What's new
World Wide Stereo

Thinking of getting a ps3. (1 Viewer)

Tom June

Agent
Ok, I don't currently have a tv w/ hdmi. Only component inputs that can go 1080i. I'd like to get a ps3 for the gaming, but also for blue-ray. HOpefully I'll get a new set in the next year or so.

Will I be ok? Is there a component cable for the ps3?

Also, I know that the blue-ray firmware needs to be updated to play some of the newer flicks. I want to do that, and have an ethernet connection. But it's not wireless and my router's in the office. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Just get a long cat5 cable?

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

I don't have mine hooked to the internet right now. Last update, I just used a memory stick to move the upgrade from my laptop to the PS3.

AlDav1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Albert Davenport
Hi, I too have a ps3 and it was connected via component cables (yes, Sony makes them...actually they are the same cables for the ps2). A long ethernet cable will do fine. Again, I've had my ps3 (original 60BD version) connected wirelessly with no problems but now I have it connected with a cable.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah. You just need the usual cat5 w/ RJ45 connection. I just use WiFi myself, but it should probably work just the same w/ a hard line (and you wouldn't need to deal w/ a secured WiFi setup either). The update is simple to do though it does take some time to download and install for whatever reason (at least on my setup anyway). And you do need to have access to a display for the PS3 while you're doing it -- can't just hook it up to your router w/out a display -- though it comes w/ a basic breakout cable for composite video output, so you can always just hook it up to a small SD TV (w/ composite video input) in your office or something like that just for the software update, if that's feasible for you.

Never tried installing it via a USB memory stick or the like, so have no idea how easy that is.

_Man_

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

It's definitely not hard. You just download it, then put it in a folder labeled "UPDATE" and put that inside a folder labeled "PS3" (pretty sure you need the capitals). Now, put that on your memory stick, plug it in and just do the update. I actually had to innovate last time and use a CF card from my Digital Rebel in a USB card reader, since my old memory stick wasn't quite big enough, but even that wasn't difficult.

Tom June

Agent
Awesome, thanks for the reply guys. I'm thinking the USB stick will be my best option. About how large are the update files typically?

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

The last one was around 128 MB. It was just a little too large to fit on the old memory stick I had laying around, so I had to use the next size larger.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kurt,

Thanks for the info on the USB approach. Good to know that it's that easy to do. I guess one could probably also use whatever other external USB storage device like a HDD too as long as it's formatted in FAT32, not NTFS.

BTW, interestingly, as I mentioned in my other thread about having trouble w/ my PS3's internal HDD, seems like the system software is loaded into some internal (flash?) memory other than the HDD itself. When I swapped HDDs, the system software update I did a few months back was still there along w/ most of my (non-default) system settings even though I didn't do any backup/restore process.

_Man_

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My son has a PS3 connected by component and it looks great. And as already said, updates via USB are simplicity itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalysdriveway
Recent bookmarks