What's new

Blu-ray Review International A Few Words About A few words about…™ Odd Man Out (Network release) – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm apparently discovering the Network releases after the fact, and wonder if many Region A/1 collectors might have helped Network continue if multi-region players were more known by the general public.

Having bettered my Blu-rays of Young and Innocent and Sabotage, I've now received Carol Reed's brilliant Odd Man Out with James Mason in the lead.

One might presume that if Criterion is releases the domestic Blu-ray that it will be of better of at least comparable quality to the Network, as the Network was release in 2012 and the Criterion in 2015.

One might presume, if not a newer image harvest, at least better finishing work and a great compression.

I would have bet on Criterion, and I would have been wrong.

Comparing the two, the Network wins head and shoulders over the Criterion, which has an overall filtered appearance. The network has far more detail and is just more highly resolved.

For those who may not have a copy of this extraordinary film, best to grab a Network while you still can.

Be aware that this is Region B

Image – 4

Audio – 4.25 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The collapse of Network has many of us rushing to find copies in thier Network "hitlist". before the media vultures swoop down and grab them, only to inflate the prices, opportunity knocks!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The collapse of Network has many of us rushing to find copies in thier Network "hitlist". before the media vultures swoop down and grab them, only to inflate the prices, opportunity knocks!!
Is the a proper “hit list?” I ask that, knowing that the moment I import something it will receive a domestic release.

I recently ordered the import of King Henry the Fifth. Not yet arrived, but hopeful that it will be inclusive of the animated arrows, which were left out of a “restoration.”

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In what can only be called exquisite timing, I just snatched up a sealed copy at half the price of the others out there.

I have just three or four Network releases, all very good for one reason or another. I think they all resulted from a particular recommendation such as this one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m fine with the Criterion release because I couldn’t buy the Network release if I wanted to.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Thanks, Gary. I have the two Hitchcocks from Network, and I just snagged a copy of Odd Man Out from eBay. But there are a few other things I'd like to grab if I can.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Mr. Harris, I purchased this a few months ago, and had the same impression as you. It's now my go-to Blu as far as Odd Man Out is concerned, a film I find myself watching more often these days. There's definitely more depth and detail on the Network, especially on faces and in the intricacies of the sets and locations. I also prefer the contrast. It isn't perfect, as I could discern slight scratches and imperfections that aren't on the Criterion. But there were much fewer than I expected. For me, the increase in detail more than compensates. Plus, to these eyes, the Network is much more filmic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr. Harris, I purchased this a few months ago, and had the same impression as you. It's now my go-to Blu as far as Odd Man Out is concerned, a film I find myself watching more often these days. There's definitely more depth and detail on the Network, especially on faces and in the intricacies of the sets and locations. I also prefer the contrast. It isn't perfect, as I could discern slight scratches and imperfections that aren't on the Criterion. But there were much fewer than I expected. For me, the increase in detail more than compensates. Plus, to these eyes, the Network is much more filmic.
Yes, you did state so prior to RAH's thread.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, you did state so prior to RAH's thread.
Well, Robert, I'm a bit older than you, I think, and kind of forgetful. Also, I have a fairly small screen, and neither the eye nor the experience that Mr. Harris does, so I was a little surprised to see him agreeing with me, and wanted to express that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, Robert, I'm a bit older than you, I think, and kind of forgetful. Also, I have a fairly small screen, and neither the eye nor the experience that Mr. Harris does, so I was a little surprised to see him agreeing with me, and wanted to express that.
I hope you didn't take my post as some kind of criticism. I was simply acknowledging that you were the first to note on this forum that the Network BD was superior to the Criterion one.

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Some of Tooze' own caps show more detail discernible on the Network (the striations visible on the bottom lip of the driver in the second set of caps are completely blurred out on the Criterion), so I find it curious he would say they probably exhibit the same amount of detail in motion if not for the brighter image on the Network.

OTOH, the grayscale of the Criterion looks more filmic to me (in the caps there and on caps-a-holic).
The Network seems to have too hot whites and blacks rapidly falling into crush. Detail yes, but with more of an electronic signature. At least, going by those caps.

I was planning on picking this up in the next Criterion flash sale (reward points trump having it sooner from B&N), and since I would have to jump through hoops now, and pay more, to get the Network (if I even can), I'll have to just settle for what's available and try to enjoy it.

And hopefully be motivated to watch it before the eventual UHD gets announced.

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I bought the Network disc after reading this thread. I was surprised to realise that I’d never seen the film before. I don’t know why it’s past me by after all these years but what a brilliant film it is – even though it is somewhat depressing. Marvellous night-time photography by Robert Krasker, superbly detailed set design and surely James Mason’s finest performance. I’m so glad I’ve now seen it – thanks to Mr Harris in highlighting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks