What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in the dark ages, before Alfred Hitchcock and family sailed for America at the behest of David Selznick, he directed a handful of nice, little British films, of which Young and Innocent (1937) was the third from final.

This is a film that was in PD hell for a number of years, and is still sold as PD by those who have little care about the copyright laws. I wonder how Amazon or Barnes and Noble would feel if someone created on-line retailers with the same names as theirs? Probably wouldn't notice.

Regardless, this edition, from the recently shut down Network, a major purveyor of quality British films, was properly licensed. And I commend them for trying.

I had the MGM DVDs in my library - donated my 16s aeons ago - and thought that even at this late date, and because of discussion on this forum, I'd best take a look.

I came away both pleased, because there actually is some decent quality to the image and track and displeased, as there has been zero attempt at clean-up. What I'm seeing a an unstable image that looks a bit like a used 35mm print, derived from a dupe neg. Light positive and negative scratches, occasional wear, semi-attractive detritus, and an image that seems to drunkenly wander about the screen.

The problem - and it's not with Network, so much as the owners of the IP, who seem far to busy to write a letter to get the pirated copies out of the way, is that with just a few pounds spent on clean-up, this could have been a spectacular release. And it's not as if the film was released in 1997. It's from 2014, so there's no excuse.

A wonderful Hitchcock film, and a pity that this and a few others aren't with Criterion, who would actually do something nice with them.

Image – 3.25 (Region B)

Audio – 3.5 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Love the films, and had to see it with my own eyes. All it needed was a bit of love.
Some of those Network releases of films from the 30's & 40's--Sabotage, to my untrained eye, looks much better, and certainly Brief Encounter, though that was funded by the David Lean Foundation--seem to have quite a bit of clean-up and stabilization. Don't know why this one didn't. And yes, not certain why Criterion didn't license it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Some of those Network releases of films from the 30's & 40's--Sabotage, to my untrained eye, looks much better, and certainly Brief Encounter, though that was funded by the David Lean Foundation--seem to have quite a bit of clean-up and stabilization. Don't know why this one didn't. And yes, not certain why Criterion didn't license it.

Especially since they'd released it on laserdisc back in the day (along with Sabotage and Secret Agent, among other, better-known Hitches).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I kept meaning to import Network's Sabotage and Young and Innocent discs, but I've held out for an American release. Criterion supposedly has the remaining iTV-owned titles: The Pleasure Garden, Easy Virtue, Waltzes from Vienna, Secret Agent, Sabotage, and Young and Innocent. Obviously, they've already released The Man Who Knew Too Much '34, The 39 Steps, and The Lady Vanishes. Kino Lorber put out the nine StudioCanal-owned films via one 5-film/2-disc set (Champagne, The Manxman, The Farmer's Daughter, The Ring, and The Skin Game) and four singles (Blackmail silent/sound double feature, Murder!, Rich and Strange, and Number Seventeen). Nobody seems to want to claim Juno and the Paycock and Cohen Media put out Jamaica Inn.

Criterion would be smart to put the four 30s titles in one of their trendy "catalog catch up" multi-film sets like the recent ones for Von Trier, Bunuel, and Haneke and maybe put the two silents as a double on its own (since The Pleasure Garden is Hitchcock's debut feature).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks