Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about... Batman Begins

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 of 88 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,264 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 01:10 PM

My son saw this film before I did. And if I recall his comments, he perceivd it to be a "masterpiece" of modern filmmaking, and the finest comic book based film ever made. I agree. The DVD is also wonderfully transferred with superb image and audio. I must remind readers that we are discussing the equivalent of a paperback book, when we're talking DVDs. I'm aware of no home audio system with the necessary power to drive the audio of this film to theatrical standards. I was able to screen Batman Begins at the Academy in LA, and beyond being beautifully produced, it was, without a doubt, the loudest theatrical experience that I've ever encountered -- in a positive way. Batman Begins is one of the finest films of 2005, released herein for home viewing in as perfect a vessel as possible. I can't wait for this one to arrive in high definition, but in the meantime, I may have to revamp my audio system. Concurrent with its release, are new versions of the other four films in the series, now in two disc sets, also available in the Batman Anthology for a street price of around $55. The previous films were fun. Batman Begins falls into a totally different category, relating more to the true art of filmmaking. I cannot recommend a film of this type any higher. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 88 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 01:39 PM

You know, when this was released into theaters I wasn't really interested in it, it didn't ring any bells for me for some reason...however with all of the praise I have been reading about it and now even RAH says it was one of the finest films of 2005? Heck that and the fact that I wasn't even aware that it was directed by Christopher Nolan! Well I gotta give this a look.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#3 of 88 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 02:02 PM

Well, yeah. The movie should've been named Bruce Wayne though because it's the early scenes which really work emotionally. So much in fact that when the Batman enters the story it's kind of disappointing.

#4 of 88 OFFLINE   DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 02:38 PM

As a big Marvel fan, I'm a bit jealous on the great production the Warner/DC filmmakers did for Batman. DC sure hit a home run with this one and I can't wait for the sequels.

#5 of 88 OFFLINE   Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 02:54 PM

I couldn't agree more. Posted Image Posted Image

I was expecting a good movie. I was blown away by a great film. My review here!
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#6 of 88 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 12:28 AM

An interesting cognation: British studios and superhero films. Posted Image

#7 of 88 OFFLINE   Peter Raber

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 01:22 AM

October 18th can't come fast enough for me. My only complaint is that there is no commentary track for this release.

#8 of 88 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,264 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 01:28 AM

There is a great deal of documentary material on disc two, which in many cases would have been redundant to a commentary. There are also enough tracks on disc one, that additional might have cut into quality. This is always a balancing act. Batman Begins has plenty of extras. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 88 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:18 AM

As if I needed an affirmation that I need to pick this up! Posted Image

Batman Begins is the only comic book movie I can call a masterpiece. Halfway through October, it is still the best film of the year.

I can't wait till Tuesday to watch this thanks to my roomate who works at Blockbuster.

#10 of 88 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:55 AM

I'm curious as to why you would think this to be the case? Take, for example, WideScreen Review's Reference System put together by Gary Reber. I would actually think the audio in that room would be significantly better than a theater. In addition, there are other people running multi-thousand dollar home theaters with high-end processors from Theta, Meridian, etc feeding immensely powerful amps driving world class speakers from companies like Revel, Wilson, JM Lab, etc. Regards, Dan

#11 of 88 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:11 AM

Yes but not many folks...hell, NO folks have seven+ foot horns and subs at home that a good theater has behind it's screen.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#12 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,320 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 04:18 AM

I was blown away by Batman Begins as well.

It puts every single Batman film before it
to shame.

Funny as it may seem, this was one of the best
films of 2005.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 88 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 04:20 AM

I agree the number of people that have the equipment to completely recreate the movie soundtrack is probably very low, if any, but I'm somewhat of the opinion that the theatrical mix was somewhat over the top - I mean, it was literally so loud that I was in pain a few times.

#14 of 88 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:36 AM

I very rarely see a movie twice in the theatres, but I did for this film. The DVD release could not come fast enough. One of the years best films.

#15 of 88 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,264 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:38 AM

Home Theater Audio Pipsqueaks... They lack the sheer volume of air necessary to reproduce these tracks. RAH

#16 of 88 OFFLINE   Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:39 AM

I'm with you. Maybe it was just a mistake on the part of the underpaid, untrained non-union projectionist who no doubt set up the film at my local multiplex, but I found the soundtrack painfully loud. It's not a good sign when I have to sit through the fight scenes with my fingers in my ears...
"Self-discipline isn't everything. Look at Pol Pot."
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

#17 of 88 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,264 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:40 AM

AFAIK, that was the design of the mix.

#18 of 88 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:56 AM

Lets pray that it never comes to that... Mike

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#19 of 88 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 06:01 AM

I love it when I hear people say that home audio can be just as powerful as a theater set-up.....so they are comparing a, let's say, 10 inch woofer to a 5 FOOT array woofer (and that's very conservative)...riiiight.Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But hey, if you have the space to move the air & safely distance yourself from these ear damaging monsters...go for it!

Now having said that I do think that Home speakers can attain a level of subtilty & detail that might be lost in a large area...but not the shear power.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#20 of 88 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 06:50 AM

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Many home theaters can reach movie theater SPLs while maintaining itelligibility and 15-20khz frequency reponse which you can feel and hear. And I'm not just talking about multi-thousand dollar home installations (but I ain't talking about your "Best Buy" specials either). Either that, or the theaters by me just plain stink. My experience is that I have trouble understanding dialogue in movie theaters. Sometimes the soundtrack seems overblown and drowns out sound effects and dialogue. At home, I get perfect dialogue, extended frequency reponse, tight bass, musicality to the score...all at a "reference level SPL" if need be. Regards, Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users