Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kevin EK, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

2013 will see the 35th anniversary of Jaws 2 and the 30th of Jaws 3. I think both are certainly a possibility.
    While I don't care a whit about 3 or 4, J2 has been a favorite of mine since it's original release. I don't debate the superiority of the original which I also love, but I still appreciate many things about the first sequel and really can't wait for it to get a BD release.

2. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

I wonder if maybe SS had some directions about not associating his original with (or attaching to) the sequels.

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    If he did, good job. At least he had a hand in all the Jurassic Park movies and Zemeckis directed all three Back to the Future movies. Sure, putting them in one package is a way to make sure 3 and 4 sell, but that would also REALLY highlight the flaws in both movies.

4. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Never seen Jaws the Revenge. Is it one of those, "so bad it's good" films? Your comment cracked me up and almost makes me want to see it.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm sure some people find it funny but it's no Plan 9. They couldn't even make a movie that was funny-bad (parts of Jaws 3 fall into that category), it's just bad-bad. :)

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    It's not funny-bad. It's headsmacking-bad. There may be a drinking game to create in the movie, too. I'm not entirely sure.

Siskel and Ebert have it right:

7. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I always thought The Revenge was pretty funny bad. From the roaring shark to the ludicrous idea of it chasing Ellen down to the Bahamas to Michael Caine's self-drying shirt, its awfulness almost seems intentional. If it was cheap, I might actually consider getting it on Blu-ray (especially if they seamlessly branched the two different endings).

8. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Joe Alves was on a panel I covered in 2010 on 3D, and had this to say about making Jaws 3-D:

Quote:

9. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

What's the difference in the endings? Is it who survived? (still scratching my head over that one.) Maybe eating a couple of leading characters was the shark's dream sequence?

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Haven't watched it in awhile, but as I recall:
    I believe in one ending, the boat and shark explode when they make contact. In the other, the shark was simply impaled when rammed by the boat, and blood gushes out of its mouth. Jake also survives in one ending.
    Hard to believe, but adjusted for inflation, Jaws: the Revenge made the equivalent of over $100 million worldwide ($52 million actual worldwide). Not bad for 1987, and I'm rather surprised there was not another sequel. It was rumored at the time; I remember reading in a magazine (possibly Fangoria?) where they mentioned Jaws 5 was in development, but it was never filmed.

11. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

The only thing that would make this ending more ridiculous than what's on the DVD now would have been if Quint and Alex swam up to the boat.

12. Ian Murray

Ian Murray Auditioning

I bought thr blu ray today with ultra violet and digital copys.It tells you to go to www.UltraVioletUniversal.com/Jaws to download the Ultra and Digital copies but this web address taked you to walmart,any help here ?
    cheers
    Ian

13. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    The insert on mine says to go to www.UniversalDigitalCopy.com/JawsBluRay . Using that link gets you to the Ultraviolet and Digital Copy page. At least that worked for me...

14. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    i just redeemed the code directly in itunes and BOTH the HD and SD versions downloaded,

15. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    That's been happening more and more. I believe CABIN IN THE WOODS was the same way. On the iTunes side, at least.

16. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    And The Hunger Games too.

17. Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper Stunt Coordinator

Spencer Draper
    Odd that the mixing would be slightly better for the climactic line on the earlier discs. My first experience with the film as a child must have come from this master (VHS or something) because I did think the new DVD sounded different somehow at that particular moment. I just found a bargain bin copy of the 1991 version and tried a few spots to see what the "video version" disclaimer meant.
    This is the one I noticed, though I couldn't exactly remember what the track was supposed to be. Is this the only change made to this edition that anyone is aware of?

18. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    I watched this disc again last night and I have to say that the film and the transfer are damn near perfect.

19. Venomn

Venomn Agent

Christopher Krug
    I bought this one myself,fantastic release.