-

Photo
- - - - -

The West Wing - Season 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
422 replies to this topic

#1 of 423 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 03 2005 - 11:26 AM

I guess I have not been watching too much NBC lately, because I just discovered that the new season of The West Wing started a couple of weeks ago! Is NBC doing anything at all to promote the show in its new Sunday night timeslot?? Since there is no current thread for the program, I guess I am not the only one who did not realize that fresh episodes have begun airing. So, who has been watching and what do you think of the season so far??
Gary

#2 of 423 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, I only noticed yesterday morning that it had started up again! Posted Image Scrambled quickly to view copies...

Have to say, I wasn't overly impressed by the first two. They seemed to me to be season 5 quality, rather than season 6. They also rather stupidly showed us who would be around in three years' time (there goes the suspense for the finale!).

#3 of 423 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 06:20 PM

FYI the November 6th episode of West Wing is scheduled to air live in the Eastern and Central time zones.

#4 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,853 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 11:56 PM

I've been enjoying WW this season so far. I liked Season 6 a lot, and I think the addition of Smits and Alda has given the show a vitality it lacked in season 5. The campaign stuff has been very good, and unlike season 6, even the White House stuff has been good -- the plot line about the leak is indeed ripped from the headlines. (I hope it's Kate, a character I never liked and wouldn't mind seeing leave the show).

#5 of 423 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 03:05 AM

I hope it's Kate, a character I never liked and wouldn't mind seeing leave the show.

For some reason I keep thinking it's going to be Toby.

I'm enjoying the show. I like the additions of Alda and Smits. I just wish Donna would work with Josh again.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#6 of 423 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 05:48 AM

Quote:
...I keep thinking it's going to be Toby.

I think so too given that his brother is an astronaut. Plus, to me, he is the least likable character on the show.

All the signs are pointing to CJ but that could be done just to distract us. Guess we should know next week.

#7 of 423 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 03:19 PM

Well, I got the results of the West Wing survey posted here a few weeks back, and, believe it or not, Toby is one of the most popular characters! In fact he's third, after Josh & Bartlet, and before CJ!!!

Whereas Kate is second from bottom (only Bob Russell is hated more)...

In any case, if it's Toby or CJ, neither are going to jail for any great length of time, as stupidly revealed at the beginning of ep 1.

#8 of 423 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 07:24 PM

Quote:
he is the least likable character on the show.
I think he's kind of written that way. He's always been a bit of a jerk.

#9 of 423 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 02:25 AM

Since NBC is paying the producers of WW about half what they got last year, they are going to have to get rid of some of the old cast members. This season defenitely has a different dynamic by concentrating on the president campaign, rather than on the out-going administration.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#10 of 423 OFFLINE   BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 08:58 AM

I'm enjoying this season a lot so far, but I agree with everyone that the "flash forward" at the beginning of the season was unnecessary and unwanted.

#11 of 423 OFFLINE   Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff

Second Unit

• 379 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 03:19 PM

I thought that opening sequence from the season premiere gave a big hint about who the leak is. And it didn't seem like it was CJ to me.
An upcoming episode has not yet been scheduled. Please check back later.

#12 of 423 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:01 AM

I have always felt like this was the final season anyway, since Bartlett won't be President after this season and I just think the show would be very difficult to sustain without his presence. Plus, as the President goes, so does his administration.

I like the stuff focusing on the campaign this season, however, and agree that Smits and Alda give the show a much-needed boost. I just don't think I would be interested in a West Wing that centered totally around either of them and their all-new staffs.

Also, I think it's a bit of a stretch to believe any prominent member of a presidential cabinet (Nixon notwithstanding) would be going to jail anyway, so the fact that everyone is together for the library dedication in three years doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, since I really doubt the leak was either malicious or intentional, if, indeed, it was a cabinet member who did it.

#13 of 423 OFFLINE   BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 02:26 AM

See, I'm excited about the prospect of a WW with an almost entirely new cast. A Santos win would keep Josh and Leo (to some extent) around, along with a whole bunch of new people. A Vinnick win would allow for the series to compeltely reinvent itself with a GOP administration. It's a win either way, and I'd be interested in watching.

#14 of 423 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
See, I'm excited about the prospect of a WW with an almost entirely new cast. A Santos win would keep Josh and Leo (to some extent) around, along with a whole bunch of new people. A Vinnick win would allow for the series to compeltely reinvent itself with a GOP administration. It's a win either way, and I'd be interested in watching.
Agreed. I'd actually prefer a Vinick win. It'd be nice to see Alda on a weekly series again, and it's fun seeing Patricia Richardson in a dramatic role.

#15 of 423 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 05:28 AM

It's a bit painful for me to watch Leo turned into a glorified go-fer. I know it's kind of like the Cheney thing, but Cheney has a position of power behind the scenes. I can't quite tell if Leo will have a role or is all but a horse put out to pasture.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#16 of 423 OFFLINE   BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
It's a bit painful for me to watch Leo turned into a glorified go-fer. I know it's kind of like the Cheney thing, but Cheney has a position of power behind the scenes. I can't quite tell if Leo will have a role or is all but a horse put out to pasture.

I think part of the problem is that it's so hard for them to get screen time for everyone right now. With two campaigns plus, you know, the West Wing still to keep track of, there's a lot going on.

I think the meeting Leo and Santos has at the end of one of the episodes points to him being in a Cheney-like role eventually.

One thing I'd always wondered about was whether Josh would have ever gone to work for Vinnick if asked. I'd thought that him being the one to say, "The President is here" in the silly fast-forward scene to open the season was kind of a nod to the possibility. The way he reacted to Bruno last week seems to put that kibosh on that, though.

#17 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,853 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 08:34 AM

Quote:
One thing I'd always wondered about was whether Josh would have ever gone to work for Vinnick if asked. I'd thought that him being the one to say, "The President is here" in the silly fast-forward scene to open the season was kind of a nod to the possibility. The way he reacted to Bruno last week seems to put that kibosh on that, though.

I think Josh has been presented as too much of a party loyalist to work for the other side, although stranger things have happened. I think Santos will win, since it is the only way to keep some of the old cast.

#18 of 423 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 01:58 PM

I know we shouldn't read too much into it, but at the end of that "Three Years Later" segment in the opening episode, when the new President steps out of the limo and all you see are the legs, it strikes me that the President tall, and sprightly, i.e. Santos. Leo isn't tall, and Vinick isn't exactly sprightly now and would be less so three years (and lots of presidential stress) later. But as I said this won't be determinative of the issue; wouldn't it be really weird if Santos won, but died (assassination, accident or disease) and Leo became President, just like his old friend Jed was?

The slightly curious part of that segment, though, was Josh running up to the group to say "the President's here", like he was still some sort of aide; assuming a Santos win, as the successful campaign manager surely he'd have an even higher position than his previous Deputy COS job under Bartlet, and wouldn't be the one running up to the former president to inform him of the current president's arrival. Which oddly enough would suggest a Vinick win, Josh doesn't hold a senior governmental position, and was there as part of Bartlet's library-building/opening team, or just as a friend and happened to be the one to carry the news.

Many have panned the "Three Years Later" segment as being unnecessary. I disagree. Yes, it closes off some potential developments, but at least this way we know we won't have a rather depressing season (and maybe show) finale of Bartlet dying in office, or shortly after his term ends, since we know that he'll survive at least another three years. Nice to see CJ and Danny finally get together, although since Charlie was there alone and seems not to have seen Bartlet recently, it suggests he and Zoe never did -- surely Zoe would not have missed the opening of her father's library? (Although there are always ways to explain that away, e.g. difficult pregnancy and she couldn't travel to New Hampshire).

I just watched ep 3. It was strange not to see any of the old team (save Josh) at all through the whole episode, although that's going to be common if this season focuses on the presidential race (I can't remember if there were any such episodes in season 6 when they focused on the primaries).

There are so many parallels to 2004 that in some ways it's almost parody -- "I voted for the bill before I voted against it..." being the most obvious, and egregious example, another being the recitation of that statistic that no Senator has been directly elected president since 1960 -- which also puts the West Wing universe in the strange position of the inconsistency of why there was a 1960 election, yet now there is one in 2006, 46 years later (and one in 1998 and 2002, 38 and 42 years later), rather than in 1996, 2000, 2004 or 2008 (36, 40, 44 and 48 yrs respectively).

#19 of 423 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,853 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 12:04 AM

Quote:
There are so many parallels to 2004 that in some ways it's almost parody

I agree, and I found striking parallels to 2005, this week in particular, with the religious right in the episode strong-arming Vinick for approval of judges.

I thought the back-and-forth from the Santos and Vinick campaigns was great. Looking forward to a great season. Next week, the source of the leak will supposedly be revealed.

#20 of 423 OFFLINE   BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 04:12 AM

As I understood it, the election is supposed to be over in November, so the entire season won't focus on the campaign (which is a good thing).

One reason I previously thought there was a small chance of Josh going to work for Vinnick was the scenes back when Vinnick told him he planned to run. I remember thinking that there was a seed sewn there that might light to Josh eventually hopping over. The scene this week with Bruno absolutely removes that possibility, though.

I was surprised this week to see such a 'negative' Vinnick, as up until now he's been presented as the ideal moderate Republican, which is the only way I think the show could have worked with him winning. Maybe they felt they needed to show some flaws, else there was no plausible way Santos could pull it off.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow