-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

First thread?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Elijah

Elijah

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 01:56 AM

Ok, so I just thought it would be fun to kick off the HD-software discussion early (not to mention getting first post Posted Image), but I dont want to be off topic so from another thread:

Quote:
I am anticipating the conversion from SD-DVD>HD-DVD to be similar to that of VHS>SD-DVD (only quicker). I am expecting to see the first HD releases as somewhat "barebones" similar to the first DVD releases. Not barebones as compared to DVD's (as HD will likely include much of the same) but barebones as in comparison to what HD will hold in just a few years.

Just as we have been re-purchasing old DVD releases becase transfer techniques and DVD content (extras,commentaries...) have progressed through the years, I have no doubt that HD early adopters will find themselves gradually re-purchasing "those old cruddy first HD releases"
Any Thoughts?

And so as to keep this post truly on topic whats the fate of the few movies that have already been "released" in HD on broadcast. Will they be the first to see HD-DVD releases or were they more anomalies?
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women"

#2 of 4 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,314 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 02:26 AM

I'll just reaffirm my concerns as posted before....

I think the initial HD releases will be bare-boned
to the extent that there will be better editions made
available in the years to come.

It's the same danger for those of us who were
amongst the first purchasers of DVD back in early
1997. We got crummy transfers and snapper
cases -- though I'm expecting the HD transfers to
be quite good.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 4 Elijah

Elijah

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 02:32 AM

Quote:
though I'm expecting the HD transfers to be quite good
Well I the nature of HD is going to assure that (expecially for films made recently). It is going to [pun]bring into sharper focus[/pun] transfer and restoration quality, as just as HD can highlight awesome amounts of picture detail, it will also do the same to highlight artifact and grainyness.

Time will tell, I have the feeling however that HD will get off to a better start in the quality department than SD did juts because of the nature of the format.

*crosses fingers*
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women"

#4 of 4 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted January 11 2006 - 05:40 AM

Ron,
Thanks for the new forum.
Happy '06!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

Forum Nav Content I Follow