Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2222 replies to this topic

#1661 of 2223 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 05:32 PM

Both are owned by CBS Studios, and would be released on CBS DVD/Paramount Home Video.

I almost had a Heart Attack when I first read this, as I thought it said Will be released on CBC DVD/Paramount Home Video). Good thing I double-checked. If these two ever get released I have to warn you, The Shock Wave radiating from my house will make the Russian Meteor look like a Whipper Snapper! :rolling-smiley:

• Greg Chenoweth likes this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,619( 727 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,363   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#1662 of 2223 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't think there should be any music issues at all. From what I've read, the songs performed by the Splits were original songs specifically written, produced and recorded for the show. Yes, some sort of compensation would be required for the song writers and performers on the songs, but as far as I know, the songs themselves are owned outright by Hanna-Barbera.

Looking at both the Deca album and the Kellogg's singles (I have the album and both singles), all are copyrighted by Hanna-Barbera. They all also say (and this is most directly related to the actual songs themselves) A Past, Present and Future Production by David Mook for Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.

The credit on the third and last Decca single ("Love To Love"/"Pretty Painted Carousel") is slightly different. This is from memory but IIRC it still says "A Past, Present And Future Production" but the actual producer credit says Aaron Schroeder (or possibly Schroeder and Mook). I have a promo copy that says "stereo" on the label but is actually mono. Initial copies of the We're The Banana Splits album did not carry a copyright notice at all (it was omitted in error) but a copyright for Hanna-Barbera was added to the second pressing front cover. There are many copies out there with the copyright notice added on a sticker. But this album is from 1968, and prior to 1972, the copyright laws in the US were different -- I am not sure how this works, but generally on albums from the 1960s, I don't see a copyright notice for the recorded sound itself -- which would be (P) in a circle rather than © -- but there is often a notice for the artwork, which is what this has to be. I'm not a lawyer nor a copyright expert, but I have read that prior to 1972, there actually wasn't legislation protecting the copyrights of sound recordings in the United States. That changed in 1972, and somehow it was amended retroactively. I realize what I'm saying sounds like nonsense, but I have read references to this in more than one place. Perhaps someone more well-versed in copyrights and legal stuff can clarify this.

Aside from that though, the entity that owned the copyright and the entity that retained the tapes don't necessarily have to be the same.

Someone on the Steve Hoffman Music Forum wrote a number of years ago that they saw a budget Banana Splits reissue CD on the MCA label, but only saw it once as if it was released and then quickly withdrawn. IIRC they said it was definitely different from the widely-circulated bootleg on the "Hollywood Library" label from the mid-1990s. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this.

Edited by Mark Y, June 30 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#1663 of 2223 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 05:12 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of a release for The Hillbilly Bears?  I guess it would have to be released as part of Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show.  Without question, it is the greatest series about pipe smoking, gun toting bears in television history.

#1664 of 2223 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted July 02 2013 - 05:45 PM

Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel were said to have been started several months ago. Not long after the confirmation that Yogi's Gang was being worked on. So there are progressing farther into the "long term project" kind of thing but there are now where near as long as say Huckleberry Hound and Captain Caveman have been.

But given if that article plays out to be accurate on the second half as it was the first half we should be expecting Captain Caveman soon. So that gives us good reason to think even those long term projects will eventually come to fruition.

However i would expect Atom and Secret to be in a little less problematic than the earlier funny animals. Their repeats on CN in the past still had openings and closings for credits. So i would base on that idea that the masters may be a bit more in order than the others.

A recent post also mentioned that they had a bunch of HB shows in the work with more to follow shortly. So that makes me think they've got another batch on the near horizon, and some more will be started soon. Our last batch had five releases (with WHV throwing a surprise sixth), so we might be looking at several more releases coming this summer.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1665 of 2223 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm still looking for more leads but tonight Warner Archive retweeted someone on twitter that posted artwork for Captain Caveman.

https://twitter.com/...7112577/photo/1

Edited by MattPriceTime, July 05 2013 - 06:00 PM.

• derosa likes this

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

#1666 of 2223 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm still looking for more leads but tonight Warner Archive retweeted someone on twitter that posted artwork for Captain Caveman.

Holy high definition, Batman!

#1667 of 2223 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 10:42 AM

Very good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warner Archive retweeted someone on twitter that posted artwork for Captain Caveman.

Very good news!!!

I searched and found an announcement for an upcoming Comic-con discussion panel:

It mentions both Captain Caveman, and Space Stars upcoming releases!

http://comiccon2013....no#.UdsL1D5C7qN

Warner Archive Collection presents a look at the legacy of Space Ghostand the Herculoids, previews the upcoming release of Space Stars, take a detour to examine everyone’s favorite pre-historic superhero Captain Caveman, and discuss a very special upcoming Blu-ray release. Join WAC Podcast hosts Matthew Patterson and DW Ferranti and notable guests James Tucker (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) and Steven Melching (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) for this entertaining survey of some truly super-toons.
Thursday July 18, 2013 12:45pm – 1:30pm

Edited by derosa, July 08 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#1668 of 2223 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,240 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 11:05 AM

Very Good News indeed for Captain Caveman and Space Stars. And if the facebook rumours from a year and a half ago are true Space Stars may be the complete 1 hour show.

That gives me hope for complete shows of Yogi's Space Race, The Chatanooga Cats, and Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape.

Yogi's Space Race is one of my Holy Grails next to the rest of H-B's 60's Animal shows even though I don't care for the disco segments. I would really enjoy seeing it again in its original 90 minute version.

Very good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good news!!!

I searched and found an announcement for an upcoming Comic-con discussion panel:

It mentions both Captain Caveman, and Space Stars upcoming releases!

http://www.givememyr...edule-released/

Warner Archive Collection presents a look at the legacy of Space Ghostand the Herculoids, previews the upcoming release of Space Stars, take a detour to examine everyone’s favorite pre-historic superhero Captain Caveman, and discuss a very special upcoming Blu-ray release. Join WAC Podcast hosts Matthew Patterson and DW Ferranti and notable guests James Tucker (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) and Steven Melching (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) for this entertaining survey of some truly super-toons.
Thursday July 18, 2013 12:45pm – 1:30pm

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1669 of 2223 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 11:24 AM

Interesting to see everything coming together here. The guy who posted the CC art used to be a Warner PR guy and Warner Archive retweeting it made it legit.

Now last year they gave us two previews at Comic Con, and now we see it again. Also let's flash back to several months ago when someone posted a list that WA told him most of that were on the way, i at first was a little skeptical but Space Stars was one of them, and look what is coming. The other three mentioned on that post, Galtar, New Adventres of JQ and yogi's Treasure Hunt. Also let's remember they said they were going to do the Yogi spinoffs in order, Yogi's Gang finished up so Yogi's Space Race should be next, and it may be started by now or getting ready to start. We might want to move Galtar and NJQ up into possibles.

All in all this only goes to show what they say comes to fruition. Captain Caveman is one the few long projects that now seems all but confirmed to be happening soon. Huckleberry Hound being the only HB show said to have been worked on that has taken a long time. I say our hopes have been well placed with this news.

Since CC and SS are the more comic-con type shows, i bet some other shows are probably getting ready to roll out soon too.

Edited by MattPriceTime, July 08 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#1670 of 2223 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 04:40 PM

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-6/18679

The remaining Super Friends season has been announced. So now WHV let's get back to season sets of their non-DC involved HB material. :D

#1671 of 2223 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 05:15 PM

I came here to post the Superfriends news, Matt beat me to it !

I'm still hoping for an announcement of the wide release of 1979

World's Greatest Superfriends episodes, as i've had no luck finding

that disc in the Target stores here in Canada.

#1672 of 2223 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 05:21 PM

If the laff-a-lympics volume was any precedent that was like 9 months later the wide release happened. So we're at over 3. So maybe 1/3 of the way there?

#1673 of 2223 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 07:32 PM

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-6/18679

The remaining Super Friends season has been announced. So now WHV let's get back to season sets of their non-DC involved HB material. :D

What year/season of Superfriends is this?  I always get so confused.

#1674 of 2223 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 05:46 AM

What year/season of Superfriends is this?  I always get so confused.

The 1981-82 season

#1675 of 2223 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 07:43 AM

I put a post on the WAC Facebook page noting the release of Superboy Season 3, and requesting that they also release the 1960s Superboy cartoons.  WAC responded by saying that if those cartoons are released, it will have to come from WHV, not WAC.  Although I was very pleased that WAC responded, I found that response frustrating, and I imagine that it may be the same for the 1960s series, the Adventures of Batman.  In both cases, it's frustrating because I would think that either Superboy or the Adventures of Batman could be a very successful WAC release, but whether they could sell enough copies to be a successful WHV release I don't know.  I wish that, rather than deciding that certain franchises can only be released by WHV, Warner would look at the library for those franchises on more a case by case basis. 

#1676 of 2223 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 07:46 AM

The 1981-82 season

Thanks for letting me know.  I wish these Superfriends releases contained the dates on them.  There are so many similarities among the seasons, I imagine they have lost sales because people were not sure which incarnation of the show they would be buying.

#1677 of 2223 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 09:21 AM

I wish these Superfriends releases contained the dates on them.  There are so many similarities among the seasons, I imagine they have lost sales because people were not sure which incarnation of the show they would be buying.

Confusion is made worse by TVSHOWSONDVD often adding the wrong names to shows.

They like to group the news stories by "show name" and since Superfriends had a name change

almost every year, it is actually not correct, and it's confusing to label any shows except the 8 episodes

from the 1979-1980 season as "World's Greatest Superfiends".

http://en.wikipedia....riends_episodes

The current Wikipedia page is a good reference for episodes.  The "shorts" that are being released in

the next couple of DVD sets aired just as "Superfriends" between the fall of 1980 and 1983.

The eight so called "lost" episodes made in 1983 didn't get on TV right away, in the USA, until later in

syndication and reruns, which is why they have been called "lost".

#1678 of 2223 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 09:28 AM

This should complete the SF series. I hope they'll consider the '68 Batman show and the rest of the Filmation Superman.

#1679 of 2223 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm guessing DC still hasn't chosen to let their animation properties over to WA yet, Hence why those shows are stuck in the WHV bubble. But then again WHV with these have been going back to do some season sets. So we may still have hope, that when they say WHV will do them, they might actually surface within the next decade lol.

#1680 of 2223 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 02:48 PM

Not true!  TVShowsonDVD.com just reported that BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD is coming to bluray through Warner Archive.  Also, don't forget the SUPERBOY TV series is going through WAC now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users