Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about... Batman Begins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 of 88 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,320 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 01:10 PM

My son saw this film before I did. And if I recall his comments, he perceivd it to be a "masterpiece" of modern filmmaking, and the finest comic book based film ever made.

I agree.

The DVD is also wonderfully transferred with superb image and audio.

I must remind readers that we are discussing the equivalent of a paperback book, when we're talking DVDs. I'm aware of no home audio system with the necessary power to drive the audio of this film to theatrical standards.

I was able to screen Batman Begins at the Academy in LA, and beyond being beautifully produced, it was, without a doubt, the loudest theatrical experience that I've ever encountered -- in a positive way.

Batman Begins is one of the finest films of 2005, released herein for home viewing in as perfect a vessel as possible. I can't wait for this one to arrive in high definition, but in the meantime, I may have to revamp my audio system.

Concurrent with its release, are new versions of the other four films in the series, now in two disc sets, also available in the Batman Anthology for a street price of around $55. The previous films were fun.

Batman Begins falls into a totally different category, relating more to the true art of filmmaking.

I cannot recommend a film of this type any higher.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 88 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 01:39 PM

You know, when this was released into theaters I wasn't really interested in it, it didn't ring any bells for me for some reason...however with all of the praise I have been reading about it and now even RAH says it was one of the finest films of 2005? Heck that and the fact that I wasn't even aware that it was directed by Christopher Nolan! Well I gotta give this a look.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#3 of 88 Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 02:02 PM

Well, yeah. The movie should've been named Bruce Wayne though because it's the early scenes which really work emotionally. So much in fact that when the Batman enters the story it's kind of disappointing.

#4 of 88 DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 02:38 PM

As a big Marvel fan, I'm a bit jealous on the great production the Warner/DC filmmakers did for Batman. DC sure hit a home run with this one and I can't wait for the sequels.

#5 of 88 Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
Batman Begins falls into a totally different category, relating more to the true art of filmmaking.

I couldn't agree more. Posted Image Posted Image

I was expecting a good movie. I was blown away by a great film. My review here!
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#6 of 88 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
My son saw this film before I did. And if I recall his comments, he perceivd it to be a "masterpiece" of modern filmmaking, and the finest comic book based film ever made.

An interesting cognation: British studios and superhero films. Posted Image

#7 of 88 Peter Raber

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 01:22 AM

October 18th can't come fast enough for me. My only complaint is that there is no commentary track for this release.

#8 of 88 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,320 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 01:28 AM

There is a great deal of documentary material on disc two, which in many cases would have been redundant to a commentary.

There are also enough tracks on disc one, that additional might have cut into quality.

This is always a balancing act.

Batman Begins has plenty of extras.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 88 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:18 AM

As if I needed an affirmation that I need to pick this up! Posted Image

Batman Begins is the only comic book movie I can call a masterpiece. Halfway through October, it is still the best film of the year.

I can't wait till Tuesday to watch this thanks to my roomate who works at Blockbuster.

#10 of 88 DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of no home audio system with the necessary power to drive the audio of this film to theatrical standards.
I'm curious as to why you would think this to be the case? Take, for example, WideScreen Review's Reference System put together by Gary Reber. I would actually think the audio in that room would be significantly better than a theater.

In addition, there are other people running multi-thousand dollar home theaters with high-end processors from Theta, Meridian, etc feeding immensely powerful amps driving world class speakers from companies like Revel, Wilson, JM Lab, etc.

Regards,
Dan

#11 of 88 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:11 AM

Yes but not many folks...hell, NO folks have seven+ foot horns and subs at home that a good theater has behind it's screen.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#12 of 88 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,846 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 04:18 AM

I was blown away by Batman Begins as well.

It puts every single Batman film before it
to shame.

Funny as it may seem, this was one of the best
films of 2005.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 88 Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 04:20 AM

I agree the number of people that have the equipment to completely recreate the movie soundtrack is probably very low, if any, but I'm somewhat of the opinion that the theatrical mix was somewhat over the top - I mean, it was literally so loud that I was in pain a few times.

#14 of 88 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:36 AM

I very rarely see a movie twice in the theatres, but I did for this film. The DVD release could not come fast enough. One of the years best films.

#15 of 88 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,320 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you would think this to be the case? Take, for example, WideScreen Review's Reference System put together by Gary Reber. I would actually think the audio in that room would be significantly better than a theater.

In addition, there are other people running multi-thousand dollar home theaters with high-end processors from Theta, Meridian, etc feeding immensely powerful amps driving world class speakers from companies like Revel, Wilson, JM Lab, etc.

Home Theater Audio Pipsqueaks...

They lack the sheer volume of air necessary to reproduce these tracks.

RAH

#16 of 88 Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:39 AM

Quote:
I'm somewhat of the opinion that the theatrical mix was somewhat over the top...
I'm with you. Maybe it was just a mistake on the part of the underpaid, untrained non-union projectionist who no doubt set up the film at my local multiplex, but I found the soundtrack painfully loud. It's not a good sign when I have to sit through the fight scenes with my fingers in my ears...
"Self-discipline isn't everything. Look at Pol Pot."
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

#17 of 88 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,320 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:40 AM

AFAIK, that was the design of the mix.

#18 of 88 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
I found the soundtrack painfully loud

When I saw this in the theater, I have to agree 100% with that comment. My ears were bleeding at the end. But it was an excellent soundtrack as far as I'm concerned and it probably sounds awesome on DVD. I'll have to pick up this disc to hear it for myself.

Dan...

Quote:
In addition, there are other people running multi-thousand dollar home theaters with high-end processors... feeding immensely powerful amps driving world class speakers from companies like Revel, Wilson, JM Lab, etc.

The more money you spend on a home theater system does NOT guarantee better sound. In fact, because each manufacturer has a different design approach we unfortunately have to resort to hearing what equipment sounds good with others. If you select a bad combination, watch out! Generally, the more money one spends, the more they have to be careful about this - especially when it comes to speakers. Have you ever heard the largest Wilson speakers? Talk about an earbleed...they clearly are not even designed with flat frequency response in mind.

Kevin...

Quote:
NO folks have seven+ foot horns and subs at home that a good theater has behind it's screen.

Lets pray that it never comes to that...

Mike
Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#19 of 88 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 06:01 AM

I love it when I hear people say that home audio can be just as powerful as a theater set-up.....so they are comparing a, let's say, 10 inch woofer to a 5 FOOT array woofer (and that's very conservative)...riiiight.Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But hey, if you have the space to move the air & safely distance yourself from these ear damaging monsters...go for it!

Now having said that I do think that Home speakers can attain a level of subtilty & detail that might be lost in a large area...but not the shear power.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#20 of 88 DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 06:50 AM

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Many home theaters can reach movie theater SPLs while maintaining itelligibility and 15-20khz frequency reponse which you can feel and hear. And I'm not just talking about multi-thousand dollar home installations (but I ain't talking about your "Best Buy" specials either).

Either that, or the theaters by me just plain stink. My experience is that I have trouble understanding dialogue in movie theaters. Sometimes the soundtrack seems overblown and drowns out sound effects and dialogue. At home, I get perfect dialogue, extended frequency reponse, tight bass, musicality to the score...all at a "reference level SPL" if need be.

Regards,
Dan

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow