-

Photo
- - - - -

Hsu discontinues cylinders!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 03:35 AM

No, this is not a belated April Fool's prank. Hsu research has stopped selling their award-winning TN series cylinder subwoofers. It would seem they are poor sellers compared to the powered box series, and have been discontinued in preparation for the "turbo" adapted new flagship, the VTF-3 Mk.2 H.O. (damn thats alot of letters).

Thats a shame because I had wanted to get a pair of 1220's for my 2-cannel system. Posted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 04:44 AM

I wouldn't worry with SVS as an option. Which probably why their cylinders are not selling so well.Posted Image

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   David Bikeman

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 04:45 AM

No closeout specials?

David

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   BradJudy

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 03:24 PM

Quote:
No closeout specials?

It appears that they are already gone.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry with SVS as an option. Which probably why their cylinders are not selling so well.

Posted Image .......Why did I know that when I read the title of this thread someone would come in and say something to this effect......

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 10:29 AM

This is the response I gave at the Hsu forum:

Dear fellow audio enthusiasts,

We are now starting to transition from the end of an old era to the beginning of a new era here at Hsu Research. The TN series, introduced in the mid-1990's, were remarkable products and very effective in achieving Dr. Hsu's goal of maximizing bass per given floorspace. They were celebrated by numerous reviewers and owners alike. One of the things we are most proud of is the fact that they helped push forward the Do-It-Yourself craze. The TN subwoofers were created based on very fundamentally sound ideas in physics, and yet were easy enough for almost anyone to build in their own home, even those with no background in physics or in engineering. The pure simplicity of the TN design, coupled with the very high performance and relatively low cost, ultimately helped lead to the creation of numerous other similar subwoofer designs based upon the same principles we have used at Hsu Research.

As a relatively small company, we have always tried to limit the number of models that we carry at any given time to as much extent as possible. This gives us more opportunity to streamline and perfect existing products. Dr. Hsu always believes in providing more for less, and in providing for the greatest good. That is why you see him focusing his efforts first and foremost on the most affordable subwoofers and speakers. We have some great ideas for the expensive and exclusive "flagship" subwoofer market, but rest assured that our primary focus moving forward will be on providing higher quality and higher output bass for as many budgets as possible.

The TN1220HO had remarkably clean output at and above 16Hz, especially based on it's size, and even performs comparably to some of the "latest and greatest" cylinder designs available today. In my opinion, the new technology that Dr. Hsu has developed will take this performance to a new level. In the past, it was arguable that the TN1220HO/TN1225HO were cleaner low bass performers than the VTF-3/VTF-2. This fact alone helped to justify their existence, regardless of the fact that the box shape is much more popular with consumers. This situation does not hold true when comparing the TN series with the upcoming VTF-HO series. The upcoming VTF-2HO has the potential to be as potent as a TN1220HO in the low bass, and the upcoming VTF-3HO has the potential to be as potent as dual TN1220HO's in the low bass, with added flexibility too.

In a sense, Dr. Hsu is helping to redefine the ported subwoofer market, again. I hope you are all excited about what lies ahead. We are definitely excited.

Sincerely,
Peter Marcks
Hsu Research

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 10:33 AM

One last note for Garrett, it will be the VTF-3HO, not VTF-3 MKII HO. Rolls off the tongue much more nicely. Posted Image
Peter Marcks
Hsu Research

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 10:45 AM

Peter:

Now if you only send a couple of muscleheads with the delivery to help move these big boxes for us old dudes, you'd be talking. That to me was the beauty of the TN Series: even someone muscularly challenged could set one in the right spot without a trip to the chiropracter. Oh well.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 12:35 PM

I am with you all the way, Tony. The combination of low weight, minimal width, flexible placement and hookup options, and high performance is what made the TN series so appealing to us. We are all really sad to see it go.

Sincerely,
Peter Marcks
Hsu Research

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
....Why did I know that when I read the title of this thread someone would come in and say something to this effect.
Given their close resemblence to one another that comment was almost inevidable but not completelly accurate,don't see why you need to be upset about it though.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Given their close resemblence to one another that comment was almost inevidable but not completelly accurate

hmmmmmmm......thanks for agreeing with me Lewis.......
And you are correct....that original statement is not correct as Peter already stated. That is why I said what I did. Not sure why you think I am upset though........I don't own a sub from either company. I'm just a long time reader and poster of this forum who rolls his eyes when the fanboys come out in a thread that does not pertain to "their" brand. Maybe I shouldn't have posted what I did but the original comment was innacurate, predictable, "inevitable" and "not completely accurate".

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 06:07 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't worry with SVS as an option. Which probably why their cylinders are not selling so well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.......Why did I know that when I read the title of this thread someone would come in and say something to this effect......

My comment is accurate as they are both cylinders and since the post is about cylinders why is mention of another cylinder off base? Seems logical to me.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 04 2005 - 04:32 AM

I noticed this last week when I went to look for info on the TN1220 and they were no longer listed. The comment that consumers prefer box subs would seem to be a far more telling. I would imagine if you inquired with SVS, you would find that their cylinder sales have certainly not increased, and likely decreased quite a bit with the box subs available.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
why is mention of another cylinder off base? Seems logical to me.

Mentioning another cylindar is not off base......that is not what you did. You basicaly said that because SVS also does cylinders that is why Hsu is not making cylinders anymore. What you said really has no logic as it does not pertain at all to why they are not making cylinders anymore. Lets turn the table for a second.....Can you imaging the uproar around here if I said.....The reason why SVS is doing box subs now is because Hsu's box subs are selling so much more than the SVS and SVS wants a piece of the pie....... I would be totaly wrong because that....as we know...is not the case SVS is selling box subs now.

Quote:
The comment that consumers prefer box subs would seem to be a far more telling. I would imagine if you inquired with SVS, you would find that their cylinder sales have certainly not increased, and likely decreased quite a bit with the box subs available.

EXACTLY!! Well said John!

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,753 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 08:29 AM

It's that damn WAF!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
t's that damn WAF!

LOL!! You know what though??...... I bet you are correct!! Heck, even I think that all of the cylinder subs are quite ugly (no comments ploease Posted Image ). Since the vast majority of the "average" HT people have their "theaters" in the living room (me included).......I am sure very few of them want a giant water heater in the main living space of the house. This is partialy why I am leaning the Hsu route.....the box subs are high performance and smallish as well as attractive. I really like the VTF 2 with that maple finish.....or the 3 with the rosewood finish. If the PB10 came with a nice "wood" finish I would be ALL OVER THAT!!

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   CurtisSC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 10:10 AM

When I saw the VTF-2HO at CES in the maple finish, I thought the shape was perfect for an end table. Then when Dr. Hsu told me it would have the performance of a TN1220....I felt that it truly was going to be unsung hero. In my room, I'd possibly opt for two of them rather than one VTF-3HO.
curtis
Manhattan Beach, California

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 01:36 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you think I am upset though....
Quote:
I'm just a long time reader and poster of this forum who rolls his eyes when the fanboys come out in a thread that does not pertain to "their" brand.
There you have it, maybe upset isn't the right word,but "rolleyes" can't be all too positive right?
Quote:
My comment is accurate as they are both cylinders and since the post is about cylinders why is mention of another cylinder off base?
It's the "second part" of your comment that can be inaccurate, regarding sales.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 02:51 PM

Quote:
There you have it, maybe upset isn't the right word,but "rolleyes" can't be all too positive right?

Quote:
don't see why you need to be upset about it though.

LOL!!!! Lewis, I am not sure why you keep trying to understand my feelings..... but I guess I am flattered LOL. You know what......I am going to end my part of this useless conversation and keep my posts to just HT, hopefully you can do the same......

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 08:58 PM

I'll do one better, put you back where you belong!

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow