What's new

Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Well, the UK edition of the Blu-ray landed on my doormat with a thud this morning and I've spent a decent part of the day acquainting (acquinting?) myself with an old friend. The transfer is, as promised, stellar. I cannot fault it at all. As with many HD transfers I've seen, I've spotted things I'd never seen before like the cracker Quint is munching at the town meeting is definitely a Jacobs' Cream Cracker (although I have no idea if they're available in the US). The audio is a huge improvement on the 5.1 mix for the DVD, my wish for a proper KAPOW!! fulfilled and if I'm really feeling purist the original mono provided as well. I am a happy clam.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
No. Standard edition. Can't abide steelbooks. Digibooks are a different matter but I just don't buy into the whole steelbook thing. Sorry.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
How is the 40 page booklet? I got the regular BR but I'm gettin the urge to go and pay $50 + for the digibook on ebay. Can someone please tell me I'm nuts and that it isn't worth it? I'm keeping the booklet from the previous dvd release. Is it any better than that?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Bob_S. said:
How is the 40 page booklet? I got the regular BR but I'm gettin the urge to go and pay $50 + for the digibook on ebay. Can someone please tell me I'm nuts and that it isn't worth it? I'm keeping the booklet from the previous dvd release. Is it any better than that?
You aren't in the States?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Jaws-Collector's-Series-(Best-Buy-Exclusive)---Blu-ray-Disc/5689983.p?skuId=5689983&productCategoryId=cat02015&id=2481267

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
yeah but it's not available from their online store. The only stores that have it are out of state and chances are they will be sold out before i get a chance to get there. I'm in Jersey and there are 2 stores in Delaware that claim to have it in stock.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Bob those two stores in Wilmington Have in store pickup so if you did that they will hold it for 8 days.
If you are in northern jersey it probably isn't worth it to drive all the way down there.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I wasn't aware that they can hold it for 8 days. I'm in s. jersey. I'll have to think about it. Thanks.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
The booklet refers to Quint as "Sam Quint," which isn't actually his name. The only place he's ever been referred to as "Sam Quint" was in a fan fiction sequel script from a long time ago.
That's all you need to know :)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
MattAlbie60 said:
The booklet refers to Quint as "Sam Quint," which isn't actually his name. The only place he's ever been referred to as "Sam Quint" was in a fan fiction sequel script from a long time ago.
That's all you need to know :)
I'm pretty sure Quint was identified as Sam Quint in the book.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Nope. In both the book and the movie, the most we ever get is "Mr. Quint," suggesting that it's his last name.
He does LOOK like a Sam, though, so I can see where the confusion lies :)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
MattAlbie60 said:
Nope. In both the book and the movie, the most we ever get is "Mr. Quint," suggesting that it's his last name.
He does LOOK like a Sam, though, so I can see where the confusion lies :)
You're right. I check the book. Actually the book goes so far as to mention that when Brody looked up Quint's phone number in the phone book (remember them?) he noticed that Quint did not even have a first name listed. Matter-of-fact, Peter Benchley's style/form of writing was very much last name only (for the most part). Obviously Brody's wife is called Ellen to differentiate her dialog from Sheriff Brody's ... but pretty much everyone is referred to by their last name.
So, I could not be more wrong.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
rich_d said:
So, I could not be more wrong.
Don't feel bad - Universal got had, too :)
I mean, I guess there's nothing to say that Sam DEFINITELY isn't his first name. It's just that we don't know what it is, and also kudos to that guy who wrote the fan fiction sequel script for getting something into popular culture like this. It's impressive, when you think about it.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Watched it last night and i was very disappointed..............
that it went over to quickly, stunning.:jawdrop:
PS
Can anyone please tell me if Jaws 2 is coming to Blu anytime soon. :confused:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I doubt they will issue Blus of the other Jaws movies at this point, but I could be wrong. Their perfect window to do this was with the first movie - to make a box like the Back to the Future or Jurassic Park movies. And the early list that got leaked showed a 3D Blu-ray of Jaws 3, but that didn't come to pass. I'm happy with the DVD edition of Jaws 2 for the documentary and deleted scenes. The documentary is a nice continuation of the one from the laserdisc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
I doubt they will issue Blus of the other Jaws movies at this point, but I could be wrong.  Their perfect window to do this was with the first movie - to make a box like the Back to the Future or Jurassic Park movies.
I can't say I'm overly optimistic about the other movies making it to Blu-ray but I wouldn't count them out just yet either.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/330#post_3972249
I can't say I'm overly optimistic about the other movies making it to Blu-ray but I wouldn't count them out just yet either.

Me neither. I can see a standalone Jaws 2, since it's a pretty good movie, and then double feature of 3 and 4. If this Jaws release wasn't part of the Universal anniversary celebration, I think the box would have been the way to go. But there's no way Universal wants to associate Jaws with the "lesser" 2, "laughable" 3 and "terrible" 4.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
But there's no way Universal wants to associate Jaws with the "lesser" 2, "laughable" 3 and "terrible" 4.
When it comes to movie series, I usually have a pretty strong opinion on which movie is the best and worst of the series but when it comes to Jaws, the worst somehow always shift between 3 and 4 for me. I do think if Jaws 3 wasn't in 3-D, the movie would have been better because they could have concentrated more on having good looking shots and hiding the fake shark than wasting time worrying about 3-D effects come out of the screen but Jaws The Revenge is just so damn stupid that I can't imagine anything saving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks