What's new

Has "Dodgeball" been edited? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I was checking out the comparisons from the folks over at DVD-Compare.net, and I came across a disturbing bit of info about the R1 (currently the only) release (stars are theirs): I loved this movie in the theaters, and I'll probably still get it, but it sucks if this is true. Can anybody confirm that the lines have been changed?

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see it in the theater, but the second bits of dialogue are what is on the DVD. I remember thinking poopie didn't sound right though. Cock is much funnier. The second line I actually don't mind.

Cory B

Grip
If memory serves me correctly, the edited lines were the lines I heard in the theatre. The cock line is definitely funnier though, but maybe they cut it for the always popular PG-13.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
i guess my post on this issue was deleted based on some of the content, i apologize to the forum.

i will try it a different way. the version i saw had the original lines intact. for whatever reason, when the DVD was released these lines were changed. i suppose one of the other regions will have this unedited in the future.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The version I saw at the theater had the edited lines. It's identical to the version on R1 DVD.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
checking at imdb.com it says there that the UK version has the unedited lines and the US has the ones that are on the DVD.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
We got the unedited lines in the theatre as well. Thought it was one of Rip's funnier lines in the movie. Sounds like cuts to make it PG-13 to me.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
While you can use "fuck" once or twice in a PG-13, you can't use it in a sexual manner. The only PG-13 film I can think of to use the word "fuck" in a sexual manner was My Best Friend's Wedding, and that was due to the appeal made by Julia Roberts to the MPAA.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
So, in other words, the film on the region one DVD is as presented in the theater. Hence, this thread is a moot point because the lines are not edited any differently than the US theatrical showing. I presume Shawn did not hear what he thinks he heard in the theater - unless, that is, he saw it overseas.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Correct.

The US got the Puritanical, sanitized-for-your-protection kiddie version.

The rest of the world gets the grown-up version as intended by the filmmakers.

:angry:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Yah, without the use of "cock" and an extra use of "fuck" we're all down right Puritanical. ;) The movie is still pretty damn vulgar for a PG-13 flick.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I like the "hump" version better. Though I prefer the "cock" version of the lollipop line, so I guess it's a draw. Atleast the editting was done before the theatrical release.

Ben Rockwell

Agent
I didn't see this in the theatres, but I am looking fwd to picking it up on DVD. I was kind of surprised there was no "unrated" release to go along w/ the theatrical cut. From what I understand this movie is ripe with opportunity for an unrated release.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I don't agree that the US theatrical release is the definition of a "definitive" release of a film. Just because it plays theatrically in the U.S. in an altered version, doesn't make it the original vision of the filmmaker.

Eyes Wide Shut is just one of many examples of this.

I'm not interested in this film, but if I were, I would surely pick this one up from Korea or Japan.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Hmm... two words were changed for the US release in order to get a PG-13 cut. Somehow, I think I'll still sleep okay tonight.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hey, I thought Dodgeball was hilarious, but "grown-up" is not a term I would ever apply to this flick. And the idea that 2 additional vulgarities makes something "grown-up" I find ludicrous beyond words.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

What's ludicrous is that those two words had to be censored to make it appropriate for US audiences.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Ben Stiller should've had Julia Roberts appeal to the MPAA to allow use of the word cock in Dodgeball because poopie flavored lollipop is not a funny line. The MPAA are such a bunch of ass wookiees. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks