Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Cinderella - 2 disc Platinum Edition - ENTHUSIASTICALLY RECOMMENDED!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 03:08 PM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 82 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,701 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 22 2005 - 03:21 PM

Unlike most Disney movies, I only saw this one once or twice when I was young and I can't really remember it at all. However, thanks to reading this review and the posts in the other thread, I am really looking forward to this release. It went from "I love alot of classic Disney animation, I probably should pick that one up" to "Wow. This sounds like a great disc. I can't wait to grab it."

#3 of 82 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,278 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 03:44 PM

Thanks David,

Definitely, after reading your review, this will be the one to get!Posted Image Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#4 of 82 OFFLINE   Ernesto.Morin

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the review. Look forward to picking this one up to add to the collection.

#5 of 82 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 05:05 PM

The one thing about this movie that I just absolutely cannot stand is that damn "Cinderelli" (however it's spelled) song. Ugh, even now, just thinking about it, it's ringing in the head. *runs screaming from the room beating his head screaming "No, no, stop the mice from singing"*

#6 of 82 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 05:35 PM

Aren't movies GREAT!!!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 82 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,749 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 22 2005 - 06:04 PM

I dunno. Anything less than "Magnificently Recommended" may have to be a rental.

Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 82 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,739 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 10:16 PM

David, Excellent review and fine observations. Thanks for that. This has always been my "most original" Disney film, ever since our family went to see it in the cinema back in 1950 or 1951. It was the first Disney film I saw in the theatre (although I grew up with a little Snow White's Dwarfs coat rack in my sleeping room). Shortly after that we owned one of those booklets with pictures and the story from the film, I believe it's in one of my book trunks, and I can also still sing the spell by heart. It wasn't exactly like the Grimm's tale we knew (which was more cruel, especially to the bad sisters), but we really liked it. Have only seen part on it since (on TV), until we bought the VHS tape for our children (ha, ha, great excuse). Like you and so many of us, I was really waiting for this one on DVD (and ordered it a few months ago already), but I'm so pleased that the quality is as you described. I'm sure I will have to invite my brothers and sister, once it arrives, for a HT evening! (They're not used to import R1 DVDs like I do, but I'm sure when it hits the shops here, they will buy a copy of Cinderella for themselves.) And thanks Buena Vista and Lowry. Cees

#9 of 82 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 12:53 AM

My two year old is just now getting into the Disney DVDs the wife and I have collected over the years and I am looking forward to spinning this one in our theater room. Thanks for the review!Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#10 of 82 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,131 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 03:05 AM

Looking forward to opening this christmas present in a few months. I'm not surprised at the picture quality, Wednesday I saw a pair of Road Runner cartoons from the second Looney Tunes set on a twenty foot tall screen, from about 30' away I could see some ringing and a distinctly digital 'look' then yesterday on the same set from almost the same position, I saw one of the Goofy cartoons from the Disney treasures set, and my first reaction was 'hooray we got a film print' then I looked closer and realized it was digital, but it was much closer to looking like film than looney tunes, no ringing and an image that preserved what film should look like. People may complain about Disney but nine times out of ten they knock their classic releases out of the park because they operate on such a high level. Posted Image

#11 of 82 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 03:23 AM

The laserdisc presentation of this in the 90's was most impressive, not so much for the look of the film itself, but for its special features. It sounds as if most, if not all of them are duplicated here, but *All* of Disney's dvd presentations have opted out of the "music only" tracks which graced most of their laserdisc versions. Why??? I scratch my head over settop games (which no kid i know has ever gone near, but i actually have attempted), music videos, and such "special" (special in the challenging sense is more like it) as this ESPN thing. (huge heavy sigh...a feature having little or nothing to do with the film has no business being included. that is my opinion and i'm sticking to it). And yet,really doesn't matter what our opinions are, because most of us will surely by this release anyway. Perhaps they know that. My wish is that Disney learn from the way Warner has released some of their classic films (Singin in the Rain and Meet Me in St. Louis come to mind). Or, learn from the way they released the first four "vault Disney" titles.

#12 of 82 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 23 2005 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the review, DaViD! - Steve

#13 of 82 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 04:16 AM

Another great review, David. The Lowery quote bugs me a little:
When I read this quote, my gut response is that if you can't win an argument without exaggerating the other person's position, then you can't win the argument. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#14 of 82 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for the review DaVid. This is my wife's favorite Disney Classic. I'm looking forward to experiencing it anew. You can check out the Mary Blair bit @ Amazon after you pre-order. "Cinderella (Disney Special Platinum Edition) DVD ~ Ilene Woods Exclusive Offer: Order Cinderella (Disney Special Platinum Edition) now and receive immediate access to the following in your Digital Locker: A sneak peek at the DVD bonus feature "The Art of Mary Blair," which examines one of the most influential animators of the '40s and '50s. In this clip, you'll get a glimpse of the insider's perspective on how Ms. Blair shaped the look of Walt's original classic Cinderella."

#15 of 82 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,712 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the GREAT review. I too have owned the laserdisc, numerous vhs versions and now the soon to be released dvd. Glad it's top notch. Posted Image

#16 of 82 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:34 AM

Please be sure to read the whole article...he's not being extreme in the context of the larger discussion...and he's only saying that he doesn't side with those who *are* extreme in their view. In the next paragraph (which I just added to the quote) it goes on to say how in the case of the Indiana Jones Trilogy, Spielberg wanted to see some low-level grain, and so they abided by his wishes to preserve this "film" characteristic. Clearly Lowry isn't saying that all grain is bad and anyone who wants to preserve some aspect of it is silly...he's only criticizing the position of those persons (and they are out there) who view *any* grain removal as inherently bad...without having really taken the time to qualify the source of the grain or the wishes of the creative artist (grain introduced from a 3rd copy dupe should be treated differently than grain in Cameron's Aliens which is there on purpose and exists in the film negative, for instance).

#17 of 82 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:40 AM

P.S. the RKO logo is missing (replaced with the modern Disney logo) but the original musical intro score is fully intact and overlays the new Disney logo leading into the title credits in the same manner...

#18 of 82 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:52 AM

Hi David, My comment had nothing to do with you. I've been bothered by parts of that Lowry article for a long time... I'm sorry to get the review off-topic. Won't happen again. Looking forward to the disc. Again, thanks for the review. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#19 of 82 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 06:01 AM

Oh no problem Reagan, I just wanted to make sure that you weren't misunderstanding anything from the quote that I took the liberty to post on the topic. I'm glad to have some healthy discussion on the matter and have different points-of-view expressed so please don't view my comments as an attempt to silence discussion. In a sense, I think that Lowry Digitial is taking a pretty neutral position...they do clean up. How much clean up they do depends on what their clients want. If things work the way they should, their client's wishes are reflecting the intentions of the creative artists...but it's no more Lowry's job to try to figure that out than yours or mine (though I'm sure they would provide some good advice). In particular, the notion that cleaning a old x-generation print from grain that had been introduced from poor duplication is somehow inherently contrary to the wishes of the director is the myth it seems to me he was trying to dispell in that statement.

#20 of 82 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 07:41 AM

wondeful review DaViD!
i really get a smile out of passages like that. i had low to no interest in this one before reading that review, but your enthusiasm was well conveyed- and contagious. will check this out as soon as i can