What's new

Original ALIEN DVD Has Been Re-Issued! (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I just heard that Walmart has a two pack of ALIEN vs. PREDATOR with the original release of ALIEN in the package! This disc has tons of material not found in the current release. It has a different, possibly better, audio commentary with Ridley Scott. It also has the complete score by Jerry Goldsmith isolated on two audio tracks. The second one has alternate cues (some not actually written for this movie, but used in it anyway). Also on that second track is the production audio, which is fascinating to listen to, especially Lambert's death scene. This is a great disc, and it should never have gone out of print. This is a wonderful "last chance" opportunity to get it again for those that only have "Quadrilogy" or the 2 disc set.

It's really nice to see another Sharpline Arts disc re-issued. Their stuff keeps being re-printed, which is unusual with todays special editions. But with this and the ALIEN and Aliens Laser Disc extras being included in the "Quadrilogy" set and the recent re-issue of The Thing plus the Star Wars Trilogy CDs it's obvious the quality of a great disc keeps it coming back. If there was no value to this disc, they wouldn't re-release it.

Now if there was only a way to get The ALIEN Legacy, the lost documentary that was used to sell the 20th anniversary boxed set, re-issued. It was used by Fox in the UK to promote the "Quadrilogy" but it has never been re-issued here in the states.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I have the original disc and agree about its merits. I did not, however, know about all the material from it that did not carry over to the new disc. Could this Walmart deal have less to do with a "reprinting" and more to do with "overstock"?

Porfirio

Second Unit
I saw that two-pack yesterday when I picked-up Sky Captain, though I can't recall the price. They also have an AVP / Predator: SE two-pack.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Our local Best Buy has the original Alien DVD available separately for $14.99. Some of the copies say "20th Anniversary" on them and some do not. I think I saw the original DVDs for Aliens and Alien 3 also. Not sure about Resurrection.

Probably a promotional thing for AvP, but still kind of odd. Still I agree, it's worth having even if you have the Quad set or the 2-disc Alien. The commentary and isolated score tracks are very worthwhile extras.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
So, is everything from the original release still on this DVD? I have the Quadrilogy set but I recently came into some money (22nd birthday) and I'd be interested in picking this up, especially for the isolated Goldsmith scores.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Shoot. This might actually make me buy AvP... I've been looking for a used copy of that release for at least a year, with no luck. Back to Walmart, I guess...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

You shouldn't have to; the Alien disc seems to have been re-issued separately as well.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

In fact Alien Legacy was used to promote the theatrical release of Alien Directors Cut in UK. You received a free copy of this when you saw it at the cinema. I managed to get hold of a copy. Was not very well advertised as the box office staff had no idea they were supposed to be given out. Eventually the manager found copies for my group in the store room.
As well as the Alien Legacy documentary the DVD had promos for the Quadrilogy and Master and Commander DVDs.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I have the "Alien Legacy Set" along with the "Quad" set. Does the "Legacy" set have this particular "Alien" disc?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It's $15.30 shipped at Overstock.com.

As I'm not a fan of the color timing on the new version, despite the excellent restoration effort, I picked one up to replace the one I handed down to my father.

It does have a lot of collector's value for the bonus features which, along with the original color timing (that Scott and Co. took special care to restore to the ORIGINAL look after it being wrong on previous releases) will likely NEVER be available on HD.

If you want it at it's gritty purist, it's a nice find. Just don't cry too much over compartively poor black levels.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I noticed it over at the local Wal-Mart this morning. It's got a slightly different arrangement of information on the cover, with no mention of it being the "20th Anniversary Edition" (though I have that one already). But all the extras on it are the same as on the previous single-disc release. I wonder if the animated menus and the bonus hidden features from the previous disc have also been ported over. For a single-disc release, this was definitely a first-class effort.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think it is great that Fox is apparently keeping the version formerly known as the "20th Anniversary Edition" alive. This is truly as case where everyone is happy. There is a cheaper alternative to the 2-Disc edition (a concept which I am normally against, because if they want a cheaper alternative, they should just do an eventual price drop) But in this case it is out there for those who want it and even if you own the 2-Disc or the Quadrilogy and are a big fan of the film, this edition is essential for the original commentary, the alternate audio tracks and some pretty cool easter eggs.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Local Walmart had two disc sets that included either Alien or Predator (2-disc edition) along with Alien vs Predator for $ 19.99. All of the copies of the dual packs in the special aisle display seemed to be widescreen. As they were selling the single copy of Alien vs Predator for $ 14.86, the extra disc was a real bargain if anyone needs either Alien or Predator and wants the Alien vs Predator.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Grant,

Apart from deeper black levels in the restored, two-disc edition of ALIEN, what were the other preceptible differences in color timing?

Just one sequence leapt out at me: looks like Scott wanted to pump up the gold/yellow levels in what he's called "the treasure room" Harry Dean Stanton passes through on his way to the landing gear area where his character's killed. Beyond this clear example of "enhancement," colors seemed a little more vivid, but not altered to any significant degree. Is that the way you see it?

Interesting to note that Scott comments on his color coding of Nostromo chambers in his commentary on the original, single disc edition, with special mention of the attempt to play up the gold in that one instance (in set detailing, design). Looks like he decided to emphasize that even more in the color timing in the restored version.

Even if ALIEN has already been mastered for any future HD edition, would it be all that difficult for them to tweak the color timing for the next release (if they chose to do it)? Not that Scott would want to look at this film again any time soon...

--Jack

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
It sure is! I actually get more enjoyment out of this disc than with the 2 disc release. Everything is right there on the one platter and it's not as overwhelming as the 2 disc version. This disc is about as packed as can be, and it's all good solid entertainment. It's always been one of my favortie DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks