in seasons (humidity) the panels have shifted and warped (nothing that you can see, but enough to notice while walking over an effected spot if you are looking for it).

I am also hoping that any "clicks" (real or imagined) will be eliminated by upgraded padding and thick Berber carpeting but still plan to anchor it at strategic points.

DriCore is designed to be "floating" over the concrete. Their installation instructions dictate a gap around the permiter of the room between the wall and panels (which I had done). If carpeting over it, they recommend anchoring the panels to the concrete using anchor screws ever six feet, then one into the center of the room, to minimize possibility of panels buckling when the carpet is stretched tight. It looks like I will be doing this, and also anchoring the panels at spots where I can "feel" it "click" when stepping on it (still nothing very audible mind you, but I want to ensure that the floor doesn't buzz when I'm watching Star Wars!).

You are welcome to visit if you ever find yourself on a road trip over this way. I plan to have my home theater completed by the end of the month.

Regards,
Spence

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks