Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2005 Fantasy Football advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
192 replies to this topic

#21 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 01 2005 - 12:43 AM

I had my money (re-draft) league draft last night, picking 3rd in a 12 team serpentine draft with performance scoring. Here's what I ended up with:

QB: Plummer, Pennington, Griese
RB: Alexander, AGreen, FTaylor, THenry, Toefield, Shelton
WR: Holt, DBennett, Kennison, Houshmandzadeh, Greg Lewis, Randal El
TE: McMichael
K: Kasay

I'm not that happy with my receiving group after Holt, but hopefully Bennett will work out well. All the QB's I targeted as my starter went fast, so I ended up with Plummer. My starters most weeks will be Plummer, Alexander, Green, Taylor, Holt, Bennett and McMichael.

#22 of 193 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 04:22 AM

I got invited to a league from some friends so I decided to share a team with my bro. We chose 2nd in a 10 team league. I'm pretty happy with who we ended up with.

Manning, Peyton QB IND
Manning, Eli QB TQB NYG Uh, oh, got both Mannings. Please don't get hurt Peyton. Posted Image
McAllister, Deuce RB NO Just like Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy, I just had to "drop the deuce."Posted Image
Westbrook, Brian RB PHI
Brown, Ronnie RB MIA I was initially against this pick since I thought Miami might split his time with Ricky to shop him around and stuff. But Ricky's not playing the first 4 games and this guy is a stud so...
Jacobs, Brandon RB NYG Can you tell my bro is a Giants fan? Well, we felt our first 3 RBs were solid so we can afford to pick up an "upside potential" guy.
Johnson, Andre WR HOU
Ward, Hines WR PIT TEN
Kennison, Eddie WR KC
Smith, Steve WR CAR NO
Pollard, Marcus TE DET This was a complete mistake. We were drafting online via CBSSportsline and it "auto picked" this one on us. I don't think it hurt us in the long run.
Wiggins, Jermaine TE MIN
Vanderjagt, Mike K IND Indy better do a lot of scoring again this year. Its gonna be the key to my team. That's a scary thought. Posted Image
Kaeding, Nate K SD DAL
Bills, DST DST BUF HOU
Vikings, DST DST MIN

Our drafting philosophy was to pick the best player available keeping in mind bye weeks and avoiding loading up on players from one team.

I usually have only a passing interest in the season, saving my viewing time for the playoffs. Now I'm ordering NFL league pass on my Direct TV and keeping my Sundays free. My girlfriend already hates that I schedule my time with her around the NBA season. At least then she only had to worry about NFL and MLB playoffs. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a lot of flowers this season.:b
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#23 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 01 2005 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Our drafting philosophy was to pick the best player available keeping in mind bye weeks and avoiding loading up on players from one team.

I went with a new strategy this year -- I complete ignored bye weeks until I had my core starters drafted. In past years I've passed on a better player because I was looking at bye weeks. This year, I kept track of bye weeks after I drafted a player, but did not look at a player's bye week while considering him for selection. Once I had my core group selected, though, I paid attention to byes for my depth.

The strategy worked out well. I have no real bye issues.

#24 of 193 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 05:43 AM

Had my 'scoring only' money league draft last night and I'm not too pleased. You ever have one of those drafts that left you scratching your head? I hate it when every player you target gets nabbed right before your pick. Anyway, I drafted 3rd in a 12 team league and this is my train wreck of a draft.
P. Holmes RB
B. Westbrook RB
J. Walker WR
R. Williams WR
T. Brady QB
T. Heap TE
Buffalo DEF
I. Bruce WR
K. Barlow RB SF
D. Mason WR BAL
S. Janikowski K
C. Taylor RB BAL
M. Pollard TE DET
D. Bledsoe QB
Cincinnati DEF
K. Brown K
I'm thinking of ditching Mason and getting Curtis from STL, but I'm a little triggershy. Anyone holding out any hope of Mason having a good year?

#25 of 193 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 07:27 AM

Posted Image Hunter, I'll be relying heavily on The Sports Guys fantasy suggestions since I've done zero prep work.

I'm basing my strategy on drafting plenty of guys with "Tremendous Upside Potential" Posted Image
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#26 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 02 2005 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of ditching Mason and getting Curtis from STL, but I'm a little triggershy. Anyone holding out any hope of Mason having a good year?

Mason's the better player and the #1 receiver for Baltimore. I wouldn't dump him for the #3 receiver on another team, even though Kyle Boller is throwing to him. If you want Curtis, can you dump your 2nd TE? Pollard's not worth a bucket of warm spit playing for the Lions.

#27 of 193 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 08:39 AM

can you dump your 2nd TE?

Unfortunately, we are required to keep 2 TE's.

#28 of 193 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 09:36 AM

I'm basing my strategy on drafting plenty of guys with "Tremendous Upside Potential" Posted Image
Let me see if I can find a hole in that strategy....Nope, nothing wrong with that.Posted Image
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#29 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 02 2005 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, we are required to keep 2 TE's.

Then I would hang onto Mason. He should be more consistent week-to-week than Curtis.

#30 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2005 - 03:26 AM

Well, I hope this isn't an indication of things to come, but I've just lost a bench player for the season -- Carolina rookie RB Eric Shelton was placed on IR with a broken foot. Losing him is not a big deal to my team, but I lost 12 players to injury last season. I haven't even made it to Week 1 this year and have already lost a player. Posted Image

#31 of 193 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 04:42 AM

Drafted my work draft yesterday. Drafted 7 out of 10.

My team is interesting to say the least. I took some chances and hope I will be rewarded.

P. Holmes
T. Owens
T. Gonzales
C. Martin
J. Plummer
M. Vanderjagt
Steelers D.
I. Bruce
JJ Arrington
B. Roethlesberger
E. Moulds
L. Johnson(back for Priest).

#32 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2005 - 05:49 AM

Shane, you got Priest at the 7th spot?! I'm amazed he fell that far.

#33 of 193 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 07:24 AM

Sure did, Qb's were going quick much like the previous draft. I need to start 1 Qb, 2 Rb's, 2 WR's and a WR/TE flex pick along with a kicker and a D. I think I should be ok Posted Image

#34 of 193 OFFLINE   Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 03:04 PM

I'm in three leagues with 12 teams in each league. Here's how my drafts went.

League 1: (drafted 7 of 12)
QB: Michael Vick, Jake Delhomme
RB: Brian Westbrook, Kevin Jones, JJ Arrington, Ronnie Brown, Larry Johnson
WR: Chad Johnson, Darrell Jackson, Jimmy Smith, Donte' Stallworth, Rod Gardner
TE: Todd Heap
D: Pittsburgh, Carolina
K: John Kasay

We only start two wide receivers in this league, and it is a standard performance scoring league.

League 2: (drafted 8 of 12)
QB: Kerry Collins, Byron Leftwich
RB: Willis McGahee, Brian Westbrook, Mike Anderson, Larry Johnson
WR: Marvin Harrison, Nate Burleson, Plaxico Burress, Donte' Stallworth, Kevin Curtis, Reggie Williams
TE: LJ Smith, Marcus Pollard
D: Indianapolis
K: John Kasay

We start two wide receivers in this league, and it is a standard performance scoring league except for 6 pt passing touchdowns.

League 3: (drafted 9 of 12)
QB: Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme
RB: Jamal Lewis, Kevin Jones, TJ Duckett, Travis Henry, Mewelde Moore
WR: Nate Burleson, Darrell Jackson, Brandon Stokley, Antwaan Randle El, Rod Gardner, Kevin Curtis
TE: Jason Witten
D: Pittsburgh
K: Neil Rackers

This league starts 1 RB, 2 WR, and two flex spots. It also awards points per reception.

I have a strong feeling that I'm not going to truly enjoy the season unless Priest Holmes gets injured. Posted Image

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#35 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2005 - 12:13 AM

The games start tonight, so here's my first weekly starting quandry. Right now, my starting lineup is:

QB: Plummer at Miami
RB: Alexander at Jax, AGreen at Detroit, FTaylor vs. Sea
WR: Holt at SF, Houshmandzdeh at Cleve
TE: McMichael vs. Denv

My other QB choices are Pennington at KC or Griese at Minn. I also have other WR/Flex choices of DBennett at Pitt, Kennison vs. NYJ or GLewis at Atlanta.

Normally, I would start Bennett, but he's playing a tough Steelers defense while Houshman is playing the Brownies. As for QB, I'm going to have this same difficult decision every week. Posted Image

#36 of 193 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 04:35 AM

QB: Plummer at Miami...
My other QB choices are Pennington at KC or Griese at Minn.
Posted Image Yikes!!!
Man, it's gonna be like rolling the dice every week. I'm guessing every week that one of the three will have outstanding numbers and the other two will suck big time. Now you gotta figure out whose turn it is this week.Posted Image

I would guess that you want the QB that is going against the weaker defense until you see some trends as the season goes. This week it would be the Chiefs D.

Brad,
Good job on having variety in your picks even though you had almsost the same position every time. I only wonder how are you going to figure out for who to root?
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!

#37 of 193 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2005 - 05:42 AM

Quote:
Man, it's gonna be like rolling the dice every week.

I know. I definitely wasn't happy with my QB outcome in the draft. I watched 6 QBs go off the board between my 5th and 6th round picks, and all the QBs I was targeting (Brady, Hassleback, Bulgar, Collins, Favre) were gone. My choices were Plummer, Palmer and Pennington. I took Plummer, and then immediately took Pennington on the wrap around (I picked 3rd/10th in a serpentine draft). I'm not sold on Palmer yet.

The past two seasons, I was able to get a quality starting QB in Round 7. This year I did worse a round earlier. Posted Image

#38 of 193 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 02:18 PM

Who to start for my 2nd WR? It is a scoring only league.
I. Bruce @ SF
R. Williams vs GB

I've got Williams in right now, but I'm tempted to take Bruce vs. the horrible 49'ers.

#39 of 193 OFFLINE   Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 02:23 PM

I have no idea what to make of W.Parker

I'm going back and forth between him and A.Green

Both have good matchups...I just think Davenport might be getting some redzone carries and i'm not sure who would spell Parker.

I'm pretty sure whoever I pick will be the wrong choice, so if anyone has any input i'd appreciate it.

#40 of 193 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
I. Bruce @ SF
R. Williams vs GB
I. Bruce w/o a doubt.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow