What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ X-Man: Days of Future Past -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I generally don't confuse the Marvel and DC universes, and am able to follow most multi-film storylines, there's something about this one that was preventing me from doing so. Almost as if storylines had been changed along the way.

Regardless, Days of Future Past is a generally fun ride.

It's available in a myriad of home video flavors -- DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, Digital and now, 4k UHD. And then there's the "Rogue's Cut." Was Rogue one of the editors?

Unlike Batman v Superman, the 4k variant of Days, was released months after the first batch, so I have no problem with them being non-inclusive.

I've been reading about S v B, and it seems that although it's coming out in 4k, that it may also be non-inclusive.

Which by that, I mean, if someone is a fan of 3D, and has 4k (which can't run 3D), one cannot make a single purchase which is all-inclusive, ie. 4k, 3D, Blu-ray, along with Digital download.

While this is obviously subject to change, as we don't yet even have a release date, we currently have on the boards, the Ultimate, which seems to be the longer cut, along with the theatrical, DVD and Digital HD UV...

Or, the same package, also including 3D, but not 4k.

Day of Future Past, my confusion aside, is a pleasant, and noisy ride, with audio in DTS-HD MA 7.1, testing the limits of your speakers and amps. Audio does its job of surrounding the environment.

Speaking of the audio environment, I've reached out for more information on DTS:X vs Atmos, but in the interim, my ears are telling me that the Atmos is more strategically tuned and pin-pointed to specific speakers with purpose, aka discreet.

HDR on this release raises it above the earlier Blu-ray, and for those early adopters, who also love the series, it's a reason to upgrade.

For those already upgraded, be aware that more 4k releases are on the horizon. Beginning with The Revenant (4k) in a couple of weeks, followed by Joy (2k), The 5th Wave (2k), Point Break (2k), Now You See Me, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Independence Day, and Journey into Space, with Batman v Superman, Deadpool, and Divergent: Allegiant (4k) coming thereafter.

For those who are making the move into the 4k world, be advised, that on smaller screens, you're not going to gain much if you already have a Blu-ray of a title being re-released in 4k, aside from HDR, which can make an interesting difference.

On larger screens, or via projection, my take is that a 2k to 4k up-rez, performed at the studio, as opposed to player level, is superior.

Things are getting interesting in 4k world.

Days of Future Past is a beautiful 4k from Fox. Unfortunately, like some other Fox titles, it's released without its original Atmos audio. Something that hopefully Fox will attach to other future titles, if released in that manner theatrically. The first Atmos film that I experienced was Fox's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and the Atmos on that was astonishing.

Image - 5

Audio - 4.5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And then there's the "Rogue's Cut." Was Rogue one of the editors?

Rogue is one of the characters from Bryan Singer's original "X-Men" series of movies that hadn't appeared onscreen since 2006. There was a subplot to "Days Of Future Past" where Ellen Page's character gets injured, and they need to bring in Rogue (played by Anna Paquin) to continue to help with the time travel. This subplot was removed from the original theatrical and home video releases. "Rogue Cut" is simply a silly marketing name for the extended cut of the movie which restores those scenes to the movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rogue is one of the characters from Bryan Singer's original "X-Men" series of movies that hadn't appeared onscreen since 2006. There was a subplot to "Days Of Future Past" where Ellen Page's character gets injured, and they need to bring in Rogue (played by Anna Paquin) to continue to help with the time travel. This subplot was removed from the original theatrical and home video releases. "Rogue Cut" is simply a silly marketing name for the extended cut of the movie which restores those scenes to the movie.

Appreciated.

That also answers the "where was Anna Paquin" question.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Yet another film intended to be seen in 3D that I would never buy in UHD even though I intend to upgrade to that format regardless as I own a 4K set. The 3D presentation I own on Blu and enjoy watching- as it was intended to be seen. Same for Life of Pi , Mad Max, etc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yet another film intended to be seen in 3D that I would never buy in UHD even though I intend to upgrade to that format regardless as I own a 4K set. The 3D presentation I own on Blu and enjoy watching- as it was intended to be seen. Same for Life of Pi , Mad Max, etc.

I think one could argue that at least 4 movies that come to mind (X-Men, Mad max, Pi, Andreas) were intended to be seen in 2k SDR and 2k 3D but not this. Obviously 4k HDR is a format that does NOT intend to be faithful to the theatrical presentation for most movies, neither in 3D nor in 2D.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I think one could argue that at least 4 movies that come to mind (X-Men, Mad max, Pi, Andreas) were intended to be seen in 2k SDR and 2k 3D but not this. Obviously 4k HDR is a format that does NOT intend to be faithful to the theatrical presentation for most movies, neither in 3D nor in 2D.

AND The Martian, The Peanuts Movie, Pan - all titles intended to be seen in 3D yet released in 4K Ultra HD which is like shooting the format in the foot from the get go. They should be releasing spectacles not made for 3D - The LOTR films of example , The Hateful Eight, any 70mm films, etc- it's really quite simple. And don't tell me the buying public is craving Andreas, Pan, Peanuts etc in 4KUHD- that's laughable.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
AND The Martian, The Peanuts Movie, Pan - all titles intended to be seen in 3D yet released in 4K Ultra HD which is like shooting the format in the foot from the get go. They should be releasing spectacles not made for 3D - The LOTR films of example , The Hateful Eight, any 70mm films, etc- it's really quite simple. And don't tell me the buying public is craving Andreas, Pan, Peanuts etc in 4KUHD- that's laughable.

Need higher disc space for longer films.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

For now as RAH has pointed out films that are significantly longer than 2 hours will have to wait due to cpacity limitations.

The LOTR films are not suited very well for 4k as their special effects can look rather primitive even on Blu-ray, plus the parts shot on film were never scanned in 4k so this would be a major undertaking for Warner.

Obviously the studios count on people buying everything they can get their hand on as first off they have to see which movies deliver the visual goods so the selection is limited.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I decided to pass on this one because it did not include ATMOS or DTS:X. Have the time I buy the 3D version but only watch it once then watch the 2D every other time. So for me I'll just live without 3D, I would rather have 4K HDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks