Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are Component Cables OK with 1080i ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 05:05 AM

Hi Knowledgeable Ones; I currently have an older DVD player and TV that have no HDMI inputs/outputs. Just component ins/outs, which look fine for a progressive DVD signal. I'm also getting ready to drywall my HT ceiling and have installed as many wires as I can to future-proof my HT setup. The large duct I've installed in my HT ceiling will help for future cabling needs, too. I'd like to know if the standard 3 component cables are OK for carrying Hi-def (1080i, 720p) signals, or do you need a specific HDMI cable? I'd need one about 25 feet long, and they seem to be scarce and expensive, unlike the component cables which are built in big lengths. These cables, by the way, are to connect my video source at the component rack to my front projector when I eventually get one. And, is there any big advantage to the HDMI system, as opposed to the component system? (I guess if they're the ONLY cable to carry Hi-def, that's an obvious answer, but I'm not sure on that yet). Thanks, Tom, Ottawa.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 05:12 AM

Component will carry a 1080i signal, but it will be analog, not digital, so if you're worried about the Dig to Analog and then back to Dig at your projector... then go with HDMI. Also Component doesnt have HDCP which needs at least DVI or HDCP... so that leaves out up-conversion DVD players, and most likely the future HD tuners and HD-DVD/BlueRay discs. According to things I've read here, if you use component these future components will downconvert to 480p.
Roman Sohor, CTS

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 06:08 AM

Hi Roman and others; Thanks for the help. I'll expand this thread by asking, do HDMI cables exist in 25 to 30 foot lengths? My understanding was that they are made in short lengths only. Also, does this type of cable have heavy signal loss if you can get them in 25+ foot lengths? Is there a reason other than cost, that they seem to be available only in short runs? Thanks, Tom.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 07:29 AM

From the Blue Jeans Cables home page "Blue Jeans Cable now carries DVI cables, HDMI cables, and HDMI/DVI cables. After a lengthy search for cables capable of reliably carrying parallel digital video signals without information loss over distance, we now offer both single and dual link DVI-D cables, various DVI analog connection cables, HDMI cables, and HDMI/DVI adapter cables, all from AV Link, Inc. These DVI and HDMI cables are available in lengths up to 50 feet."
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 12:44 PM

There are issues however with longer cables degrading the signal. But one of them: DVI or HDMI is better than the other. Can't remember which one! Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 03:09 PM

Thats the best thing you could do. Posted Image

If you want, run a component cable from one of the custom sites, and a fish-roap to pull something else later.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 01:26 AM

There is a post in the Display Devices that speaks about running lengthy Component Cables. The suggestion I made was in lengthy runs you can use Shielded RF Coax Cable for your component video. It was further suggested by another poster that using RG-6 Coax Cable is best. RG-6 coax cable is used for Satellite and digital cable as oppose to RG-59 that's used for analog reception. This might be a cheap yet very effective solution to your problem. RG-6 Cable is used for HD broadcast as well via satellite and digital cable, there's no reason why it would not pass the best picture here. I spent 25.00 for Acoustic Research Component cables that I will be replacing this weekend with the RG-6 Shielded Cable with RF to RCA connectors and color tape.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 03:30 AM

Hi Again I should point out, that I have already run 28 feet of Monster3 component cables from the receiver area to where my front projector will be. I got them brand new from Ebay for a good price. I still am not sure if I can get HDMI or other future cables in 35-30 foot lengths, with little signal loss. Assuming I can, I will slide these future cables through my plastic duct when they become needed. So the component cables are taken care of, but I guess that these will not pass all of the signals that I want, huh? Not enough bandwidth. At least according to those who have responded to my original post (thanks !). Ok, I'm getting the picture, and the replies have helped. Cheers everyone, Tom.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Lee-c

Lee-c

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 05:57 AM

Tom Kay: As far as I know, component cables can carry a high definition picture no problem. They are trying to foist these HDMI cables on us because they want the video signal to be encrypted, because they want it to be harder to copy from the original movie HD-DVD's. Whereas component cables carry a pure analog signal straight to the t.v. for viewing. I'd rather just stick with component cables. But we may have to use these HDMI cables to get the HD picture from the HD-DVD players.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 12:14 PM

Also, I am not sure that in the future, cable boxes and satellite boxes that output HD will even support HD over component. Again, because of the studios fears. HDMI (or DVI) might be the *only* choice. Depending on how you're going to get your HD... Also, I think by definition, all component video cables are 75 ohm and shielded coax cable. Some are RG-59 some are RG-6. But all are shielded coax.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 02:33 PM

Jerome: You can buy real HD compatible coax (3 conductor) that was designed for HD analog frequencies. Do a web search for "Have Inc." in New York. This is where I bought my Canare stock.

Sat grade RG6 was designed for digital signals. While it will appear to work, a test pattern can often show loss of focus using the wrong cable.

You can get the good stuff in 3 different form factors: mini-coax, RG59 and RG6.

Instead of the generic hardware store RG6, call around to an electronics shop and see if they carry Belden 1694a, 7710a, or Canare V3-5CFB. This stuff is usually sold in spools to professional studios, but some places will cut you a length for a small cutting fee.

If you want to "do it right", our own Chris White: How to make your own high quality cables is a great site.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.